Matt Hughes vs Anderson Silva

I could see Hughes getting an arm triangle on Anderson. I don't think it would happen but Hughes had a dangerous submission game, strong takedowns and great cardio. I think Anderson likely finishes him with strikes but Hughes would have had a shot for sure especially when Anderson first came into the UFC and his TDD wasn't as good as it later became.
Both on Steroids, and the fact that Matt used to train behind the barn, I give him the Edge.

Remember farm boy Matt said if Anderson beats his boy Rich up that he will move up to middleweight and fight Anderson? Yeah not a good look, k-1 Hughes wasn’t developed yet, Anderson would of demolished Matt easily.
No shit

He also defeated Penn.

Matt Hughes doesnt get the credit he deserves.

Matt Hughes is a legend no doubt, number 2 or 3 on the all time WW list depending where you have Woodley. But Anderson was a weight class bigger and just straight up better. He'd have brutalized Hughes.

It was below average back then not average. The best Anderson's TDD ever got was average at best

He stuffed Shale in their second fight and stuffed Weidman a few times in their fights. I think he defended a couple of takedowns from DC and Brunson too if I remember correctly. He TDD improved a lot after the first Shale fight.

Lol, you're comparing a loss Anderson had in his 3rd pro fight to a loss Matt Hughes had right in the middle of his prime?
No, I've always liked that "Hughes vs Pelé" fight, while Azeredo vs Silva was a snoozefest. Both these fighters would become extremely exciting strikers, with 2 different styles (Azeredo got the short end twice against Gomi, but he's looked pretty good doing so), but for some reason their early meeting was just a boring lay and pray fest.

I think prime Anderson would win against Hughes, maybe 6 times out of 10? I can totally see him KOing Matt in impressive fashion, but I can also easily see him getting taken down and slowly tire. Matt is smaller than Chael was, but he has a much better submission game, so I don't think he would have to worry a lot about Silva's BJJ.

Would have loved to see that one for sure... Anderson vs Matt Lindland is another dream match of mine that sadly, never materialized.

He stuffed Shale in their second fight and stuffed Weidman a few times in their fights. I think he defended a couple of takedowns from DC and Brunson too if I remember correctly. He TDD improved a lot after the first Shale fight.

The first round of the Shale rematch went exactly the same as the 1st fight. What changed was Anderson cheating and blatantly committing fouls like multiple short grabs and fence grabs in the 2nd round, while the retarded ref was as high as Herb Dean

method=get&s=anderson-silva-chael-sonnen-07-08-12-15-11-31-740.jpg

fE37f.jpg

Weidman shot 1 or 2 half hearted TDs to get him against the cage and avoid knees a couple times but when he exerted a real entry and setup Weidman got him down easily in both fights.

DC got him down every time he wanted but Silva was well past his best and coming off a long layoff/surgery so I don't hold it against him. He even exposed DCs overrated top game where he couldn't pass his half guard for 15 minutes lol

Silva's TDD was average at its best. It prolly was at it's best post Shale but it's hard to say because after Hendo (who dominated the 1st round much like Shale did both fights) he didn't fight a wrestling threat for years until Shale, then Weidman a year later too. Maia developed his wrestling years and single leg chains years later but he sucked at it back then. Post Lutter and Nate taking him down when they wanted, Irvin, Cote, Leites, Vitor etc. weren't wrestlers and Forrest on xans thought he was Gene Tunney or something and don't attempt a TD or gurappling in general

Last edited:
lol, i'd think a lot less of anderson silva if he were to lose to matt hughes, that's for sure.

Honestly Anderson wins 10/10 times and it wouldntt even be even close. This would be sadly one sided. Hughes has zero advantage is every aspect.

Hughes was drastically overrated, basic stand up, the game wasn’t evolved back then and a 1 dimensional guy like him can dominate those guys back then.

This is a horrible take. Hughes was #1 p4p at one point.

Hughes had a chance on the pre UFC anderson. I mean even lutter did ok against him.

Back