Media "Mighty Mouse" Doing Near Perfect Fighter Impersonations.

There was no interest in the flyweight division while he was champ. Cejudo saved it and brought it to relevancy by being cringe and beating Dillashaw. Part of it you can blame on the newness of the division but part of it was absolutely that people didn't want to watch DJ. He didn't exactly try to promote himself either. He wasn't appreciated until after he was gone.
its also the fact that he was so skilled that the rest of the division was left in the dust, so to speak. none of the dudes he fought are bad, its just that DJ was so fucking good he made them look ordinary. he's not good at promoting himself as he's a soft spoken and humble guy, but in fairness the UFC didnt really push him that much either. i do remember people chanting "Mighty Mouse" when he fought Ray Borg though.

as for the impersonations, theyre fucking hilarious and damn near perfect. his Izzy impression cracked me up.

The only other "highlight reel" Askren ever created in the UFC was possibly the lamest spinning-back fist against Damien Maia.
those who disparage the Askren spinning backfist of Doom (tm) have never witnessed the sheer carnage it brings into the octagon.

its also the fact that he was so skilled that the rest of the division was left in the dust, so to speak. none of the dudes he fought are bad, its just that DJ was so fucking good he made them look ordinary. he's not good at promoting himself as he's a soft spoken and humble guy, but in fairness the UFC didnt really push him that much either. i do remember people chanting "Mighty Mouse" when he fought Ray Borg though.

as for the impersonations, theyre fucking hilarious and damn near perfect. his Izzy impression cracked me up.

There were so many people on sherdog shitting on him. Look at any of the threads during his title reign. Close-minded posters who had no respect for smaller fighters.

There were so many people on sherdog shitting on him. Look at any of the threads during his title reign. Close-minded posters who had no respect for smaller fighters.
i have been lurking here for about 6 or so years. i cant remember any specific thread, but i do remember the general attitude of the time towards DJ was "meh" at best. pretty stupid, honestly.
that armbar against Borg is what Hollywood stunt coordinators wish they could put into a movie.

Yeah I remember people always blamed the failing FLW division was because "Mighty Mouse is boring and has no charisma". I never understood of all the issues that division had, they had to say something so wrong as an excuse . MM is funny and charismatic as hell

The thing is he didn’t bring any of that into his fights. He never made any interesting build ups, and dodged hard fights because he felt underpaid. I don’t necessarily blame him, but it didn’t help with his fan appeal.

DJ is more intelligent, athletic, and capable than anyone in the Flyweight division.

To trade him for Ben Askren was a travesty.
Ironically, though (and unintentionally) Askren provided one of the greatest highlight reels in UFC history – his flying-knee KO LOSS at the hands of the (very ordinary) Jorge Masvidal.

The only other "highlight reel" Askren ever created in the UFC was possibly the lamest spinning-back fist against Damien Maia.
Well let's be honest he made Masvidal a big star and as such brought more revenue to UFC than Mighty Mouse ever could've.

So it was a good trade, marketing-wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back