News Mark O. Madsen retires from MMA

I don't wanna come across as an asshole, but the guy called himself The Olympian but the best he ever won was bronze.
that always made me think he was a bit of a dick

He won a silver medal at the OLYMPICS. That qualifies to call yourself The Olympian.

He won a silver medal at the OLYMPICS. That qualifies to call yourself The Olympian.
Forget about the medal, just going to the Olympics qualifies you to call yourself an Olympian. And if people want to talk about how Madsen started his MMA career late, it's because he stayed in Greco-Roman wrestling for so long. He went to the Olympics not once but 3 times, in 2008, 2012 and 2016.

I don't wanna come across as an asshole, but the guy called himself The Olympian but the best he ever won was bronze.
Everyone that participates is an olympian. The fact that he won silver means he was like among the most of most succesful people in the whole olympic scene.

Forget about the medal, just going to the Olympics qualifies you to call yourself an Olympian. And if people want to talk about how Madsen started his MMA career late, it's because he stayed in Greco-Roman wrestling for so long. He went to the Olympics not once but 3 times, in 2008, 2012 and 2016.
Making it 3 times, on top of getting medals... yeah that poster is just an asshole :D

Last edited:
He went 4-0 and appeared to be making a decent splash in the deepest division despite his age. Hope he has a happy retirement from active competition.

Not surprised, he has had a very long career prior too MMA and he is old now. Probably has lots of knee and hip issues as well no doubt.

His walkout music was the Olympics theme. Just added to the douche vibes.

Never expected much from him given his age, but as a Dane it's always fun to see a rare fellow countryman in the UFC. Had he started MMA in his mid 20's he might have been elite. Respect and happy retirement.

started too late and on a wrong division.

i don't know if 145 was a good division but the guy cut a lot and was undersized in some of his fights,

good luck for him.

He was a silver Olympic medalist.

{<huh}

First of all he won silver. You're an Olympian if you participate in the Olympics. You don't even have to win a medal. Medalling at all is a massive accomplishment.

I dont understand how a silver medalist in the Olympics gives up that easily. A silver medalist in the Olympics should be well accustomed to failure in the process and journey to success and youre going to tell me two losses in MMA was all it took to dissuade him into retirement? Odd as hell.

Ronda lost in the round of 8, got through the loser bracket and got Bronze as well as Edith Bosch.
Edith Bosch only lost in the semi finals against the champ and actually beat Ronda.
So in my book Ronda is a far away 4th, still called bronze for some weird ass rules. Because there is no real bronze final match.

Beats Ronda in every aspect, except being murican

Screen_Shot_2020-11-23_at_7.01.00_PM.png

I wonder how many more fights it would've taken him before Cruz and Cormier did some minimal prep work (or just learned to read) and realized that he wasn't an Irish guy named "O'Madsen"

Wasn't the most exciting fighter but good for him. Retired at a good time and wish him the best

I dont understand how a silver medalist in the Olympics gives up that easily. A silver medalist in the Olympics should be well accustomed to failure in the process and journey to success and youre going to tell me two losses in MMA was all it took to dissuade him into retirement? Odd as hell.

Olympic athletes retire long before 39.

Back