Movies Marlon Brando's Unforgettable Response to 'The Greatest Actor Ever' Claim!

Is Marlon Brando in your all-time top 5 greatest actors?

• Total voters
giphy.gif

He's a great actor but not top 5 to me especially considering after he did the Godfather he basically phoned in every role after that for a paycheck

He's a great actor but not top 5 to me especially considering after he did the Godfather he basically phoned in every role after that for a paycheck

He pretty much solidified his greatness as one of the greats in pretty much his first 5 performances.

A Streetcar Named Desire
Viva Zapata!
Julius Caesar
The Wild One
On the Waterfront

Everything after was just bonus, even if he just phoned it in.

He pretty much solidified his greatness as one of the greats in pretty much his first 5 performances.

A Streetcar Named Desire
Viva Zapata!
Julius Caesar
The Wild One
On the Waterfront

Everything after was just bonus, even if he just phoned it in.

Yeah but not top 5 all time

I dont think its fair comparing actors from his generation to anyone who started after, especially post mid to late 60s.

Marlon and others from his era laid the blueprints for guys like Deniro, Pacino, Nicholson, DDL, etc. He was thee method actor.

Actors who came after, should be better as they had the blueprints laid out.

After a great victory.— What is best about a great victory is that it liberates the victor from the fear of defeat. “Why not be defeated some time, too?” he says to himself; “Now I am rich enough for that.” - Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science

He was flippant about the profession and his gift for it, perhaps because he had such an innate and easy understanding of human behavior that accepting praise for it seemed silly.

His response in the OP is in line with what he tries to convey to Dick Cavett in this interview here:

Acting is doing something in order to achieve an objective.

Back