"Max looks worse than usual" No, you just have recency bias from the Kattar fight.

Yair looked amazing. He's always been fast, creative and unpredictable. Like prime Ferg and Jones you never know what's coming next. Front kick, spinning backfist, step-in elbow, flying knee? But this time it looked like his boxing leveled up too. He was able to put some very fluid combos together in addition to his creative style. With him and Moreno, Mexico is officially on the map.

Some just don't like Yair too much for some generally unknown but rubbish reasons.

Let's adress the elephant in the room: If Yair never broke his foot he wouldve won.

Max eats a ton of shots in nearly every fight he takes. He has one of the highest number of significant strikes absorbed per minute in UFC history. Just because he was dominant against Kattar doesn't mean he's dominant against every guy he fights.

So no, he didn't look worse today. He has always been hittable by strong strikers—he relies on his insane chin and endurance to tank shots and counter.

Give credit to Yair for being a creative and unpredictable striker instead of saying "Max looked off" or something idiotic like that. And of course Max still conclusively won the fight which just goes to show that he can adapt to his opponent's strengths.

I think for most of us “usual” means the Ortega and Kattar fights, as we all appreciate that Volk is very tactical and tricky to look good against. And Max was sensational in those fights.

With that as the standard, he did not look sensational last night, full stop, whether you think it was his drop off or Yair’s improvement over what Ortega and Kattar offered.

Personally I agree that Yair deserves a ton of the credit. For starters he bludgeoned that leg. I cannot believe Max was able to walk out of the cage. Had Yair not beaten up his own limbs in the process I think he would’ve started dropping Max with calf kicks in the 4th and 5th. No surprise that Max could not plant and throw with his usual zip.

People will do anything to not give Yair his fair props lol

First of all, Max is one of my favorite fighters ,but that half step foward with hands down and then a push instead of punch was weird. It was like he was trying something new that clearly is not as effective as his usual deeper stance feet planted , sliding in and out and volume combos. Props to both fighters though both winners in my book!

He arguably won both Volk fights imo especially the 2nd one
You can debate the second fight though I'd recommend you watch the third round again, the round that seemingly most agree the fight turns on, and do so without Bisping's incredibly biased commentary and tell me after reflection you don't give that round to Volk. Bottom line though no one outside of Max's camp thinks he won the first fight, there's no debate.

Some just don't like Yair too much for some generally unknown but rubbish reasons.
I can't even remember why I didn't like him, I think it had something to do with the Stephens fights but I can't remember exactly what. Guess I'm a fan again?
<{vega}>{<shrug}

I didn't get to see the first 2 rounds, but from the 3rd round on, I really didn't think Max looked that good as he has in the past. Max just looked a shade slower with his strikes.

Second i believe. That's when he stopped kicking.
Damn, huge if true. I did find it strange that he kept falling when he threw high kicks. Gave Max a couple of free "takedowns".

Even so he still outstruck Max. I would love to see him fight Volk and Giga.

Let's adress the elephant in the room: If Yair never broke his foot he wouldve won.

Possible but that’s the price you pay for throwing tons and tons of kicks. It’s a foreseeable consequence that he would eventually have issues.

Damn, huge if true. I did find it strange that he kept falling when he threw high kicks. Gave Max a couple of free "takedowns".

Even so he still outstruck Max. I would love to see him fight Volk and Giga.

Yea I understand why he went for it but it was a terrible decision mathematically.

True. Off the top of my head, fighters that declined quickly after big losses:
-Tony Ferguson
-BJ Penn
-TWood
-Cowboy
-Spider
-Weidman
-James Vick
-Carlos Condit
-Ronda Rousey
-Renan Barao
-JDS
-Tito Ortiz
-Gray Maynard

Fighters that aged well after big losses:
-Teixera
-Aldo
-Edgar
-Robbie Lawler
-Oliveira
-Fedor
-Jan
-Barboza
-Anthony Smith
-Randy Couture
-Andrei Arlovski
-Brandon Moreno
Silva had me feeling down after that first Weidman fight then the rematch just did him in I really thought he was gonna drop the showboating and school Weidman in the rematch haha I was way off

Not so much Max but his opponent Yair.

if Max had fought someone else it could have been in an old fashion.

Give credit to Yair.

There was no point in that fight where I thought Max was in trouble. He made it look easy. At least, as easy as he can without finishing abilities. And Yair's a better striker than Orteger or Kattar. So Max not looking the same vs Yair as he did with them is normal.

Back