Marlon Vera: "I 1,000% Respect Cruz. I Stand by My Comments But I Wasn't Talking Sh*t."

lots of fighters dont understand the meaning of Percent

Huge win for Vera and very impressive, but I did have him behind on the scorecards before the finish. His ways of winning is fairly unique in that he tends to give up points on the scorecard and get kill shots or even win on the scorecards while being outstruck (against Rob Font) -- very fun fighter that is dangerous in 5 round affairs. I don't see him ever winning a title with this approach, but I'd love to see him prove me wrong. I just feel against guys like Simon, Merab, and Sterling he may run into some trouble -- wrestling seems to be his achilles heel, but he has shown that he can ride out some rounds and remain dangerous later in fights.

He got a controversial split decision, so take from that what you will. He was able to eek by it that time.

That same year, 2016, Cody would absolutely embarrass Dom and style on him. We can't say his signature career win is TJ, but just months later he got out classed by Cody because he was past his prime.

My point is you cannot consistently beat ranked modern bantamweights, or even fighters of the last 10 years, with that style. Dom didn't and couldn't.
Fully agree. That style had an expiration date and had he not sat on the sidelines for years on end, he would have been exposed like this awhile ago. His legacy benefited from not fighting lol.

Chito is rapidly entering the top 5-10 dumbest MMA fighters list.

Well, this seems fair enough, TBH.

Dominick DID duck straight into that kick.

One is a two-time champion and arguably the greatest ever in his weight class, the other hasn’t even sniffed a title shot. That’s all we need to know.

He got a controversial split decision, so take from that what you will. He was able to eek by it that time.

That same year, 2016, Cody would absolutely embarrass Dom and style on him. We can't say his signature career win is TJ, but just months later he got out classed by Cody because he was past his prime.

My point is you cannot consistently beat ranked modern bantamweights, or even fighters of the last 10 years, with that style. Dom didn't and couldn't.

i'm not one of those guys making excuses that he was past his prime when he lost to Cody. to me. there's nothing to say about that but that Cody had his number. he beat him so thoroughly that if Cody said the same thing as Vera i wouldn't really take it as disrespectful because Cody owned him every second of that fight. however, Vera saying it is a little ridiculous to me because like i said, he lost the first 3 rds before finally catching him.

i also don't see how just because Cruz lost to Cody how that proves it's unsustainable. if we're going to go by the 9 yr rule as a professional, Dominick started losing right on his 9 yr mark if we don't count the years he sat out.

i can accept if you said that style is unsustainable at the elite level when you're old, but ranked modern BWs? he beat Pedro Munhoz right before the Vera fight.

This past Saturday, Vera knocked out Cruz in the fourth round of the main event of UFC San Diego. Afterward, “Chito” said Cruz’s style was “very low level” and “not the best style for MMA,” which drew the ire of some who felt Vera was pouring salt in the wound of his downed foe. That was not his intention though.

Speaking with Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour, Vera made it clear that he stands by what he said, but that he has a ton of respect for Cruz.

On the "Low Level" line:

Cruz is a pioneer of MMA, becoming the first UFC bantamweight champion when the promotion absorbed the WEC in 2013. Though much of his career was set back due to ongoing injury issues, Cruz still defended his title three times and is generally considered to be the greatest bantamweight of all-time.

And on Saturday, for much of the fight he looked to still be in peak form, winning the first two rounds on the judges scorecards with his trademark style.

Ultimately it was Vera who got his hand raised though, after landing a vicious head kick in the fourth round that put Cruz out. “Chito” says that was always what was going to happen — he just needed to be patient.

On Cruz' performance and movement:

Vera certainly does seem to be improving. Since losing to Jose Aldo in 2020, Vera has put together four straight wins, including devastating knockouts of Cruz and fellow MMA legend Frankie Edgar. Vera is now the No. 5-ranked bantamweight in the world according to the UFC rankings and could be fighting to the title in the near future.

With that in mind, Vera is already over the Cruz win, and looking ahead to what comes next.

Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/8/...ands-by-comments-on-his-style-i-wasnt-talking

Vera fought smart... Risky not winning rounds but smart.

Cruz was banking on Vera having more emotion in the cage,,, Cruz even talked it up in an attempt to bait Vera but it didn't work. Good plan on Cruz's part but Vera was prepared.

Nobody survives a head kick like that one.

Well you should watch the video before defending the context which you fail to understand because at no point did I dispute that he never fought Brad Pickett or Renan Barao and he wasn't stating facts because it's not a fact he never fought "true" batamweights because he did such as Faber, Dillashaw, Bowles, Munhoz, it's not a fact he doesn't have a high level style of mma considering he's literally the greatest batamweight of all time.
I never said he wasn't. I said I think he's the best BW currently and TJ is probably second when you look at their accomplishments in the division. I wasn't defending, I'm just saying people shouldn't get triggered when fighters make honest assessments about fighter's styles or competition. As a fighter you analyze all of that. It may be a dick thing to say but at least he's being real. That I can respect, regardless if I agree with what he said or not.

Chito finishes any version of Frankie and Cruz

If this was a 3 round fight, he lost a decision. Pretty big leap to say he finishes any version of Cruz.

And he's clearly wrong. Just because it may not be traditional, it doesn't mean it's low level obviously.
Nah. You can be successful and have low level shit.

I had a buddy, got 3rd in state. College scholarship, all American in freestyle. Knew three moves. Wasn't good at any of them. Super low level wrestler, super high level athlete.

Back