Miletich Jiu-jitsu?!?

StellarPR

White Belt
Reaction score
I respect Pat Miletich as a fighter and a trianer, however I find it a little odd that he has "developed" Miletich Jiujitsu (MJJ) as a grappling style. If I recall correctly he is a BJJ blackbelt under Oswaldo Alves. He claims it as the next generation of submission grappling, but it seems to me that it is just BJJ without a gi. What is wrong with saying he teaches Brazilian Jiujitsu, that is what he was tought and teaching. I dont know if it is pride or what but it just seems shady.

Why do the Gracies say they teach Gracie Jiu-jitsu rather than BJJ? Marketin', slight differences, pride, etc.

StellarPR said:
I respect Pat Miletich as a fighter and a trianer, however I find it a little odd that he has "developed" Miletich Jiujitsu (MJJ) as a grappling style. If I recall correctly he is a BJJ blackbelt under Oswaldo Alves. He claims it as the next generation of submission grappling, but it seems to me that it is just BJJ without a gi. What is wrong with saying he teaches Brazilian Jiujitsu, that is what he was tought and teaching. I dont know if it is pride or what but it just seems shady.

its more then just BJJ with no gi, its JJ used for MMA, thats what makes it MJJ, i bet you wouldnt complain if it was Horn Jiu Jitsu

Im sure that you will get a more mma focused system than at most bjj clubs.

Giving styles names is a bit silly to me, why not just go with "submissionwrestling"... Its not really to relevant anyway.

krellik said:
Im sure that you will get a more mma focused system than at most bjj clubs.

Giving styles names is a bit silly to me, why not just go with "submissionwrestling"... Its not really to relevant anyway.

As I said, marketin'. Callin' it by a different name gives people a reason to choose your product over another one that's very similar: i.e. Gracie and Machado, Wrangler and Levi, GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

RedNeckCowBoy00 said:
As I said, marketin'. Callin' it by a different name gives people a reason to choose your product over another one that's very similar: i.e. Gracie and Machado, Wrangler and Levi, GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

You are propably right but I still find it silly.

StellarPR said:

probably because its his own take on grappling, it probably combines bjj, with wrestling, sambo, etc in a no gi format to be applied in mma

honestly who cares?

He had a seminar in Rochester, I think it might have been this past weekends, and on Sunday he was having MJJ. I wanted to go, just to see what it was about, but by the time I got the money together it was already full.

I think it's all just becoming jiu jitsu these days. The only reason you use a suffix is so that people know it's not japanese jiu jitsu, but even JJJ is becoming modernized jiu jitsu in many places.

krellik said:
Giving styles names is a bit silly to me, why not just go with "submissionwrestling"

I have a style called fjj "fuckyoup jiu-jitsu" Any way I think that it all comes down to marketing. Grappling is Grappling any way you slice it.

Some grapplers focus on TD's i.e. Judo, greco. Some focus on ground fighting from the back i.e jiu-jitsu, or from the top i.e. Freestyle, some leg locks i.e. sambo, etc.

It s all the same stuff :rolleyes:

whipyourasstyle said:
I have a style called fjj "fuckyoup jiu-jitsu" Any way I think that it all comes down to marketing. Grappling is Grappling any way you slice it.

Some grapplers focus on TD's i.e. Judo, greco. Some focus on ground fighting from the back i.e jiu-jitsu, or from the top i.e. Freestyle, some leg locks i.e. sambo, etc.

It s all the same stuff :rolleyes:

I agree, they all have different ephasizes and rules and clothing attire, but they are all very similar and with the rise of mma everyone is cross trained any how.

a double leg take down is a double leg takedown, and armbar is an armbar, does it really matter if it comes from judo, sambo, bjj, or whatever?

to be honest i do cringe a bit when i here people call any sort of grappling bjj, due to the influence of the gracies

to me its the equilvelent of people calling mma "ultimate fighting" due to the domiance of the UFC in north america

grappling is not all grappling. BJJ has a distinct philosophy behind it and does catch. It's like saying all stand up striking is the same.

I do bjj and i tell people i do Sub Wrestling. Because if i tell them i do Brazilian Jiujitsu, they tell me "Oh cool, so hows Karate going"

Gsoares2 said:
I do bjj and i tell people i do Sub Wrestling. Because if i tell them i do Brazilian Jiujitsu, they tell me "Oh cool, so hows Karate going"

Same here. If I tell people I'm taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, they look at me like they expect me to show them a crane kick or some bs...

If I tell them I do Submission Grappling or Wrestling, they are still bewildered but at least they don't get it confused with one of the lamer TMA's.

blanko said:
grappling is not all grappling. BJJ has a distinct philosophy behind it and does catch. It's like saying all stand up striking is the same.

All stand up IS the same. :redface:

You goal is to strike your opponent with a part of your body. Whether the emphasis is on using your fists i.e. boxing, kicks i.e. kickboxing, elbows and knees i.e. thai, open plams and tiger claws i.e. kung fooey, etc.

Philosophy's of each art may be different, depending on the different ephasis, but the goals are all the same. A kick is a kick, a punch is a punch no matter what your stance is or how you follow through. :wink:

ex. a low thai kick is very different than a spinning american kickboxing kick, they use a different striking surface, pivot, set up, follow through etc. but they are still kicks, all thrown with the intent of striking the opponent.

Gsoares2 said:

I purposely say jiu-jitsu. When girls ask about the "karate" I tell them that the new spinning monkey flipper punch is coming along well. If it is a guy I just tell him to fuck himself.

It is a very good way to move the conversation back to her as well as making her laugh. Girls love talking about themselves and if you can make a woman laugh then getting her to hike up her skirt so you can long dick it from the back in the corner of the library is only a few jokes away. :icon_chee

its the same thing as dbz from newton or cobra kai and stuff like that. if they didnt have names someone would be more likely to study someone else's. its like pepsi and coke same idea different flavors

Back