Minnesota authorities release police dash cam video of Philando Castile shooting.

And he said "ok" and then got shot. He gave very unclear directions. He gave to somewhat contradictory directions in rapid sucession then shot a guy for following them.
He said ok
but you don't see him complying. People are capable of saying one thing and doing another (albeit high on drugs)
Thats the other thing. The idiot was driving a car high (illegal) with his family? How irresponsible is that? carrying a gun? Jesus man if i was gonna get high im not gonna strap on a gun,pack up my wife and daughter, and drive around town at night with a broken taillight.
Not trying to blame the victim but you kind of have to in this situation seeing as its 100% avoidable with proper judgement.

He didn't just say ok, he said some weird stuff that I've listened to over and over, and kinda sounds like 'I have to reach for it'... presumably while still reaching. You just have to freeze in that situation, you have to. When an officer tells you not to reach for your gun, you stop any other process going on in your head and don't move.
This 100% If you say to a cop "I have a gun on me" you put your hands on the wheel and dont move an inch. or simply dont move.The guy died for being stupid.(drugs)

He didn't just say ok, he said some weird stuff that I've listened to over and over, and kinda sounds like 'I have to reach for it'... presumably while still reaching. You just have to freeze in that situation, you have to. When an officer tells you not to reach for your gun, you stop any other process going on in your head and don't move.

watch it with the volume cranked all the way up.

1:34 Castile- sir, I have to tell you I have a firearm

1:38 Yanez- OK don't reach for it then

1:40 Castile -I will not pull it out

1:41 Yanez- don't pull it out

1:42 first shots fired

Life comes at you fast, you don't always have time to 'make sure' of anything once a guy who already told you he has a gun is reaching despite your command.

No he was only reaching because of the officer's command to get his identification. The order wasn't a clear order to begin with and the man was already in the process of reaching for his wallet.

He had plenty of time to see the child in the line of fire. He had plenty of time to back up and find cover. He also had time to wait and make sure it was a deadly threat before he started firing. If he isn't willing to risk his life to wait for a sure threat in those circumstances, then maybe he shouldn't be on the police force. As a cop, you should have the public safety as your primary interest.

The guys a janitor not a criminal, told the cop he was armed and that he was not reaching for it, they found the gun in his pocket with an empty chamber, his GF and her 4 YO were in the car with him, what are the odds he was reaching for his gun? I know being a cop is a tough job but you have to be prepared to be in a a dangerous situation without opening fire on a suspect without being positive you're being attacked.
you are judging this whole situation after the fact

was this cop some kind of psychic or has the ability to foresee the future, or maybe he has superman's xray vision to know that Philando's gun was not chambered?

watch it with the volume cranked all the way up.

1:34 Castile- sir, I have to tell you I have a firearm

1:38 Yanez- OK don't reach for it then

1:40 Castile -I will not pull it out

1:41 Yanez- don't pull it out

1:42 first shots fired

I did watch it with the volume all the way up. I sure as hell didn't hear what you just wrote.

Mr Castile said "I have to reach for it" while being told not to. He continued ignoring the officer and got shot.

Good lesson here is not to drive while impaired packing heat. Pretty easy to see why the jury found him not guilty based on this video.

No he was only reaching because of the officer's command to get his identification. The order wasn't a clear order to begin with and the man was already in the process of reaching for his wallet.

He had plenty of time to see the child in the line of fire. He had plenty of time to back up and find cover. He also had time to wait and make sure it was a deadly threat before he started firing. If he isn't willing to risk his life to wait for a sure threat in those circumstances, then maybe he shouldn't be on the police force. As a cop, you should have the public safety as your primary interest.
You aren't seeing this objectively anymore.This all happened in seconds.You have had days to armchair QB (we all have) It doesnt matter how much or how little training or what he saw on a filmstrip or practiced in the academy etc.In that moment, he was thinking "Oh shit the guy just said he had a gun" 99% of that cops training went out the window and he probably started thinking about his own mortality and dying. Talking about the "little girl" and all this line of fire training bullshit is just that.A street cop qualifies at the academy and probably once every year or so.He isnt some drill every weekend 1000 rounds at the range guy. (most likely) Most street cops fire their gun once a year and the other 99% of the time its on a holster or in a drawer (realistically)

Here is what probably happened (mind you my opinion)

Guy says he has a gun
Cops adrenaline kicks in
Cop says don't reach (panicking now)
guy moves
cop shoots
oh shit i shot someone.
guy dies.

You aren't seeing this objectively anymore.This all happened in seconds.You have had days to armchair QB (we all have) It doesnt matter how much or how little training or what he saw on a filmstrip or practiced in the academy etc.In that moment, he was thinking "Oh shit the guy just said he had a gun" 99% of that cops training went out the window and he probably started thinking about his own mortality and dying. Talking about the "little girl" and all this line of fire training bullshit is just that.A street cop qualifies at the academy and probably once every year or so.He isnt some drill every weekend 1000 rounds at the range guy. (most likely) Most street cops fire their gun once a year and the other 99% of the time its on a holster or in a drawer (realistically)

Here is what probably happened (mind you my opinion)

Guy says he has a gun
Cops adrenaline kicks in
Cop says don't reach (panicking now)
guy moves
cop shoots
oh shit i shot someone.
guy dies.

I totally understand it from the cop's perspective, but you don't get that leniency as a professional. You have to be accountable for every round you discharge and being scared is no excuse. I was accountable for my rounds in the military. He should be accountable for his.

You're missing the first few lines of that description for how it went down.

* Cop asks for guys ID (Which is where usually?)
* Guy starts to reach for ID in back pocket. Informs officer of a legal firearm on his person
* Cop gives confusing command to not reach for "it", which he specifically says it in reference to the gun.
* Guy affirms that he isn't reaching for the firearm while continuing to comply with first order for ID
* Cop gets scared of a calm, compliant man and discharges his weapon in the direction of a child.

There's no justification for how he behaved. If there was, he'd still be working there. Just because you get scared during an interaction doesn't mean you get a green light to kill a compliant man on a traffic stop. There needs to be a legitimate deadly threat. Since when is simply being in possession of a firearm an illegal act? So why do cops get to assume anything you do is malicious just because you're in possession of one?

The fact is the cop lied about the situation afterwards. He tried to claim he smelled marijuana, but only 15 hours later during an investigation where he lied about Castile telling him he wasn't pulling the gun out. This is clearly a bad shooting.

Fact is, the pussy ass pig went and sought out fear based training, used it and wasnt held accoubtable for using it wrong.

Bulletproof Warrior my ass.

He said ok
but you don't see him complying. People are capable of saying one thing and doing another (albeit high on drugs)
Thats the other thing. The idiot was driving a car high (illegal) with his family? How irresponsible is that? carrying a gun? Jesus man if i was gonna get high im not gonna strap on a gun,pack up my wife and daughter, and drive around town at night with a broken taillight.
Not trying to blame the victim but you kind of have to in this situation seeing as its 100% avoidable with proper judgement.

It's also avoidable on the Officer's part. He got out of that car with the intention of apprehending an armed robbery suspect. I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true, but that cop didn't handle this situation properly.

I did watch it with the volume all the way up. I sure as hell didn't hear what you just wrote.

Mr Castile said "I have to reach for it" while being told not to. He continued ignoring the officer and got shot.

Good lesson here is not to drive while impaired packing heat. Pretty easy to see why the jury found him not guilty based on this video.

I certainly didn't hear that. If a police officer wants you to stop moving, they should at least say that.

For me the lesson is, do not move under any circumstances when an officer tells you 'don't reach for it'. And yeah, I agree the dashcam vid makes it clear why the cop got acquitted.

you are judging this whole situation after the fact

was this cop some kind of psychic or has the ability to foresee the future, or maybe he has superman's xray vision to know that Philando's gun was not chambered?
I was pointing those things out to show the victim's mindset and that it's improbable that he was reaching for his gun. He was most likely reaching for his license and registration. So it's likely the cop shot him beacuse he panicked without ever seeing a gun at all. Being a police officer he's held to a higher standard and should have waited until he was positive it was a gun in his hand. He also could have been more clear in commanding him to stop or don't move.

You just said you don't know what was said.

You don't know either.

It sounds like it could be "I'ma have to pull it out", but it's definitely not "I will not pull it out".

Being a police officer he's held to a higher standard and should have waited until he was positive it was a gun in his hand.

This is ideal, but unrealistic. I don't know where this notion came from, that cops, once informed of the presence of a firearm, must wait until they actually see a gun before they can act.

This is ideal, but unrealistic. I don't know where this notion came from, that cops, once informed of the presence of a firearm, that they must wait until they see a gun before they can act.

Nobody is saying they have to under current law. We're saying it's a stupid fucking law that puts the citizens at extreme risk and there's no accountability for police.

GettyImages-4974005581-1280x720.jpg

Look at the guy with his hand in his pocket! He's publicly wielding a firearm too! Why aren't the cops heroically gunning him down? He could have a second gun in there and just start blasting!

Back