Millennials Are Willing To Let Others Fight For Them

Toothless King

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://taskandpurpose.com/millennia...ial&utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news

Young people are placing their freedom in the hands of service members willing to fight for them.

Nearly half of millennials polled in a recent Harvard survey said they support the use of ground troops against the Islamic State after the Paris attacks, but 85% of those same people said they would not join the military, reported The Washington Post.

this article really doesn't make sense when the vast majority of people serving in U.S. armed forces are millennials (people born after 1980/1982) since 2001. the politicians and generals who are in control of this country and foreign policy are baby boomers

Anyone who joins the US military at this point is either out of their fucking minds, or desperate for a job. I say let those people go be crazy and desperate, leave me out of it

That's because they are a more comfortable and entertained generation of people. Technology is a big cause too.

I did 9 years active duty USMC, and I just finished up college a few months ago. If you asked me, when I was at college (especially one as prestigious as Harvard), whether or not I would join the military I would also say no.

Not all millennials are currently enrolled in Harvard university. This is just a poor survey overall and a terrible "news" story.

Is it that different compared to previous generations?

I don't imagine the majority of young men were ever that enthusiastic about going to war themselves. Not in more civilized times, at least.

I don't imagine the majority of young men were ever that enthusiastic about going to war themselves. Not in more civilized times, at least.

I heard in WW1 about 24 million young men volunteered. I believe the overall population back then was like 100 million including women and children, and old folk.

I did 9 years active duty USMC, and I just finished up college a few months ago. If you asked me, when I was at college (especially one as prestigious as Harvard), whether or not I would join the military I would also say no.

Not all millennials are currently enrolled in Harvard university. This is just a poor survey overall and a terrible "news" story.

Penn State had a large ROTC contingent. I think a lot of the flagship state schools or ones named after states, and also have big ROTC.

Penn State had a large ROTC contingent. I think a lot of the flagship state schools or ones named after states, and also have big ROTC.

What? What about these schools? According to the article students from Harvard were questioned.

harvard study doesn't mean it was conducted at harvard

harvard study doesn't mean it was conducted at harvard

You're correct, but I can't find anything in the article posted here or the one linked in that post about the actual sample. Who was actually surveyed? From which walks of life are these people?

Up until Vietnam the majority of those that served in the large scale conflicts were draftees. Vietnam had a 66% volunteer rate and all conflicts after were entirely volunteer.

so millennials are like every other generation that preceded them. what a shock...

Anyone who joins the US military at this point is either out of their fucking minds, or desperate for a job. I say let those people go be crazy and desperate, leave me out of it

That's a silly thing to say.

For millions of people, joining the military is a wise occupational decision that opens career earning that they would otherwise never see. The majority never see combat, can subsidize (if not completely pay for) their education, and then have access to a class of occupations with great upward mobility.

Also, this thread is stupid. This says nothing of a generation. Do you think that 15% of American males volunteered to go to Iraq in 2002? lol

I heard in WW1 about 24 million young men volunteered. I believe the overall population back then was like 100 million including women and children, and old folk.

Assuming your statistics are true, this is a MUCH different scenario than WWII. ISIS poses no where NEAR the threat that the Axis powers did to Western society and people now, with greater access to information, can appreciate the role that American intervention played in creating the mess over there and may not care for what they see as a futile venture.

Soldiers are pawns. When they no longer serve the government their lives don't matter in the view of the government who they sacrificed for. They could serve for years, doesn't matter. When they are left beat up, maimed, psychologically damaged they usually don't get much help at all. And are left poor. The soldiers who can take the world often end up owning nothing. Even as active duty they are poor. Maybe that's why educated people aren't excited by the idea of joining. Not to mention you can't even trust the government that they aren't arming Isis themselves.

Typical, the millennial generation is one that lacks any sort of conviction.

They have strong opinions and are often times outspoken, but we all know they don't have the balls to back up their beliefs.

Typical, the millennial generation is one that lacks any sort of conviction.

They have strong opinions and are often times outspoken, but we all know they don't have the balls to back up their beliefs.
A little simple math, or just reading posts including the first one, would help you realize that this whole argument is stupid. The majority of people in the military are millennials.

Also, given that we've had an all volunteer force for quite awhile, the sentiment of not enlisting also is pretty common across multiple generations. Personally, I find the individuals that are very hawkish on foreign policy but who actively avoided service during times of war to be far more despicable.

Back