Minor arm injury...am I doing all I can to heal?

Insect Overlord

White Belt
Reaction score
Today I got caught in a straight armlock while being mounted. Don't wanna go into details, but but essentially it happened so fast that I didn't tap quick enough (long story short, I know that my partner was not going full ass-kicking ADCC mode...it was an honest mistake).
He fortunately let go before any real damage, but my elbow is just a little sore. The pain went away after a short break and I was able to roll very lightly, but it started to come back at the end of the session so I called it a day.
Planning on icing the elbow and taking ibuprofen and resting it for awhile (next practice is Wed...debating whether to roll very light or just show up and watch).
Is there anything else I can do or should I do something instead of the ice/ibuprofen mix?

Not really. It should be fine within a couple of days.

After a while, tweaks like that happen and you'll just ignore them and keep rolling.

omega 3 supplements.
fish oil/krill oil/etc

helps reduce inflammation and internally lubricate joints

Could be days could be weeks depends on how bad it actually was. I had my elbow popped once and it hurt for about 6weeks never hurt bad enough to miss training its just annoying.

Could be days could be weeks depends on how bad it actually was. I had my elbow popped once and it hurt for about 6weeks never hurt bad enough to miss training its just annoying.

It sounds very minor the way he described it.

thanks...haven't been able to ice it yet...it's just a little sore. But I know damn well that "a little sore" now could turn into "hurts like a bitch" and then I'll have to sit out for awhile if I ignore it or am careless. Plus I'm 38, so things don't heal as quickly as I'd like any more.
Incidentally I take fish oil 2x daily for probably 6 months now, so hopefully that's already helping.

Last edited:
RICE it

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevtation.

Best to ice sooner rather than later. Don't ice before training.
I try to avoid pain relief stuff but anti inflamatories also help heal.

its the fault of your partner, we all know how the bone will explode if we go all out in the bridge. we have no injuries during practice becasue we take care of our partners. maybe its time to find another gym :icon_lol:

just rest it for a long time, bone can heal naturally depending on the situation

thanks...haven't been able to ice it yet...it's just a little sore. But I know damn well that "a little sore" now could turn into "hurts like a bitch" and then I'll have to sit out for awhile if I ignore it or am careless. Plus I'm 38, so things don't heal as quickly as I'd like any more.
Incidentally I take fish oil 2x daily for probably 6 months now, so hopefully that's already helping.

If you do decide to roll I would:

Not roll with the same guy until you are better
Inform whoever you're rolling with that your arm is tweaked
Try and roll light

Thanks...I didn't ice it. Wasn't able to for about 4-5 hours after it happened, so I'm resting it and taking motrin. It's just a little sore and I was a little concerned it might be worse today but it isn't. I'm just going to drill the next few sessions without free rolling till I know I'm good to go.

Back