Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 27: Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

What's your rating for this film?

• 1 Star: Fuck this piece of shit.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've heard that before but have never seen it. I have been told by many after They Live it's downhill for his filmography.

They Live to me is between an 7 or 8 but last year when I watched it again it felt like a 7 to me, which in my ratings is good.

I would rank They Live as Carpenters 5th best/favorite film

Go ahead and watch it sherbro. Its a surprisingly creepy and weird film, but in a good way.

With regards to the subsequent Carpenter movies, I think even Escape From L.A. and Vampires are decent flicks and maybe even Village of the Damned. They only cost a couple of bucks on itunes.

Go ahead and watch it sherbro. Its a surprisingly creepy and weird film, but in a good way.

With regards to the subsequent Carpenter movies, I think even Escape From L.A. and Vampires are decent flicks and maybe even Village of the Damned. They only cost a couple of bucks on itunes.

Well you lost with me the vampires comment. Quite possibly the worst vampire movie I've ever seen.

The beginning was good but it got worse as it went on. Village was ok but only seen that as a kid and don't really remember too much.

Escape from LA had it's moments but wasn't a fan at all. Escape from NY is my #2 favorite Carpenter film.

I'll definitely check out Madness when I can. Christine and Starman and assault on precent 13 as well.

Assault for sure.

Well you lost with me the vampires comment. Quite possibly the worst vampire movie I've ever seen.

The beginning was good but it got worse as it went on. Village was ok but only seen that as a kid and don't really remember too much.

Escape from LA had it's moments but wasn't a fan at all. Escape from NY is my #2 favorite Carpenter film.

I'll definitely check out Madness when I can. Christine and Starman and assault on precent 13 as well.

Assault for sure.

Assault is a good film. Watch that and then the remake. Remake is quality.

Loved big trouble in China when I was little.. never going to rewatch it as I'm sure it'll spoil it

Last edited:
This is a great action movie. Its the type of movie that has the right mix of goof, self awareness, and fun action. Is it a master piece? No, but it excels at what it is. I think most people can watch it and enjoy it. There is a lot of lore that could have been explored. Its a great stand alone movie. Ties up the story it was telling very nicely.

They live is a cult classic, but not really a mainstream film, though most Carpenters aren't. I woud contend that even Mouth in the Madness is a really good movie for what it tries to be.

I think thats the last Carpenter film that does have hints of greatness to it but I think also were you can see he's losing his touch a bit in terms of building up atmosphere in a classy way compared to say Prince of Darkness, he played around with knowingly low rent cheese previously but Mouth of Madness I think is just plain cheesey at points, a bit "Steven King TV Movie" albeit with some good scenes mixed in.

I tend to think Big Trouble whilst it does have a good deal of action in it really besides the comedy what sells it is the atmosphere, Carpenter is absolutely in his element building up this weird underworld were we can constantly move into somewhere new.

Last edited:
One of the greatest movies ever made, I've loved it since I was a kid.

Just saw an interview with the lead storm Thunder the other day that was posted elsewhere, he lead a pretty damn interesting life, his knuckles look crazy too, he does bone hardening techniques by punching wood for 1-2 hours every day and he's in his 70's now.

Oh, Goood!

egg2.jpg

Last edited:
His real love was waxing poetic on the CB radio. The truck was just a vehicle to showcase his philosophical genius.

There is something zen about him in the film. He just kinda flows through everything with a certain attitude until the end. At the end of the movie he just continues on as he was before the whole adventure. He ended up making the save of the day with that knife throw because he was flowing and didnt let the previous blunders get to him.

Good flick. I enjoyed it. T'was quite humorous. I even enjoyed the cheesy effects, especially the floating eyeball. I'm not as annoyed at being called Wang now, as Wang is actually pretty cool.

Just finished the rewatch. This movie is just a ton of fun. Super cheesy, but good cheesy. The first time I watched it there was some confusion since I didn't expect Jack to be such a boob. But accepting and embracing this makes for most of the humor.

Yes, the FX look dated, but the movie doesn't take itself seriously enough for that to matter.

Kurt playing the whole thing as John Wayne was a stroke of luck and brilliance.

And God bless Kim Cattrell. One of the all-time gut-busting scenes in comedy. She was great in this film too.

There is something zen about him in the film. He just kinda flows through everything with a certain attitude until the end. At the end of the movie he just continues on as he was before the whole adventure. He ended up making the save of the day with that knife throw because he was flowing and didnt let the previous blunders get to him.

Most he got worked up was winning money at the beginning of the film.

Just finished the rewatch. This movie is just a ton of fun. Super cheesy, but good cheesy. The first time I watched it there was some confusion since I didn't expect Jack to be such a boob. But accepting and embracing this makes for most of the humor.

Yes, the FX look dated, but the movie doesn't take itself seriously enough for that to matter.

Kurt playing the whole thing as John Wayne was a stroke of luck and brilliance.

And God bless Kim Cattrell. One of the all-time gut-busting scenes in comedy. She was great in this film too.

I'm guessing the film keeping the hero/sidekick switch a bit less obvious maybe part of why the public didnt take to it originally although Carpenter and Russell have often suggested there was some kind of politics involved, some fued between execs were one deliberately didnt promote it very well to hurt another.

Its a shame Kim Cattrell didnt get picked up on a bit more for this kind of role as I think she plays the knowingly over the top heroine very well, the other similar film that comes to mind for me is the much lower budget Spilt Second. I can't say I was ever a massive Sex in the City fan but I was certainly happy to see her finally have sucess with it and she was always the most watchable part of it.

I do think that Big Trouble flopping does seem to be the point that Hollywood comedy blockbusters start to become a bit blander and less willing to take risks personally, all those genre bending films like Ghotsbusters, Blues Bros, American Werewolf, Gremlins, Back to the Future, etc did seem like after this Hollywood lost their appetite for that rather, mostly just being sequels of the previous sucesses that got budget budgets after that, maybe Scroonged? even that though I thought could have had a bit more edge to it were it made 5 years earlier.

Last edited:
Back