Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Oh MANNNN! The BALLS on Loomis!

<Oku02>
Yeah!
The guy had balls. A crazy stupid move, but he got away with it. SF TAC NCOs are a different breed than Ranger RIs. I think more professional and mature. As is the Q Course. RIs would have 'smoked' Loomis for doing that shit and talking back that way. I don't think the guy would have graduated from Ranger school back in the early 90s with a move like that.

Popp talks about the hardened 'plastic' M-16 the soldiers carry in the Q Course and Ranger students carry during the land navigation course at Ft. Benning. I was on that course in the fall of '91 going through IOBC. We shared it with the Ranger students at the same time for day land navigation. One of the Ranger students actually 'butt stroked' one of the Lieutenants (in the head) to steal his score card. It almost killed the guy. He was in the hospital for months. Needless to say, The Ranger Training Brigade launched a massive investigation in trying to find the guilty Ranger. I don't know what happened as the rest of us continued with our course.

Those rubber M16s are no joke and I think they actually weigh more than the real deal (the ones we had in boot camp were M16A1s overmolded and injected with plastic). I got popped real good on the chin with one in the pool once.

Those rubber M16s are no joke and I think they actually weigh more than the real deal (the ones we had in boot camp were M16A1s overmolded and injected with plastic). I got popped real good on the chin with one in the pool once.
The weight of the dummy M-16 (A1) was roughly 7 pounds. All black - hardened plastic. It was the replica with the 20-round magazine. This is what was used on the Combat Water Survival Test.
0002.jpg

Last edited:
@heavyarms21 Supposedly that dude with HMLAT 303 who just died was killed in a "mishap" with a tail rotor.

<6>

<Moyes5>
In my experience; very rare to see Army to Marines. Pretty sure the marines give no consideration to your past life and rate you as a E1, right?

I have seen dozens of CPTs go enlisted in SOF, a prior Co CDR in Ranger Regiment I knew rolled back to an E5 and was a Team Leader.

Damn! There is 'stupid' and then there is 'really stupid.'
From Army Logistics to Marine Infantry? WTF is this guy thinking?
Should have put in an Army packet to go to the 82nd, Ranger Regiment, or Special Forces.
I'm sure the Marines are going to love him. When he realizes the mistake he has made, it will be too late, and we will not hear about it. This guy spent too much time in the S4 section counting beans.

Last edited:
In my experience; very rare to see Army to Marines. Pretty sure the marines give no consideration to your past life and rate you as a E1, right?

I have seen dozens of CPTs go enlisted in SOF, a prior Co CDR in Ranger Regiment I knew rolled back to an E5 and was a Team Leader.
Yep. You can have a damn masters degree and your only guarantee out of boot camp is E2. I hope he enjoys getting yelled at over stupid shit by 20 year old Cpls in the fleet.

<{hughesimpress}>

Damn! There is 'stupid' and then there is 'really stupid.'
From Army Logistics to Marine Infantry? WTF is this guy thinking?
Should have put in an Army packet to go to the 82nd, Ranger Regiment, or Special Forces.
I'm sure the Marines are going to love him. When he realizes the mistake he has made, it will be too late, and we will not hear about it. This guy spent too much time in the S4 section counting beans.
Well he wants to be an infantry officer but didn't want to lat move I guess. So this way he can learn the basics first and then commission later on as an Lt to be a platoon commander. A marine who already has a degree only needs 12 months TIS to be eligible for ECP (although this can be waived).

boot camp: 3 months (he graduated Friday as an E2)
SOI: 14 weeks
---hit 12 months TIS---
OCS: 3 months
TBS: 6 months
IOC: 10 weeks

Well he wants to be an infantry officer but didn't want to lat move I guess. So this way he can learn the basics first and then commission later on as an Lt to be a platoon commander. A marine who already has a degree only needs 12 months TIS to be eligible for ECP (although this can be waived).

boot camp: 3 months (he graduated Friday as an E2)
SOI: 14 weeks
---hit 12 months TIS---
OCS: 3 months
TBS: 6 months
IOC: 10 weeks
So, how old will this guy be when he makes it to 2nd Lieutenant?
I'm betting he will be a 'washout' during Marine OCS.
He could be an Infantry officer in the Army. Switch MOS. Go through the Infantry Advanced Course and Ranger school.
He would skip Platoon Leader time and most likely Company Command time. Plenty to do at an Infantry Battalion.
I don't know how much time he had as a Captain in the Army. It used to be the longest time in rank before promotion to Major. 5 to 6 years on Active Duty. About a year longer in the Reserves.
Is there more to this story? Did he fail promotion? Did he get a bad evaluation (OER)? Was he in the bottom 50% of his peers? Did he get some type of negative discharge? Either way, I wish him luck. He is going to need it.

Also, what is up with this:

So, how old will this guy be when he makes it to 2nd Lieutenant?
I'm betting he will be a 'washout' during Marine OCS.
He could be an Infantry officer in the Army. Switch MOS. Go through the Infantry Advanced Course and Ranger school.
He would skip Platoon Leader time and most likely Company Command time. Plenty to do at an Infantry Battalion.
I don't know how much time he had as a Captain in the Army. It used to be the longest time in rank before promotion to Major. 5 to 6 years on Active Duty. About a year longer in the Reserves.
Is there more to this story? Did he fail promotion? Did he get a bad evaluation (OER)? Was he in the bottom 50% of his peers? Did he get some type of negative discharge? Either way, I wish him luck. He is going to need it.

Also, what is up with this:

He was "unfulfilled" with the Army. Dude should've gone 75th in that case and he could've stayed in his MOS.

He was "unfulfilled" with the Army. Dude should've gone 75th in that case and he could've stayed in his MOS.
<{dayum}>
He is going to find that 'fulfilment' in the Marine Corps? How did he come to that conclusion?
The 75th Regiment would never take a Quartermaster Captain into its ranks. He would have to be 11 series with at least 2 years Active Duty in the Infantry. If he went with the 82nd, 101st, 1st ID, 2nd ID, or 3rd ID, he might be able to come in as an E-4 Corporal. Attend Infantry AIT. I take it the Quartermaster (92) choice was not made by him coming in. You put down 3 choices coming in. A big Army decision with shortages of officers in that MOS. Yeah, that would really suck. I knew a good officer who was assigned Chemical Corps (74) out of ROTC. It was definitively not what he wanted. He was miserable. He got an Airborne and Ranger school slot out of it and later transferred into Civil Affairs (38) in the AGR.

<{dayum}>
He is going to find that 'fulfilment' in the Marine Corps? How did he come to that conclusion?
The 75th Regiment would never take a Quartermaster Captain into its ranks. He would have to be 11 series with at least 2 years Active Duty in the Infantry. If he went with the 82nd, 101st, 1st ID, 2nd ID, or 3rd ID, he might be able to come in as an E-4 Corporal. Attend Infantry AIT. I take it the Quartermaster (92) choice was not made by him coming in. You put down 3 choices coming in. A big Army decision with shortages of officers in that MOS. Yeah, that would really suck. I knew a good officer who was assigned Chemical Corps (74) out of ROTC. It was definitively not what he wanted. He was miserable. He got an Airborne and Ranger school slot out of it and later transferred into Civil Affairs (38) in the AGR.
Huh? There are a shitload of non combat officer jobs in the 75th.

• 11A – INFANTRY OFFICER
  • 12A – ENGINEER OFFICER
  • 13A – FIELD ARTILLERY OFFICER
  • 17A/B – CYBER OPERATIONS OFFICER
  • 25A – SIGNAL OFFICER
  • 26A – INFORMATION NETWORK ENGINEER
  • 27A – JAG (ATTORNEY)
  • 30A – INFORMATION OPERATIONS OFFICER
  • 35A – MILITARY INTELLIGENCE OFFICER
  • 36A – FINANCIAL MANAGER
  • 40A – SPACE OFFICER
  • 42B – HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
  • 42H – SENIOR HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
  • 46A – PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER
  • 51A – ACQUISITIONS
  • 56A – CHAPLAIN
  • 62B/F8 – FLIGHT SURGEON
  • 64A – VETERINARIAN
  • 65B – PHYSICAL THERAPIST
  • 65D – PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
  • 67D – BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
  • 70B – HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR
  • 70H – HEALTH SERVICES PLANS, OPS, INTEL, SEC/TRNG
  • 73B – CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST
  • 74A – CHEM, BIO, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR OFFICER
  • 88A – TRANSPORTATION OFFICER
  • 90A – LOGISTICIAN
  • 91A – ORDANCE OFFICER
  • 92A – QUARTERMASTER OFFICER
  • FA59 – SAMS PLANNER

Huh? There are a shitload of non combat officer jobs in the 75th.

• 11A – INFANTRY OFFICER
  • 12A – ENGINEER OFFICER
  • 13A – FIELD ARTILLERY OFFICER
  • 17A/B – CYBER OPERATIONS OFFICER
  • 25A – SIGNAL OFFICER
  • 26A – INFORMATION NETWORK ENGINEER
  • 27A – JAG (ATTORNEY)
  • 30A – INFORMATION OPERATIONS OFFICER
  • 35A – MILITARY INTELLIGENCE OFFICER
  • 36A – FINANCIAL MANAGER
  • 40A – SPACE OFFICER
  • 42B – HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
  • 42H – SENIOR HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
  • 46A – PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER
  • 51A – ACQUISITIONS
  • 56A – CHAPLAIN
  • 62B/F8 – FLIGHT SURGEON
  • 64A – VETERINARIAN
  • 65B – PHYSICAL THERAPIST
  • 65D – PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
  • 67D – BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
  • 70B – HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR
  • 70H – HEALTH SERVICES PLANS, OPS, INTEL, SEC/TRNG
  • 73B – CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST
  • 74A – CHEM, BIO, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR OFFICER
  • 88A – TRANSPORTATION OFFICER
  • 90A – LOGISTICIAN
  • 91A – ORDANCE OFFICER
  • 92A – QUARTERMASTER OFFICER
  • FA59 – SAMS PLANNER
Yes, I know, but anything other than 11X series will only be found at Battalion level or higher.
I don't think Jag, Finance, Public Affairs, Chaplains, Veterinarians, and Psychologists are Ranger qualified. That was not a requirement. Chaplains had an almost impossible task in getting a Ranger school slot - let alone graduate. I think this has all changed now with the females and the lower standards, but again, if you can't fill the slot with a Ranger qualified male or female, the slot needs to be filled regardless. These folks would be assigned to HHC (Headquarters and Headquarters Company). I think the same for Special Forces, but you will have to ask @Mike Hagger. The guy in question wants to be an Infantry Platoon Leader.

Yes, I know, but anything other than 11X series will only be found at Battalion level or higher.
I don't think Jag, Finance, Public Affairs, Chaplains, Veterinarians, and Psychologists are Ranger qualified. That was not a requirement. Chaplains had an almost impossible task in getting a Ranger school slot - let alone graduate. I think this has all changed now with the females and the lower standards, but again, if you can't fill the slot with a Ranger qualified male or female, the slot needs to be filled regardless. These folks would be assigned to HHC (Headquarters and Headquarters Company). I think the same for Special Forces, but you will have to ask @Mike Hagger. The guy in question wants to be an Infantry Platoon Leader.
He'd get a slot if he passed RASP 2, it's required for all officers in the 75th regardless of MOS.

He'd get a slot if he passed RASP 2, it's required for all officers in the 75th regardless of MOS.
Yeah, good luck finding Chaplains willing to go through RASP and Ranger school. Let alone graduate.

A lot of things have changed in 35 years. Here is what I found:
"The 75th Ranger Regiment is the only unit in the U.S. Army that requires their members to graduate Ranger school -- exceptions given for staff positions (i.e. non-combat leadership positions). Ranger school is not a pre-requisite to join the Ranger Regiment."
I don't think anyone in the Ranger Regiment gives two-shits if the Chaplain is Airborne or Ranger qualified. They are looking for spiritual guidance.

The sad thing is he's not guaranteed to be an infantry officer. Would be a kick in the balls if he ends up being a logistics officer (0402) again.

Back