Marcelo Garcia Black Belt Dillon Danis finishes MMA Debut by Toehold

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Also Bellator 198 last night

Danis has also appeared at Polaris. Very nice finish, I've been missing this kind of approach in MMA since Palhares has been gone.

Wonder why he chose to go for a tow hold rather than a kneer ir a hh...

Watching the fight it looked like he was turning away in the outside ashi position to take his head out of reach of being punched by the other guy, and in that position the angle wasn't good for a heel hook, but was good for a toe hold.

I wonder that as well. That was a fast tap though.

Watching the fight it looked like he was turning away in the outside ashi position to take his head out of reach of being punched by the other guy, and in that position the angle wasn't good for a heel hook, but was good for a toe hold.

I guess it depends how much you trust the toe hold, it’s not my preferred leg attack, so I rather keep adjusting my position for a inside hh...

I guess it depends how much you trust the toe hold, it’s not my preferred leg attack, so I rather keep adjusting my position for a inside hh...

Belly down position is pretty fdukcn strong i feel like you can finish pretty much any leg lock from there tbh.

Last edited:
Honestly Dilon Danis has always been a pretty big toe hold guy. He has familiarity with the modern heel hook game but I've known him since purple belt and when I think of his subs I think of him chaining together arm-in guillotines/darces for chokes, toe holds/kneebars for leg locks, and taking the back for rear naked chokes. He's also pretty good at straight armbars.

He's got a solid heel hook game and he heel hooked Jackson Souza but his bread and butter for lower body subs are toe holds and kneebars.

Honestly Dilon Danis has always been a pretty big toe hold guy. He has familiarity with the modern heel hook game but I've known him since purple belt and when I think of his subs I think of him chaining together arm-in guillotines/darces for chokes, toe holds/kneebars for leg locks, and taking the back for rear naked chokes. He's also pretty good at straight armbars.

He's got a solid heel hook game and he heel hooked Jackson Souza but his bread and butter for lower body subs are toe holds and kneebars.

He came up mostly doing gi under IBJJF rules at MG's, so it makes sense he'd have more of a gi-centric leg lock game. Personally, I think there was an element of panic tapping from his opponent, but it doesn't really matter as Dillon was deep enough that even had he gutted out the toe hold it would have been easy for Danis to transition to a more destructive sub like a kneebar.

It kind of looked like he was gripping for the heel hook, but then the can turned so he took the toe hold.

Edit: Nevermind. I just watched the replay from a different angle and he was going for the toe hold the whole time.

He came up mostly doing gi under IBJJF rules at MG's, so it makes sense he'd have more of a gi-centric leg lock game. Personally, I think there was an element of panic tapping from his opponent, but it doesn't really matter as Dillon was deep enough that even had he gutted out the toe hold it would have been easy for Danis to transition to a more destructive sub like a kneebar.
I didn't notice the semi-panic tap but I can see it on a re-watch now.

Now that you say that about IBJJF I think the few grapplers that seem to prefer toe hold/kneebar chains in open rule sets over achilles/heel hook chains seem to be guys that were/are more active IBJJF guys.

He was in a world of trouble, but it's weird to see a pro not even try to defend by kicking the hands with his free foot.

Neiman Gracie hit a really nice saddle entry in round 1. 2 minutes remaining in the round:

http://www.bellator.com/fight/56k2mi/bellator-198-neiman-gracie-vs-javier-torres

Hell, I'm not even sure if it's technically a saddle. Both legs were inside.

Garry Tonon specializes in that position, with both legs trapped. He crosses the legs over each other to either side to make the heel hook finish happen.

Usually gets into it from double unders or triangle escape.

Garry Tonon specializes in that position, with both legs trapped. He crosses the legs over each other to either side to make the heel hook finish happen.

Usually gets into it from double unders or triangle escape.

I've even seen him jump on it from inside closed guard.

Was a good card- I'm on my phone, but there were at least 5-6 subs. Standing arm triangle was sweet.

Danis sounds like a tool- wanna be tough guy trying to play the heel. Just turned me off.

Back