Media Michael Jai White says Bisping destroyed him in sparring

I'm pretty sure there were some claims made on Rogan back in the day as well.

I honestly thought there would be more easily available to find quotes given how often I've seen people dunking on him for claiming he could beat actual fighters.

But from everything I've heard MJW is supposedly pretty legit. He's sparred with the likes of Jon Jones and Urijah Hall in the past who sang his praises afterwards, but as we all know, sparring is not the same as an actual fight.

Another controversy with him is he was known for criticising other martial arts actors like Bruce Lee back in the day saying they are just actors that can't actually fight. Which people took as hypocrisy considering he does the exact same thing, and his response to those criticisms were essentially "I could have, but acting pays better."

the shit that kills me is he acts like sparring Jon Jones means something. it would if he was a 25 yr old actual fighter and he was brought in to give Jon Jones work, but he's not. he's a 55 yr old Hollywood actor, doesn't he realize it's not even a real spar let alone a real fight? it's like Vladimir Putin scoring 8 goals in Hockey vs actual professional Hockey players. they're placating your old delusional ass to be nice, they're not giving you actual work dummy.

I'm pretty sure there were some claims made on Rogan back in the day as well.

I honestly thought there would be more easily available to find quotes given how often I've seen people dunking on him for claiming he could beat actual fighters.

But from everything I've heard MJW is supposedly pretty legit. He's sparred with the likes of Jon Jones and Urijah Hall in the past who sang his praises afterwards, but as we all know, sparring is not the same as an actual fight.

Another controversy with him is he was known for criticising other martial arts actors like Bruce Lee back in the day saying they are just actors that can't actually fight. Which people took as hypocrisy considering he does the exact same thing, and his response to those criticisms were essentially "I could have, but acting pays better."
Well, he is right about that last bit at least.

Bit unfair of him though. Bruce did the same thing, specifically saying that his movies were entertainment and he wouldn't fight that way, and was pretty as legitimate as he could be for a guy his time and skill focus (he knew some grappling, but iirc, wasn't focusing on keeping his grappling as sharp or sharper than his striking). But those were a bit more wild west days of dojos, where you had to kind of stick with styles

There are a lot of legitimately learned actors, and I think neither he nor we should be painting them with a broad brush. The issue is a combination of: like you said, sparring isn't an actual fight and that's the only place we can see who has it in them, not just in their brains; and like he said, acting pays more, so they don't really have a need to.

I think only Donnie Yen ever actually talked to Dana about his interest in competing, but also know he was old and worn by that time, and had a busy filming schedule even if he still wanted to try

just listen to his delusion there. "i fight with HWs who hit me full blast and you think you can hurt me?" for a guy who acts like he knows things nobody else does he's sure putting a lot of weight on size when we seen iron chin Mark Hunt eat Jerome Le Banner and Mirko's best strikes and then get slept by little Melvin Manhoef with 1 punch. just the fact that he thinks HWs are hitting him full blast, a fuckin 55 yr old Hollywood actor blows my mind. doesn't he realize all his "sparring" with these guys is just them letting him get in work? it's not even a real spar let alone a real fight.
Also the fact he thinks perry walks around at 185. He's probably at least 200-210 between camps

the shit that kills me is he acts like sparring Jon Jones means something. it would if he was a 25 yr old actual fighter and he was brought in to give Jon Jones work, but he's not. he's a 55 yr old Hollywood actor, doesn't he realize it's not even a real spar let alone a real fight? it's like Vladimir Putin scoring 8 goals in Hockey vs actual professional Hockey players. they're placating your old delusional ass to be nice, they're not giving you actual work dummy.
Well another aspect to sparring is that fighters who are world champion level aren't always the best guys in training.

Jones was well known back in the day at Jackson/Wink for "losing" most of his sparring sessions with Arlovski, Mir and Reem. Yet in the cage he's a totally different animal.

Gaethje is another one. Drew Dober, Whitman and others have gone on record saying they don't think Justin has ever won a single round in sparring, but in the cage he can put it all together and beat world class competition.

Mike Pyle was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. He was known as the undisputed king of the gym. Nobody could lay a glove on him and he used to tool everybody in training, even guys multiple weightclasses up. Yet in the cage he has a very up and down career and his chin didn't hold up a lot of the time.

Phil Hawes is another example. He was known to be the best guy at Jackson/Wink by some margin, but over and over again he got found out in actual fights.

Every gym has these guys too. Guys who seem like they are future world champions, but nobody ever learns their name because under the bright lights they crumble, go 0-2 as an amateur and go back to a regular 9 to 5.

Just because you're able to hold your own with top fighters in sparring doesn't mean you can fight.

Scott Adkins seems like a much more humble guy.

Also the fact he thinks perry walks around at 185. He's probably at least 200-210 between camps
Perry would walk him down & make it an ugly ass kicking. He's too tough & durable for him to deal with.

As legit of a martial artist as he is, MJW is fake humble AF. Outside of competing in trad martial arts tourneys, he's never fought but stays talking about being able to beat professional fighters. We've seen countless videos of trained martial artists get annihilated by professional fighters. I believe it'd be no different for MJW.

Now if he had trained MMA when he was younger, with his trad background, I think he could've been a beast.

Well, he is right about that last bit at least.

Bit unfair of him though. Bruce did the same thing, specifically saying that his movies were entertainment and he wouldn't fight that way, and was pretty as legitimate as he could be for a guy his time and skill focus (he knew some grappling, but iirc, wasn't focusing on keeping his grappling as sharp or sharper than his striking). But those were a bit more wild west days of dojos, where you had to kind of stick with styles

There are a lot of legitimately learned actors, and I think neither he nor we should be painting them with a broad brush. The issue is a combination of: like you said, sparring isn't an actual fight and that's the only place we can see who has it in them, not just in their brains; and like he said, acting pays more, so they don't really have a need to.

I think only Donnie Yen ever actually talked to Dana about his interest in competing, but also know he was old and worn by that time, and had a busy filming schedule even if he still wanted to try

Donnie Yen is 60 lol. He would have needed to compete in the early days of UFC. That being said, love Donnie Yen.

Donnie Yen is 60 lol. He would have needed to compete in the early days of UFC. That being said, love Donnie Yen.
To be a little fair, he did say this nearly a decade ago. Right around the time Punk was waiting 2 years to make his debut. I know Donnie's not a WW, but where exactly he falls is tough to say. He says he stayed solidly around 145, but lots of actor profiles had him at 165.

I figure, the UFC was already doing a circus show by having Punk, might as well have gone all in and asked Donnie Yen if he was interested in being the opponent. Would have been the best way to get around the whole needing an opponent with no record but some level of legitimacy thing, instead of grabbing some random Gall-Jackson Punk-eliminator fight off the street.

Yeah cause normally, 51-year-old actors/part-time martial artists will always have way better conditioning than 40-year-old retired MMA world champions that still train. Terrible excuses indeed.

impressive how your salty ass managed to pull that from MJW giving Bisping praise.

Right? Bisping had legendary cardio, and MJW showed great humility and a sense of humor laughing about it. No one at fault here, and no need for excuses.

To be a little fair, he did say this nearly a decade ago. Right around the time Punk was waiting 2 years to make his debut. I know Donnie's not a WW, but where exactly he falls is tough to say. He says he stayed solidly around 145, but lots of actor profiles had him at 165.

I figure, the UFC was already doing a circus show by having Punk, might as well have gone all in and asked Donnie Yen if he was interested in being the opponent. Would have been the best way to get around the whole needing an opponent with no record but some level of legitimacy thing, instead of grabbing some random Gall-Jackson Punk-eliminator fight off the street.

The fight that made the most sense for Punk was Jason David Frank (RIP). He wanted that fight big time. The only reason I can think of to not make that fight is if Punk refused.

Yen is a legend though. Ip Man 1 & 2 are like my holy grail for martial arts movies.

Bisping forgot to read the script before they started

For sure, we all know how easy it is to wear Bisping down, you just need a bit more cardio & some more conditioning bro -- sure.

The fight that made the most sense for Punk was Jason David Frank (RIP). He wanted that fight big time. The only reason I can think of to not make that fight is if Punk refused.

Yen is a legend though. Ip Man 1 & 2 are like my holy grail for martial arts movies.
Wasn't JDF 265 pounds?

Yen has had a ton of good movies and great fight scenes, and a ton of diversity to them too so there's so many to pick from

Jai White can fight a little but he is more point fighting. He throws single strikes. I don't think he can handle the volume when Bisping doesn't give him chance to get air in his lungs. He is also old and very overweight. Bisping drowns Jai White when he decides to pick up the pace.

Mjw is a brilliant martial artist, no doubt he could strike with bisping if he was in condition however he wasn't and of you include clinching and ground he would get hurt, plus even an in condition mjw wouldn't put condition cardio machine bisping..

Wasn't JDF 265 pounds?

Yen has had a ton of good movies and great fight scenes, and a ton of diversity to them too so there's so many to pick from

IIRC he said he could make the weight, but that could have been why it never happened. I actually met him and spoke to him briefly about the fight and he seemed really disappointed that the fight never happened.

Back