Manny Pacquiao at Featherweight or Welterweight?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
Which achievements of Pacquiao will always be greater for you?

Pacquiao beating the legendary Mexicans: Barrera, Morales, Marquez at Featherweight divisions, or Pac moving up and destroying De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito at Welterweight divisions?

The only guy on that list who he beat at FW was Barrera. Morales 2 and 3, Marquez 2, and Barrera 2 were at SFW (he's 1-1 with Marquez at WW). Hatton was at JWW. Cotto and Bradley 2 and 3 were at WW. Margarito was at JMW.

His best wins in my mind are Barrera 1, Cotto, and Morales 2. His ideal weight as a fighter was likely anywhere from 130-140. By the time his boxing ability truly developed, he had outgrown FW and he had to drain a ton at SFW. 135 would have probably been his optimal weight even though he only has the one fight there.

The only guy on that list who he beat at FW was Barrera. Morales 2 and 3, Marquez 2, and Barrera 2 were at SFW (he's 1-1 with Marquez at WW). Hatton was at JWW. Cotto and Bradley 2 and 3 were at WW. Margarito was at JMW.

His best wins in my mind are Barrera 1, Cotto, and Morales 2.
Just look at it as Featherweight or "super" featherweight, (to put together his wins against the Mexicans)
and with Hatton as "light" welterweight, and Margarito at "super" welterweight,
you know what I mean.

Just look at it as Featherweight or "super" featherweight,
and with Hatton as "light" welterweight, and Margarito at "super" welterweight,
you know what I mean.

I don't know, the weights matter quite a bit. He was an appreciably different fighter at FW than he was at SFW. If you're lumping those two weights together, his wins at those weights are more meaningful than what he did at WW.

It was quite something to behold when this small guy wrecked Hatton, DLH and Cotto at 140-147, but I guess his most significant wins happened at 125-130.

Back