Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns round. 1 - Was it the greatest round in boxing history?

Was it the greatest round in boxing history?

• Total voters
Yes, it was the greatest round.

And it’s still the greatest fight. It’s exactly what the sport was meant to be and two fighters fighting exactly how the rules asked them to. Sportmanship also entails performing the sport with conviction like you understand the risk of losing and aren’t going to perform to “not lose” but actually perform to win in spite of the risks. They fought with the integrity most cannot.

I think it was up there. There have probably been better rds but since that was the first rd of the fight, it makes it even more special

Yes, it was the greatest round.

And it’s still the greatest fight. It’s exactly what the sport was meant to be and two fighters fighting exactly how the rules asked them to. Sportmanship also entails performing the sport with conviction like you understand the risk of losing and aren’t going to perform to “not lose” but actually perform to win in spite of the risks. They fought with the integrity most cannot.
That's a great way to put it, it was amazing. Also, <3 Dissection

There are other great rounds of course, round 1 of Dempsey vs Firpo or round 10 of Corrales - Castillo come to mind, but I am partial to this one. They landed 95 power shots combined. Epic shit.

Been asked before and I answered it like this. There are plenty of phenomenal rounds in the sport, what those didn't have that this one did was the nailbiting, voltage charged anticipation of all of us just not knowing what the hell would happen. The unstoppable force vs. the immovable object, no one knew what would happen. So, the anticipation, the significance of it makes it, if not the greatest round ever, right up there with any.

One of the most dramatic, exciting rounds I can remember is Eubank Watson Rd 11.

Somebody should smack you for equating Gatti / Ward with this.
That’s like equating Nickelback with Mozart with a “Hey, it’s music, ain’t it ?”
Ward was a gate keeper but he had one of the finest collection of liver punch knockouts in boxing history. Gatti wasn't the most technical boxer but his come from behind wins show he was as determined to win as anyone else that has ever laced up the gloves.

Maybe there isn't enough two way action to qualify as the best round ever but some of the best rounds are when a guy is almost stopped but he rallies back from the precipice of defeat to win the round.

mancini-frias was a fantastic first round and I was bowled over by the barkley-benn fight, like i say, been some real great rounds, i've even seen some action packed rounds with marginal contenders and clubfighters that you could say rival Hagler Hearns for action, but they didn't have all the other magic ingredients that that fight did. Two great champions in their primes, both kayo punchers, one a deadly sniper, the other a clubber who ruined careers. I was a kid so i didn't really know as much about the sport as i would over the years so like a lot of people, i was dazzled by the Hearns win over Duran but I didn't understand that resilience and stamina are very important too. What got me in the hearns camp though was hearn's speed and his power together, both were punch for punch greater than Hagler's. Like I say, i was a kid and didn't know there are a million other things that can win a fight. i learned a lot from that fight and i'm still not sure if there has been a more electric moment since that time.

Last edited:
Back