Man, you know? Man, man! Man... You know?

• Thread starter Deleted member 128221
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128221

The ADCC commentating was atrocious. It was as if they had picked two american dudes in Barcelona to do the commentating. Sadly, they couldn't even enunciate one clear coherent sentence the whole event. This is an excerpt from one the matches.

"Yeah, man. Man!! Awesome. He is very good. Yeah, man, he is awesome. Yeah, I want him to win, man. Yeah, me, too. Awesome, man. He is awesome. Man, you know what? What? I wanna see Marcelo and Lucas Leite in the final. [Lucas wasn't even competing] Man, you know? Yeah, man, I don't even know what to say."

The camera work was horrendous as well. When Marcelo was about to tap his opponent they cut to another fight. Then they showed Marcelo with his hand being raised as though that was the important part. They also did that with Yahya in his first round match. ADCC's coverage was dreadful. They need to realize it's a very important event and that you can just assemble a crew 3 hours or so before it actually starts.

Anyway, the fighting at least was truly sublime.

This ADCC was my first and i thought it was going to be a really professional event with a good looking (professional looking) competition area and a professional coverage commentating wise and camera wise, boy was i surprised and let down. :)

The not so important but just plain embarrassing things:

Bruce buffer was on crack, he announced fighters names wrong, he even announced the wrong fighters alltogether and in one of the semifinals i believe he announced the wrong winner.

The arena looked like your regular gymnasium sports hall, nothing special. They could have atleast restyled the venue too look more professional with ADCC colors and logos to make it look cool, maybe cover the floor so that you dont have the ugly wooden floor showing. Its so easy to do but yet they didnt.

The commentators were horrendous. They were openly biased, they bashed fighters and teachers openly and couldnt even express themselves on plain english. Basically ANYONE could have done a better job then them.

Now to the worst part, the camera production:

Whats the most important part of having a pay per view you might ask? Well how about SHOWING THE GODDAMN MATCHES for one? :) Jesus christ it seemed like they would go out of their way to cut away to show an EMPTY MAT just as a fighter got a dominant position. There are so many occasions this happened i cant even begin to mention them all but i guess one of the worst instances were when you actually missed Marcelo Garcias first match and instead watched something stupid like the (nonexistant) crowd, an empty mat or someones hand beeing raised.

Oh well, atleast the PPV was pretty cheap, but if i had to stay up all night to watch it like some of you guys in the US, i would be pissed. :)

at one point the guy was actually saying this and i'm not making it up.

"dude did you shower? you didn't shower man. did your girlfriend shower? i saw you last night i knew you didn't shower, man."

and then later on

"are you picking your nose? is your girlfriend picking her nose?"

also

"where are you going man?"

seriously, you either comment on the fights... or SHUT THE FUCK UP, IDIOT. it just ruined it for me.

Everyone was pissed off at the commentary. they were absolutely terrible. I expressed my distaste in this thread, along with many others:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/adcc-commentary-1057586/

They really should have hired a couple veterens (maybe someone that was supposed to compete but got injured) that can speak good english. When Victor Estima was up there, that was the only point in the day we got decent coverge of what was happening, and they kept trying to change the subject in to an interveiw. Which brings me to my next point:

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING INTERVIEWS DURING FINAL AND SEMI-FINAL MATCHES AT AN EVENT THAT ONLY HAPPENS EVERY TWO YEARS!!!?!?!??!?!??? AND ESPECIALLY TAKING THE CAMERA OFF THE MATCHES SO WE CAN SEE IT???

Just got to see what you guys were seeing

I'd take Eddie Bravo's commentary over this bullshit any day...even if we have to sit through his 10th Planet propaganda...

Didn't he commentate for ADCC once? What happened?

Jesus, guys. It's ADCC, not the UFC. Commentating doesn't matter. Any 'flash' in the venue doesn't matter. Yes, the camera was off a few times, but considering how many matches we saw over how many days, there were very few mistakes.

The commentators were horrible, but ADCC isn't going to pay professional commentators to do it. It isn't needed. If you need a professional telling you what the grapplers are doing, you shouldn't be watching ADCC.

Just be happy that you got to see the event at all, because they could very easily have just not shown it.

Jesus, guys. It's ADCC, not the UFC. Commentating doesn't matter. Any 'flash' in the venue doesn't matter. Yes, the camera was off a few times, but considering how many matches we saw over how many days, there were very few mistakes.

The commentators were horrible, but ADCC isn't going to pay professional commentators to do it. It isn't needed. If you need a professional telling you what the grapplers are doing, you shouldn't be watching ADCC.

Just be happy that you got to see the event at all, because they could very easily have just not shown it.

I disagree with you 100%, and honestly don't believe you could have watched the live feed and still feel this way.

there were two screens at a given time rotating between THREE different matches. Good Commentary is essential for the audience to know what the fuck is going on because they can't even see one of the matches at all at any given time, and the other two are constantly being switched around and fucked with. when people are PAYING MONEY for a PPV event it should be professional and well organized. You're talking about it as if it were a free courtesy, it wasn't. they made tons of money off the live broadcast, and surely paid these commentators. why not pay better ones a little more and keep your paying fan base happy?

I disagree with you 100%, and honestly don't believe you could have watched the live feed and still feel this way.

there were two screens at a given time rotating between THREE different matches. Good Commentary is essential for the audience to know what the fuck is going on because they can't even see one of the matches at all at any given time, and the other two are constantly being switched around and fucked with.

I watched both days live on my computer, and except for a few examples, I had no problem following most matches.

I watched both days live on my computer, and except for a few examples, I had no problem following most matches.

Great, then how Did pablo beat askren?

How about fowler, how did he do?

I can keep going, but something tells me you're the "out of sight, out of mind" type

Great, then how Did pablo beat askren?

How about fowler, how did he do?

I can keep going, but something tells me you're the "out of sight, out of mind" type

Yeah that annoyed me, the Kron matchup was good but they never even panned over to Fowler/Azevedo. Which I was really hoping to see... :(

Jesus, guys. It's ADCC, not the UFC. Commentating doesn't matter.

I think commentating can make it a lot better. I love hearing Golide and Rogan (even though Rogan can sometimes be too biased, "I think Belcher knows he got robbed," is an example of that) and that's part of the experience. I remember when I was a complete noob and hearing the commentating really helped me understand.

Now, imagine if a semi-articulate grappler got in there to commentate then it would've made it so much better. I loved the fighting but having a "coach" there would have been amazing. Ryan Hall, Mike Fowler, and Jeff Glover are all articulate and great to listen to. Bravo would've been great, too.

I am actually interested in what REAL submission grapplers have to say. During the Mendes-Cobrinha fight I heard interesting things about needing more weight to pass (I had never thought about it like that) and that Mendes is a master at implementing his game and not deviating from it and that's why he's so good and that Cobrinha had never won tournaments because he wasn't 100% committed to bjj until he got his black belt and that life was just getting in the way a bit. That was really great. But the really dumb commentator just kept changing subjects to dumb shit like getting trapped in Mansfield for 5 days or how much of a beginner he is at bjj or that he wanted to see more "action."

I know the fights were amazing and in the end that's all that matters in the end but I'd love to see ADCC get the attention it deserves. It was pitiful to see an empty stadium. Why do you think the UFC has blown up in recent times? It's because people like Dana (even thought he has a potty mouth and sometimes does things tyrannically) starting taking it seriously and giving it the respect it deserved.

THE NOSE-PICKING CONVERSATION IS AN INSULT TO THE EDUCATION LEVEL OF THE AUDIENCE BUYING THE PPV AND AN INSULT TO SUBMISSION GRAPPLING IN GENERAL.

muted + personal music was 100x better than this

Yeah, I did that, too, from time to time but the noob in me wanted some guidance and so I tried to learn something from the commentators. Unfortunately, I only learned one guy was an Olympian who had horrible knees and was BJ Penn's wrestling coach and that the other one had a vocabulary of 10 words.

It should've come with a disclaimer.

I think commentating can make it a lot better. I love hearing Golide and Rogan (even though Rogan can sometimes be too biased, "I think Belcher knows he got robbed," is an example of that) and that's part of the experience. I remember when I was a complete noob and hearing the commentating really helped me understand.

Now, imagine if a semi-articulate grappler got in there to commentate then it would've made it so much better. I loved the fighting but having a "coach" there would have been amazing. Ryan Hall, Mike Fowler, and Jeff Glover are all articulate and great to listen to. Bravo would've been great, too.

I am actually interested in what REAL submission grapplers have to say. During the Mendes-Cobrinha fight I heard interesting things about needing more weight to pass (I had never thought about it like that) and that Mendes is a master at implementing his game and not deviating from it and that's why he's so good and that Cobrinha had never won tournaments because he wasn't 100% committed to bjj until he got his black belt and that life was just getting in the way a bit. That was really great. But the really dumb commentator just kept changing subjects to dumb shit like getting trapped in Mansfield for 5 days or how much of a beginner he is at bjj or that he wanted to see more "action."

I know the fights were amazing and in the end that's all that matters in the end but I'd love to see ADCC get the attention it deserves. It was pitiful to see an empty stadium. Why do you think the UFC has blown up in recent times? It's because people like Dana (even thought he has a potty mouth and sometimes does things tyrannically) starting taking it seriously and giving it the respect it deserved.

THE NOSE-PICKING CONVERSATION IS AN INSULT TO THE EDUCATION LEVEL OF THE AUDIENCE BUYING THE PPV AND AN INSULT TO SUBMISSION GRAPPLING IN GENERAL.

+1

good commentary makes for a great fight

that being said i sort of like TUF fights because of the difference

For such a prestigious event, ADCC is very poorly run.

My biggest problem is the competition area itself. I attended in 2007, and it looks like the same setup was being used in 2009. There is no safety area when the grapplers go out of bounds. In 2007, I watched several people get thrown onto concrete head first because of the ridiculous mat situation.

For the most prestigious grappling tournament around, you'd think they'd come up with the idea of a slightly different colored mat for the out of bounds area.

+1

good commentary makes for a great fight

that being said i sort of like TUF fights because of the difference

ditto. isn't that strange though. It's like give me the best or don't give me anything but the sound effects and the corners screaming.

For such a prestigious event, ADCC is very poorly run.

My biggest problem is the competition area itself. I attended in 2007, and it looks like the same setup was being used in 2009. There is no safety area when the grapplers go out of bounds. In 2007, I watched several people get thrown onto concrete head first because of the ridiculous mat situation.

For the most prestigious grappling tournament around, you'd think they'd come up with the idea of a slightly different colored mat for the out of bounds area.

lol.

Next time i'll volunteer for the commentary if they just fly me out, haha. All you have to put up with is the lawn guyland accent and lots of foul language. I'm sure it will still be 100x's better than 2009's though.

Next time i'll volunteer for the commentary if they just fly me out, haha. All you have to put up with is the lawn guyland accent and lots of foul language. I'm sure it will still be 100x's better than 2009's though.

Hopefully they pair you up with a guy from Boston.

"He's goin' for a knee-bah!"

i just played music lol but i think they should try to get good comentators for next time maybe like eddie bravo , even joe rogan lol , frank mir , kenny just anyone with a good bjj black belt that know there stuff

Hopefully they pair you up with a guy from Boston.

"He's goin' for a knee-bah!"

kenny florian lol

but seriously if matt serra was the the comentator it would be great if he was comenting on askerns wrestling he would bring up hughes :icon_lol:something like " you know who wrestles like that? hughes what a dick"

matt serra and frank mur for comentators

Back