News Miles Johns suspended for failed drug test, win still stands

So wait - was this an athletic commission drug test that found it, or USADA? Because if it was NSAC, then what the fuck is USADA doing?

They probably have different detection standards. They announced something about that.

And anyway, not every single test picks up everything or we wouldn't have anyone doing PEDs

They probably have different detection standards. They announced something about that.

And anyway, not every single test picks up everything or we wouldn't have anyone doing PEDs
I just mean USADA is meant to be better testing, but they missed it completely.

Also no mention of a USADA/UFC suspension, which is of course separate from NSAC, but still should be relevant here.

Now that USADA is leaving the picture, drug testing legitimacy is going out the window. Back to the bush league days, I guess

So wait - was this an athletic commission drug test that found it, or USADA? Because if it was NSAC, then what the fuck is USADA doing?
USADA guys are already in holiday mode, they dont care anymore.

I think these rulings are fine. If you read the rulings they pretty much changed the sensitivity of the test. If it's way below the threshold of the test then you get flagged for atypical test but not a positive one. Their rationale is that probably indicates past usage but it's not recent. The other alternative is that the athlete consumed something that contained a trace illegal substance but it is such a small amount that it has no effect.

I haven't looked into the details on this but the confusing terms of the punishment seem to reflect the confusion around the accuracy and legitimacy of the testing protocols. Anti-doping protocols are far from exact science and due to the legality and nature of the substances are based on very limited human research.

That is what made the Jon Jones situation very significant because they were able to compare the results of multiple tests within a close time period of their positive M3 test. When they looked at the combined results it showed that the conclusion of their M3 testing being a definitive indicator of tbol usable was not possibly valid.

I haven't looked into the details on this but the confusing terms of the punishment seem to reflect the confusion around the accuracy and legitimacy of the testing protocols. Anti-doping protocols are far from exact science and due to the legality and nature of the substances are based on very limited human research.

That is what made the Jon Jones situation very significant because they were able to compare the results of multiple tests within a close time period of their positive M3 test. When they looked at the combined results it showed that the conclusion of their M3 testing being a definitive indicator of tbol usable was not possibly valid.
Jon’s case affected sports drug testing as a whole in America. He was somewhat validated by MBL players suffering the same issue as him with the test being too “sensitive” and the pulsing issue. The league follows suit and changed the thresholds for a positive test.

Pretty much the punishment is short because the trace metabolite is deemed not significant enough for a PED effect. You are right that that drug testing is closer to an art than an exact science.

Naw .. a fails a fail .. u shouldn't have shit in your body past or present...

U piss hot...u get cooked. ..no mercy for cheats ever
You don’t understand why that case was significant. Supposed say you were punished for the original violation. The pulsing issue is regarding a long term metabolite that stuck around. A test that is too sensitive will keep picking up the same metabolite. Do you keep charging the athlete with the same crime?

Drug testing can’t be zero tolerance in terms of sensitivity. It’s like how people who handle large amounts of cash at work might test positive for trace amounts of cocaine metabolites. If it’s just black and white zero tolerance then those people will all lose their jobs.

Also no mention of a USADA/UFC suspension, which is of course separate from NSAC, but still should be relevant here.

Now that USADA is leaving the picture, drug testing legitimacy is going out the window. Back to the bush league days, I guess
They don;t all test at the same time.It's separate bodies of testing. USADA is random drug testing throughout the year. Local commissions only test if a fighter is fighting in their state/country. That's the difference between UFC having USADA as "independent" testing organisation vs when Jones was sanctioned in one state, but not another back in the day.

SImilar example is Usman Nurmagomedov popping for a drug banned in California because he didn;t apply for a TUE. If he did it would be a non issue, they just facilitate testing to make sure it's not assisting his performance before they allow the fight to proceed.

Short suspension. Small fine. Win still counts. Sounds like cheating is allowed to me.
Trace amounts of cheating is fine.

A pinch of salt in an Olympic pool.
A smidge of steroids in a gas station dick pill.
A few eye pokes.

Trace amounts of cheating is fine.

A pinch of salt in an Olympic pool.
A smidge of steroids in a gas station dick pill.
A few eye pokes.
Since Miles is a manlet, isn't it more like a handful of salt in a kiddie pool?

Since Miles is a manlet, isn't it more like a handful of salt in a kiddie pool?
A sprinkle of salt. A smidge tops.
Any more than that would be overkill.

Unless it is a saltwater kiddie pool. Obviously.

A sprinkle of salt. A smidge tops.
Any more than that would be overkill.

Unless it is a saltwater kiddie pool. Obviously.
Can't afford a saltwater kiddie pool on that salary

Remember when USADA made an announcement about pulsing, etc. with metabolites? I can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like "we aren't doing metabolites any more" so they might not even test for that, for all I know. Or below their range.

Yeah, testing legitimacy is kinda out the door come January but note that NSAC caught this guy AND all the PFL guys (like 10 of them) so it looks like there's a new sheriff in town in Nevada and there are lots of events held in Vegas.

It's always been smoke and mirrors. Nothing can get in the way of business, not even drug testing. Jon Jones already set precedent for Picograms, so it's going to look silly if this guy was suspended.

Remember when USADA made an announcement about pulsing, etc. with metabolites? I can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like "we aren't doing metabolites any more" so they might not even test for that, for all I know. Or below their range.

Yeah, testing legitimacy is kinda out the door come January but note that NSAC caught this guy AND all the PFL guys (like 10 of them) so it looks like there's a new sheriff in town in Nevada and there are lots of events held in Vegas.

NSAC has a history of corruption and incompetence on their end. I believe they also use the same WADA accredited labs like USADA.

If NSAC isn't going to do random drug testing across the world and maintain/store previous blood samples, it's kind of pointless.

Back