Crime Memphis Police Officer Killed By Teen Who Got Released Without Bail A Month Earlier

You said arresting and detaining people doesn't reduce crime... lol... So I provided an example that proved you dead wrong. Yes, his policies were extreme. But El Salvador was suffering from a more than extreme situation. No, those policies wouldn't fly here.

However, there's simple fixes and ending no bail release is one of them.

Back when Giuliani wasn't an idiot with Bratton... New York was turned from one of the most dangerous in the Nation to the Safest Large City (Over 1 million pop) in less than 4 years. However, many of the policies that were adopted in the 90's are now deemed racist and unacceptable by today's progressives... but that's another discussion. Giuliani and Bratton were seen as heros for turning this shit situation in New York around.

The FBI's report shows that New York City continues to lead the nation in the fight against crime. Over the last four years, of the 25 largest cities in the country, New York City has experienced the largest sustained crime decrease - 46.2 percent from 1993 to 1998. New York City has dropped to 166 on a list of 217 cities with populations over 100,000. In fact, New York City continues to be safer than cities such as Atlanta (1), Orlando (2), Miami (8), Fort Lauderdale (13), Winston-Salem, North Carolina (25), Minneapolis (32), Dallas (35), Phoenix (42) San Antonio (77), Philadelphia (85), Houston (93), Boston (110), San Francisco (114) and San Diego (160). New York City is also the safest city in the nation among cities with a population of over one million, including Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Diego.

Just 20 years ago, New York City was racked with crime: murders, burglaries, drug deals, car thefts, thefts from cars. (Remember the signs in car windows advising no radio?) Unlike many cities’ crime problems, New York’s were not limited to a few inner-city neighborhoods that could be avoided. Bryant Park, in the heart of midtown and adjacent to the New York Public Library, was an open-air drug market; Grand Central Terminal, a gigantic flophouse; the Port Authority Bus Terminal, “a grim gauntlet for bus passengers dodging beggars, drunks, thieves, and destitute drug addicts,” as the New York Times put it in 1992. In July 1985, the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City published a study showing widespread fear of theft and assault in downtown Brooklyn, Fordham Road in the Bronx, and Jamaica Center in Queens. Riders abandoned the subway in droves, fearing assault from lunatics and gangs.

New York’s drop in crime during the 1990s was correspondingly astonishing—indeed, “one of the most remarkable stories in the history of urban crime,” according to University of California law professor Franklin Zimring. While other cities experienced major declines, none was as steep as New York’s. Most of the criminologists’ explanations for it—the economy, changing drug-use patterns, demographic changes—have not withstood scrutiny. Readers of City Journal will be familiar with the stronger argument that the New York Police Department’s adoption of quality-of-life policing and of such accountability measures as Compstat was behind the city’s crime drop.

Yet that explanation isn’t the whole story. Learning the rest is more than an academic exercise, for if we can understand fully what happened in New York, we not only can adapt it to other cities but can ensure that Gotham’s crime gains aren’t lost in today’s cash-strapped environment.

Neighborhood organizations, too, began demanding that order be restored—even the local community board in the Tompkins Square Park area, which had once been quite tolerant of disorderly behavior. And the judiciary branch got involved as well, with the 1993 opening of the Midtown Community Court, which swiftly handles those who commit minor offenses.

By the early 1990s, these highly visible successes, especially in the subway, had begun to express themselves politically. Better than any other politician, Rudy Giuliani understood the pent-up demand for public order and built his successful 1993 run for mayor on quality-of-life themes. Once in office, he appointed Bratton, who had orchestrated the subway success and understood the importance of order maintenance, as New York’s police commissioner.

Under Bratton, the NYPD brought enormous capacities to bear on the city’s crime problem—particularly Compstat, its tactical planning and accountability system, which identified where crimes were occurring and held local commanders responsible for their areas. Giuliani and Bratton also gave the force’s members a clear vision of the “business” of the NYPD and how their activities contributed to it. In short, a theory previously advocated largely by elites filtered down to—and inspired—line police officers, who had constituted a largely ignored and underused capacity.

Once the NYPD joined the effort, the order-maintenance movement expanded even more. Port Authority, initially skeptical about Kiley’s approach in the subway and Grand Central and Penn Stations, took similar action to restore order; the Midtown Community Court spawned the Center for Court Innovation, a nonprofit organization that helped develop the Red Hook Community Court in 1998; and BIDs increased from 33 in 1989 to 61 in 2008.

Clearly, Giuliani and Bratton were heroes in reclaiming public spaces. But Glazer, Sturz, Gunn, Kiley, Biederman, and others were stalwarts as well. They set the stage for what was to follow. Current mayor Michael Bloomberg and police commissioner Ray Kelly also deserve kudos; rather than overturning the Bratton/Giuliani innovations and going their own way—as new administrators are wont to do—they adopted, refined, and strengthened them.

The police measure that most consistently reduces crime is the arrest rate... Felony arrest rates (except for motor vehicle thefts) rose 50 to 70 percent in the 1990s. When arrests of burglars increased 10 percent, the number of burglaries fell 2.7 to 3.2 percent. When the arrest rate of robbers rose 10 percent, the number of robberies fell 5.7 to 5.9 percent.

Again, your moronic take on this completely ignores the THOUSANDS of innocent people sacrificed for this reduction in crime, same as El Salvador. You keep citing arrest rates which is just supporting my argument. So thanks for that. When are you going to explain to me why you hate the Constitution so much?

https://www.businessinsider.com/criticism-for-giulianis-broken-windows-theory-2013-8

People actually believe that El Salvador, a poor Central American country that went through a civil war 30 years ago is now competing with Canada's homicide rate?

Really?

A country that has the 18th highest human development index in the world neck and neck with #127 who went through a civil war 3 decades ago.
Listen, if you arrest almost everyone, and everybody else is terrified of being arrested, you've got the perfect society! No crime!

Most people don't know that the gang leaders were given preferential treatment and money to tell their gang members to cut down the violence and crime. But when they weren't given everything they wanted as well as clashes with other rivals, and most importantly, when they threw a tantrum and orders were sent out to kill as many civilians as possible, then Bukele had to go all in and put them ALL in prison indefinitely.

That doesn’t explain the dramatic drop in murder rate before the vast increase in incarcerations.

Listen, if you arrest almost everyone, and everybody else is terrified of being arrested, you've got the perfect society! No crime!

You bring up a good point. I think the main problem is how easy it is to get a firearm in the USA. These criminals should not have access to these guns but do because of the black market. Weapons charges are serious and people who violate them need to be held accountable, but I agree you can't just lock people up forever because of them.

Go around and ask Salvadorans who actually live in El Salvador what they think of the Bukele's administration?

Total success.

Go around and ask Salvadorans who actually live in El Salvador what they think of the Bukele's administration?

Total success.

Oh yea? How about asking them what they think of the Constitution while you're at it. I hear crime in North Korea is at an all time low as well. Does that mean they're a smashing success too?

Last edited:
Leftards in this thread incapable of nuance. Idiots think bail shouldn't exist or else we live in a fascist police state that can imprison you indefinitely for nothing. Get off Reddit and learn to be a person.

This has absolutely nothing to do with bail, which is only supposed to serve to ensure presence at trial.

If someone is considered dangerous, they are meant to be held. This decision is solely in the hands of the judge.

Excessive bail is a serious problem in America and one of the main reasons you have the highest percentage of incarcerated citizens in the world. Poor people often cannot afford bail and plead guilty when innocent. That's a whole other discussion but has nothing to do with the OP.

In a gun fight started by the perp. It doesn't alleviate any responsibility from the suspects. You really thought you had something though lol

Also why does it matter how the cop died when a poster is openly celebrating a cop's death?

I'd say this sets a bad precedent but we know they selectively moderate so precedent is irrelevant.

The man shot at a police officer which means he intended to kill him. Even if the friendly fire turns out to be true it would not have happened if some low life criminal didn’t shoot at them first.

This is some low tier trolling even by your standards.

Posting a relevant article to what happened to the officer based on a statement by the DA is "low-tier trolling"...Lolz.

Did I ever say the guy didn't intend to kill the Cop or dispute the ACTUAL charges in the article?

NOPE.

Catch and release ain't working so well but bail bonds are racist though or something

Race aside the question of cash bail is "are you innocent until proven guilty or not?"

If you are innocent until proven guilty how long can you lock up someone who's presumably innocent? What right does the state have to lock up an innocent man, and why should the test of whether a person is fit to be free until their trial be whether they have money or not? I don't believe there's a link between access to money and innocence.

From a purely constitutional perspective this story is "Presumably innocent man accused of stealing cars and a gun charge, is now accused of shooting officer, but still presumed innocent". Now, you can dislike the way the constitution works, you can advocate for changing it to a presumption of guilt, but you shouldn't be attacking libertarian principals that the constitution should be followed in good faith.

Race aside the question of cash bail is "are you innocent until proven guilty or not?"

If you are innocent until proven guilty how long can you lock up someone who's presumably innocent? What right does the state have to lock up an innocent man, and why should the test of whether a person is fit to be free until their trial be whether they have money or not? I don't believe there's a link between access to money and innocence.

From a purely constitutional perspective this story is "Presumably innocent man accused of stealing cars and a gun charge, is now accused of shooting officer, but still presumed innocent". Now, you can dislike the way the constitution works, you can advocate for changing it to a presumption of guilt, but you shouldn't be attacking libertarian principals that the constitution should be followed in good faith.

Its tough for people to discern that a practice is classist, and by the nature of it being classist it is structurally racist because of who is worst effected by it. The presumption that cash bail let's out "better" people because people who can pay the bail are inherently better is absurd. And there's an entire industry of bountry hunters to prove it. These people will also complain about allocating resources to better the court system in determining who gets bail based on the facts of the case or the person's record, while never once complaining about the ever-inflating police budgets.

Also why does it matter how the cop died when a poster is openly celebrating a cop's death?

I'd say this sets a bad precedent but we know they selectively moderate so precedent is irrelevant.

My posting of that article is a direct response to deadbrain calling me an ACAB in a thread where the initial report of the Cop's death appear to be mistaken and the actual DA involved believes the Cop was killed by another Cop.

And you, he, and Roop all do the sh*t you all normally do which is kick on conspiracy-brain almost immediately about selective moderation, trolling, etc. Because you're incapable of re-evaluating the nature of your position, and your go-to move is to push the agenda you need to assign to me. I dont think all cops are bad, I think bad cops are bad. But the resident boot-lickers are also completely incapable of being critical of police actions when it turns out to be harmful towards themselves. It's a principal so basic it was a theme on the old Andy Griffith show:

Keep in mind that in that clip Andy not only didnt want a gunfight, he didnt even want the suspect alerted to the fact that the Cops were on him. You're already saying silly sh*t like: "it doesnt matter how he died." Of course it matters how and why. It matters when we have shootouts on the streets because of how both police and criminals behave. I'd rather this Cop be alive, and I think changes in how policing is done can accomplish that, I'd rather it be smarter. All threads like this are used for is fodder for confirmation of pre-existing political biases, and when its revealed the Cop didnt die how people initially thought, then that's just dismissed as irrelevant. Lol

Back