Max eye pokes

Does the UFC consciously choose not to prevent eye pokes (they easily could change the gloves or demand automatic point deductions) because eye pokes can lead to highlight real KO’s?

Max pointed to a spot to stand and bang in the middle of the Octagon and I’m surprised JG could even see the spot.

I love Max and his KO was one of the best of all time but he intentionally eye raked twice before it happened…
Weren't the eye pokes in round 2?

The guy fought 3 more rounds before that knockout happened. Are you saying he was blind the entire time?

Give me the number of your dealer.

Weren't the eye pokes in round 2?

The guy fought 3 more rounds before that knockout. Are you saying he was blind the entire time?

Yes, round 2.

Not blind outright, but his vision wasn’t where it would have been without being poked in the eyes.

Yes, round 2.

Not blind outright, but his vision wasn’t where it would have been without being poked in the eyes.
The guy literally fought for over 15 minutes after those eye pokes. He even won the 4th round. Must be some kind of a miracle for a blind man or someone with impaired vision.

Lol the salt is real.

Last edited:
The guy literally fought for over 15 minutes after those eye pokes. He even won the 4th round. Must be some kind of a miracle for a blind man or someone with impaired vision.

Lol the salt is real.

I was rooting for Max and I’m happy he won. Just not happy about the eye pokes.

I think it’s ridiculous to assume they had no impact on his vision or on the fight.

Those pokes to each eye were brutal he had no time to recover either. As he feared the fight would get stopped

Lol the salt is real.
It's not a yes/no, black/white issue. To think eye pokes had no impact is absurd.

Tbf getting repeatedly punched in a broken nose for 4 rounds prob fucked w his vision more than the eye pokes which happened much earlier. The nose damage seemed to change the entire fight, and Gaethje’s tough ass had some reactions after getting hit in it that made it pretty clear it was a big problem.

But you’re right that eye pokes are and will continue to be a goddamn nuisance and it sucks. If the pokes compromised Justin’s vision for the duration of the fight then that fuckin blows. I don’t personally think so, but I bet on Max, so there could be some bias on my end. Either way, I suppose we’ll never know cus I can’t imagine Gaethje saying as much.

It's not a yes/no, black/white issue. To think eye pokes had no impact is absurd.
Early on? Sure.

I was refering to the part where TS was shocked that Gaethje was able to see where Max was pointing at the end of the 5th round. Ignoring the fact that Gaethje just fought 3 rounds perfectly fine after those eye pokes.

I mean teh Chris got persecuted by Sher-wokes but Max gets a pass?
Im sure there’s some likability bias, but the contexts were meaningfully different also which is worth noting. Weidman jumped on the dude and ‘finished’ him, immediately taking advantage of a guy reeling from the pokes. Doesn’t mean Max’s pokes don’t matter, but they did seem to be less impactful on the outcome fwiw.

The statement 'Intentionally eye raked' is hyperbole. Yes, Max eye poked him twice, accidentally, and should have had a point deducted, but Gaethje took about a minute each time and said he was fine. The nose was more of a factor than the eye pokes.

You make it worse by claiming the UFC was involved in the lack of a point deduction to lead to a highlight reel KO when it's at sole discretion of the fight official.

Additionally, Max is considered a clean fighter. Gaethje is more notorious for eye pokes. If anything, he would know to take the full allotment of time if he was compromised, which he didn't, leading me to believe he was okay.
I agree with you probably 99% of the times, but this time except on where you say "The nose was more of a factor than the eye pokes". It's impossible for us to know this. There is absolutely zero chance that Justin would not have said he was fine at a fight, let alone being BMF.. I think the eye shit did factor in more than the nose, as much as the nose shit was brutal...but we can't know for sure

But yeah, "UFC being involved" is a stretch by TS haha

Im sure there’s some likability bias, but the contexts were meaningfully different also which is worth noting. Weidman jumped on the dude and ‘finished’ him, immediately taking advantage of a guy reeling from the pokes. Doesn’t mean Max’s pokes don’t matter, but they did seem to be less impactful on the outcome fwiw.
Justin also did not do forward cartwheel-flip when poked like Bruno… 🤷🏽

I agree with you probably 99% of the times, but this time except on where you say "The nose was more of a factor than the eye pokes". It's impossible for us to know this. There is absolutely zero chance that Justin would not have said he was fine at a fight, let alone being BMF.. I think the eye shit did factor in more than the nose, as much as the nose shit was brutal...but we can't know for sure

But yeah, "UFC being involved" is a stretch by TS haha

I didn’t claim the UFC was involved as though they were whispering in the referees’ ear at that very moment.

The fact of the matter is, the UFC is involved as this is their product, they assign the gloves, and they have known about the problem with eye pokes for years (and know there are solutions). So in my mind, they see a problem but choose not to solve it - and it’s fair to speculate about why. Big KO’s are good for business. Eye pokes are cheating but go unpunished, which creates narratives and reasons for rematches. They might genuinely think it spices the product up. If they don’t - why not solve it?

Now, ITT someone did post that they have some new gloves. Ok, great. But why aren’t the fighters already wearing them then?

I honestly can’t think of an explanation other than they don’t care or notice, but Rogan brings it up on his podcast enough (and it happens often enough) that it’s hard to believe they just innocently don’t notice what’s going on.

Early on? Sure.

I was refering to the part where TS was shocked that Gaethje was able to see where Max was pointing at the end of the 5th round. Ignoring the fact that Gaethje just fought 3 rounds perfectly fine after those eye pokes.
also that final exchange was one where they put their heads down and just said fuck it and started swinging. Hell, there’s a good chance in an exchange like that the fuckers didn’t even have their eyes open 😆. I’m obviously fucking around, but let’s not act like a ko in that sequence where dudes are seeing their feet is cus of an eye poke like 3 rds prior

Last edited:
We all know a point deduction can completely change the outcome of a fight and with the current system, there's a lot of leeway with fouls. So the Ref sure as hell isn't going to stir the pot and the fighters aren't going to hold back with their two fingers.

You basically can't have your ice cream and eat it too. You either make fouling a systematic process, where you can't leave at the discretion of the ref. Either a fighter fouled or they didn't, simple as that. But we already know this will cause a lot of problems.

I don't think the eye pokes were that bad and Max listened to the warnings and fought three more rounds without another incident. I was really dreading another eyepoke because then it could have tainted a great fight. The two were unfortunate but it didn't happen again after.

I didn’t claim the UFC was involved as though they were whispering in the referees’ ear at that very moment.

The fact of the matter is, the UFC is involved as this is their product, they assign the gloves, and they have known about the problem with eye pokes for years (and know there are solutions). So in my mind, they see a problem but choose not to solve it - and it’s fair to speculate about why. Big KO’s are good for business. Eye pokes are cheating but go unpunished, which creates narratives and reasons for rematches. They might genuinely think it spices the product up. If they don’t - why not solve it?

Now, ITT someone did post that they have some new gloves. Ok, great. But why aren’t the fighters already wearing them then?

I honestly can’t think of an explanation other than they don’t care or notice, but Rogan brings it up on his podcast enough (and it happens often enough) that it’s hard to believe they just innocently don’t notice what’s going on.
Before I read all that, why you quoting me if i quoted @Substance Abuse ? Was it right?

UFC just issued new gloves and they don't do a damn thing to help fix eye pokes.

Eye pokes are on the menu boys.

Back