Media Masvidal on UFC 244: A lot of people are going to be mad over the money I'm making.

giphy.gif

I think Masvidal made a good point, which Sonnen brought up on his podcast:

The man has killed it against top competition in his last 3 fights, he was the hottest subject in MMA... then Dana asks him to fight for half the money that he made in his previous fight.

That can really be demoralizing for anyone. You basically have the best year of your professional career, then you have to take a 50% pay cut for your next performance.

That shit can cut deep.

The man has killed top competition in his last 3 fights, he was the hottest subject in MMA... then Dana asks him to fight for half the money that he made in his previous fight.

That can really be demoralizing for anyone. You basically have the best year of your professional career, then you have to take a 50% pay cut for your next performance.

That shit can cut deep.

Wasn't he getting the same amount as he did with Nate?

The man has killed it against top competition in his last 3 fights, he was the hottest subject in MMA... then Dana asks him to fight for half the money that he made in his previous fight.

That shit can cut deep.

While this is true, I also think it has to do with his confidence or lack therof, in beating Usman.

He knows it's a very losable fight for him, and will derail his hype train, thus having to get back in line with the other top contendors, and losing that BMF aura around him right now.

He's just trying to cash out while he's still got a few fights left in him at the elite level, and knows how much a loss to Usman could do to his recent success, and notoriety.

I don't think Masvidal is doing himself any favors, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

He is all over his head and he isn't even a champion, I'm starting to think he might not be confidence enough to take on Usman and he will lose all his "fame", I think he should have take the gamble and if he beats Usman he would became a bigger star and with the exposure and the belt on his side he would have way more leverage for negotiations. I mean who exactly straight up decline a freaking title shot??? this is supposed to be main goal for every fighter

Masvidal is doing fine. He's riding around in his drop-top right now

Max-Cady.jpg

Loved pre “BMF” Masvidal, now he’s unbearable

Hope someone beats him into irrelevance soon.

“I’d rather say a lot of people are gonna be happy, but seeing how a lot of my colleagues have been talking and stuff, when they actually find out these numbers … ‘Wah! That’s not fair man!’” he added, mimicking a baby crying

View attachment 776025

“I’m getting paid and not played, that’s for sure,” Masvidal said with a laugh. “Listen, your boy is happy. They took care of me.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...nate-diaz-fight/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Khabib Bless

View attachment 776027

Lol

great post

That shit can cut deep.
you make some good points here Cooliox
Jorge is feeling it

but Jorge would do better let his management do the negotiating for him rather than negotiate in public, and in the end
a contract is a contract

my two cents
I'd really like to see Jorge and Conor fight at 155!

That shit can cut deep.

I don't know if the "getting half" is something to be taken literally. He got paid $500K base vs Nate and PPV points I am assuming and that was the new deal he signed before fighting Diaz. He said he's gonna make half cause the other guy can't draw so this all has to do with PPV points. Are they cutting his base in half or is it the PPV he's not happy with?

You guys realize that fighters renegotiate mid-deal all the time right?

How about he makes it midway through his deal before he tries to renegotiate?
He's currently completed 12.5% of it (1 of 8 fights).
It's a bit early to be complaining about his contract, no?

With the shitty way most fighters are paid, I fully support them doing whatever they need to do to squeeze money out of the greedy UFC's hands.

With the shitty way most fighters are paid, I fully support them doing whatever they need to do to squeeze money out of the greedy UFC's hands.
So, it's your position that fighters shouldn't have to honor their contracts but the UFC should?
DeepRightDeer-size_restricted.gif

So, it's your position that fighters shouldn't have to honor their contracts but the UFC should?
DeepRightDeer-size_restricted.gif

You mean the contracts that GROSSLY favour the UFC and have been widely mocked in pro sports circles?
The contracts that allow the UFC to cut a fighter at any time, without notice or compensation?
How about the shady practices where fighters have no choice but to sign long deals or the allegations of the UFC compelling a fighter to extend early or get screwed with shitty fights or even getting cut?
How about the % revenue the fighters receive?

It's cute that you think it is the UFC getting the shaft here.

Back