Marathon Recorld Holder Kelvin Kiptum , killed in car crash at age 24.

What the fuck. Unbelievable. I was just looking at his training schedule a couple of days ago.

RIP to him and his coach. His family must be devastated. Such a shame, he had a real shot at achieving some amazing things.

What the fuck. Unbelievable. I was just looking at his training schedule a couple of days ago.

RIP to him and his coach. His family must be devastated. Such a shame, he had a real shot at achieving some amazing things.

He was more than likely going to be the 1st to break 2 Hours in an official Marathon, a potential legend gone way too soon in such a tragic way.

He was more than likely going to be the 1st to break 2 Hours in an official Marathon, a potential legend gone way too soon in such a tragic way.

Yeah he was on track to break it. Good chance it was going to happen soon. I was looking at his preparation for Rotterdam. I've never seen a training routine like his in my life.

Kipchoge would have to come up with something unbelievable to break it. Other than him, I can't imagine anyone with a realistic chance right now. The two hour barrier is probably going to stand for some time still.

Very sad to hear he was an amazing athlete RIP.

I saw a in an article that several Kenyan runners have died in car crashes somewhat recently. Wtf is up with that?

I was reading that as well. Pretty crazy.

He was the latest of numerous top Kenyan runners to die in tragic road accidents.

David Lelei, an All-Africa Games silver medalist, died in a car crash in 2010. Marathon runner Francis Kiplagat was among five people who were killed in a crash in 2018. Nicholas Bett, who won gold in the 400 meters hurdles at the 2015 world championships, also died in a car crash in 2018.

Rudisha, former 10,000 meters world champion Moses Tanui and Olympic silver medalist Paul Tergat have all survived serious road accidents.

Samuel Wanjiru, the 2008 Olympic marathon champion who was also tipped to be an all-time great, died in 2011 at the age of 24 after falling from a balcony at his home in Kenya.

He told his father that he would run 1:58-1:59 at Rotterdam.

NAIROBI, Kenya -- Kelvin Kiptum's family said Monday that their dreams and future hopes have been shattered following the death of the marathon world-record holder in a car crash Sunday night.

Kiptum and his Rwandan coach, Gervais Hakizimana, were killed in the crash near the town of Kaptagat in western Kenya, in the heart of the high-altitude region that's renowned as a training base for the best distance runners from Kenya and across the world.

Kiptum's father, Samson Cheruiyot, a farmer, said in an interview with regional network Citizen TV that he had lost his only child, one who had promised -- a day before his death -- to build him a house and buy him a car through running.

Kiptum's mother had complications following their son's birth and doctors advised against further pregnancies, Cheruiyot said in the interview. He recalled that in their last conversation Saturday night, Kiptum told him that he was at peak condition and felt he could run the upcoming Rotterdam Marathon in April in under two hours, predicting he would bring down his record of 2:00.35 to 1:58-1:59.

Kiptum had refused to further his studies in electrical engineering and chose to focus instead on running, which was his passion, Cheruiyot said.

"He said that he had enough of electrical wiring, and that if he continued running he would uplift us," his father said. "I accepted and went to book for him a room near the training camp where he stayed until he won his first major marathon."

Kiptum's wife, Asenath Cheruiyot, said they were to travel together in April to Rotterdam, where Kiptum hoped to finish the race in less than two hours. She added that Kiptum was to finance her business ventures.

"At times I would tell him he's working out too much," she said. "He loved his children so much, I don't know what I would tell them."

Kiptum was one of the most exciting prospects to emerge in road running in years, having broken the world record in only his third appearance in an elite marathon. His record, set at last year's Chicago Marathon, was ratified by international track federation World Athletics just last week.

Yeah he was on track to break it. Good chance it was going to happen soon. I was looking at his preparation for Rotterdam. I've never seen a training routine like his in my life.

Kipchoge would have to come up with something unbelievable to break it. Other than him, I can't imagine anyone with a realistic chance right now. The two hour barrier is probably going to stand for some time still.
There needs to be more elites going into the marathon distance in their prime for the 2 hour barrier to be broken now. Most of them use their athletic prime years in the shorter distances like the 5k, 10k, etc. Kiptum was the rare one to not go that route, RIP.

There needs to be more elites going into the marathon distance in their prime for the 2 hour barrier to be broken now. Most of them use their athletic prime years in the shorter distances like the 5k, 10k, etc. Kiptum was the rare one to not go that route, RIP.

It is a shame that runners tend to avoid it but the prime years for the marathon are a bit older. A bigger competitive pool would never hurt but you're also weeding out a lot of the people that can't handle it mentally.

Regardless, Kiptum was an anomaly. He set the world record in his third official marathon and his training is basically unheard of. I don't think anyone could really replicate what he did both physically and mentally. At some point two hours will fall and it will be a shame that it wasn't him.

42 kms in under 2 hours?

giphy.gif

It's ridiculous. In freedom units, it corresponds to running faster than a 4:34 mile for 26 miles.

It's hard to even comprehend how that's possible.
Yeah I'd say the average person can't hold that pace for 100 meters. I run everyday I could barely hold that for 400m. Most people have no clue the level of fitness and speed elites hold over the marathon distance.

I'm going to run 400m to the liquor store in his memory. RIP. If I never post again I died.

Yeah I'd say the average person can't hold that pace for 100 meters. I run everyday I could barely hold that for 400m. Most people have no clue the level of fitness and speed elites hold over the marathon distance.

Yeah , last few years I've gotten into long distance running more and more and am a comfortable 10-15k runner and the pace that the elites run is so mind-boggling to me and Kiptum was an absolute Prodigy of talent and workrate.

Probably nothing but still interesting.

Police in Kenya’s Keiyo South arrested four people who visited men’s marathon world record holder Kelvin Kiptum’s house just four days before he died, local reports said.

Kiptum and his Rwandese coach Garvais Hakizimana died on Sunday evening in a road crash in the Kaptagat area along Elgeyo Marakwet road, police confirmed.

His father Samson Cheruiyot had mentioned a visit by four strangers at the top athlete’s home in Chepsamo village four days before the collision took place, Nation.Africa reported on Wednesday.

The four suspects were now in police custody and being questioned. They were initially held at Kaptagat police station in Elgeyo Marakwet County and have now been sent to Iten town for further questioning on their nature of visit by detectives.

Terrible news didn't realize there had been a bunch of these crashes recently. I once worked the NYC marathon I was by the entrance back into Central park. Amazing watching the pros flying and that's almost the beginning of the last mile. Absolutely flying after 25 miles. They are running faster than my best mile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back