Manager who sets up his fighters

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
So I live on an island far away. A place very far away from mainland USA. Me and a couple of guys from my gym have signed with a manager from the mainland, mostly for getting us fights through his connections. He takes a measly 10% from our purses. Which usually doesn’t add up to much.

The thing about us island guys is that we are always game to fight, seemingly no matter how much the odds are stacked against us. We are a small island so we all know each other, and fights are very limited due to lack of promotions and corruption among the government sanctioning bodies. Which makes us very desperate and willing to fight, especially on the mainland.

So about my manager. One thing my teammates and I have noticed, is that his mainland fighters get very easy fights, to build their record up. But when it comes to us island boys, we get extremely hard fights in which we are often the underdog. So we figured, why is this?
Turns out the manager gets a finders fee from promotions for finding them fighters. Fighters in which they can use to build up their local guys and “pad” their record. So my manager gets 10% of a very small purse, even if it’s for a title or a main event, but he makes the majority of his money from the promotion paying him to find guys to get sacrificed. The art of double dipping.

It makes sense why he’s so ok with us getting underpaid for our fights and getting clearly overmatched with opposition. One of our guys fought and won a main event for the title (beat their hometown hero) and got paid $2000. When my other friend contacted the promotion directly, they offered him $5000 for a main event title fight! The manager was taking $3000 directly from that fighters purse

Anyways, not sure what was the point of this thread, but just wanted to get that out there. It’s a cold game with limited opportunities for some, and I’m just disappointed in the lack of opportunities in general.

It can also be a great learning lesson for up and coming fighters, on one way a manager can ruin your record, career and screw you out of money… without it being in the contract.

Last edited:
So I live on an island far away. A place very far away from mainland USA. Me and a couple of guys from my gym have signed with a manager from the mainland, mostly for getting us fights through his connections. He takes a measly 10% from our purses. Which usually doesn’t add up to much.

The thing about us island guys is that we are always game to fight, seemingly no matter how much the odds are stacked against us. We are a small island so we all know each other, and fights are very limited due to lack of promotions and corruption among the government sanctioning bodies. Which makes us very desperate and willing to fight, especially on the mainland.

So about my manager. One thing my teammates and I have noticed, is that his mainland fighters get very easy fights, to build their record up. But when it comes to us island boys, we get extremely hard fights in which we are often the underdog. So we figured, why is this?
Turns out the manager gets a finders fee from promotions for finding them fighters. Fighters in which they can use to build up their local guys and “pad” their record. So my manager gets 10% of a very small purse, even if it’s for a title or a main event, but he makes the majority of his money from the promotion paying him to find guys to get sacrificed. The art of double dipping.

It makes sense why he’s so ok with us getting underpaid for our fights and getting clearly overmatched with opposition. One of our guys fought and won a main event for the title (beat their hometown hero) and got paid $2000. When my other friend contacted the promotion directly, they offered him $5000 for a main event title fight! The manager was taking $3000 directly from that fighters purse

Anyways, not sure what was the point of this thread, but just wanted to get that out there. It’s a cold game with limited opportunities for some, and I’m just disappointed in the lack of opportunities in general.

It can also be a great learning lesson for up and coming fighters, on one way a manager can ruin your record, career and screw you out of money… without it being in the contract.

This is very common in boxing. Most managers are POS's who make money selling someone else's blood.

With your kickboxing experience and mma record you should be with a good manager. I know a few, I’ll dm you
That would be awesome. Thank you

This is very common in boxing. Most managers are POS's who make money selling someone else's blood.
I knew most boxing managers are corrupt and steal from their fighters but I didn’t know this was a main method to do it. I’m sure they have other sneaky ways as well?

That would be awesome. Thank you

I knew most boxing managers are corrupt and steal from their fighters but I didn’t know this was a main method to do it. I’m sure they have other sneaky ways as well?

Yeah they also undercut fighters. A promoter will offer the manager $15k to take a fight they know youd shouldnt. The manager might tell the promoter to write up the contract for $12k and theyll make sure you do it.

The other $3k goes into the manager's pocket.

Brah, he thinks you guys are cans.

Take Dr Taco's referrals, get a manager who wants to build YOU up.

]
Brah, he thinks you guys are cans.

Take Dr Taco's referrals, get a manager who wants to build YOU up.
Yeah he sees no potential or doesn’t want to invest in us. He building guys from the gym he trains at but I don’t think he cares about other guys from other gyms unless he sees big money potential

This and not only this.
If boxer is intended to build up, his team will carefully research potential opponents and weight in all pros and cons....
In pro boxing 0 is really valuable thing and ranking ofc too.
If boxer wants to get some normal record for beginning, he too doesn't care about $ he will get paid for first pro fights.
f.e 3-0 always will be better than 2-0-1 not alone to talk about 2-1 pro record.
Ofc unless opponent is some big name ....

That is such an unfortunate situation to be with a black stabbing manager. I understand the mentality of taking on all comers due to increasing your opportunities since your main competition can be a smaller pool at home.
Do you live in Hawaii?

That is such an unfortunate situation to be with a black stabbing manager. I understand the mentality of taking on all comers due to increasing your opportunities since your main competition can be a smaller pool at home.
Do you live in Hawaii?

90% chance it's that or Guam

It sucks. Basically the same shit as any other entertainer. Change a couple words and could be a description of me trying to get my band gigs in NYC in '98.

It sucks. Basically the same shit as any other entertainer. Change a couple words and could be a description of me trying to get my band gigs in NYC in '98.
How is that the same thing? Did you manager set you up to perform on stages you couldn’t handle so you would get mob lynched?

How is that the same thing? Did you manager set you up to perform on stages you couldn’t handle so you would get mob lynched?
Well, definitely got put on some bills where we did not fit and weren't particularly welcome. Probably shouldn't have put a purposefully offensive punk band that does a gross out abortion song, like we did , on a left wing fundraiser benefit for instance.

But if you view my comment as dumb and spurious I yield to you, good sir. I'm just an old, lonely, not particularly intelligent man who posts his idiot thoughts on the internet.

Well, definitely got put on some bills where we did not fit and weren't particularly welcome. Probably shouldn't have put a purposefully offensive punk band that does a gross out abortion song, like we did , on a left wing fundraiser benefit for instance.

But if you view my comment as dumb and spurious I yield to you, good sir. I'm just an old, lonely, not particularly intelligent man who posts his idiot thoughts on the internet.
Haha. Do you think he did that on purpose or he was just doing his best to get you on whatever. You think he stole from you too?

Reactions: MT5
Haha. Do you think he did that on purpose or he was just doing his best to get you on whatever. You think he stole from you too?
Lol. We didn't make enough to steal from. Coulda made more mugging homeless people, probably. I think that particular thing was a well intentioned "I got you a show!" thing. Your original post just brought me back to all that sorta crap. You know, you walk in somewhere and they start to show you what they want you to do and you get uneasy. You're like "Should I be here? Did someone make a mistake? Do they know what I do?" It was basically a joke band. I wasn't expecting to be Blink-182 or anything. Your comment just brought me back to showbiz cruddiness and BS and the kinda funny awkwardness of it all.

That's all I meant to invoke with my comment. :)

That was the sad truth of the 90's live music scene in Eastern Europe in general. During one day you could end up in some wild gangbang party in Brno where supermodel looking birds were begging you for a permission to suck your cock... to wake up the next day very early so you could visit some hick-ville town in Hungary for the rest of the week.

Eastern Europe so helpless and cheap poverty hole etc where you should be especially careful about MMA matchmaking.
Bi*ches are in all countries, ' gold diggers ' too but for fighting.... they might sneak in real beast for you and then....
+ their " poverty " level is hyped up without real reason by ppl living in some kind of 1993 th memories.

So if about possible career in pro boxing guy should initially decide his career part : bum, journeyman, random guy, " maybe I'm something " or.... they consider me as potential prospect.
If you do not want to have career as bum, then you for first fights should get wins or at least draws.... doesn't matter $ you might get for these fights.

Back