Social MIT becomes first elite university to eliminate diversity statements

Is eliminating diversity requirements positive for education?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
giphy.gif

The US came to be and maintains global superpower status in large part due to its research universities (Caltech, Harvard, MIT, Stanford), national laboratories (JPL, Los Alamos, Lincoln, LBNL, LLNL), intramural agencies (NIH, NASA, DARPA, DOE) and industrial high tech corps (Applied Materials, Intel, KLA-Tencor, Lockheed, Microchip, Micron, Northrop Grumman, Qualcomm). It can't afford to have social politics infecting any of them.
I don't see Boeing. And I bought Intel.

You can almost "both side bad" anything but not this one. Where crap really hits the fan is that the POLITICIANS on the right are heavily anti-science, either out of sheer ignorance / stupidity or (what is worse), out of sheer chicanery (even though they know they are peddling BS). There are plenty of GOP senators, governors, representatives, mayors, and even presidents that peddle:

-Abstinence only sex-Ed AS A PUBLIC ED PROGRAM
-intelligent design / "evolution skepticism" IN PUBLIC ED SCIENCE CLASS CURRICULA.
-Climate change being a hoax / not being anthropogenic
-All kinds of religious claptrap in government or policy / exemptions from laws / etc.
-Antivaxxing exemptions based on "religious freedom"
-Anti-mask and anti other CDC recommendations dangerous nonsense

There are a few crazy people on the left but I still think right wingers would win that by a mile, because conservatism correlates very strongly with religiosity and conservatism correlates very strongly with holding on to outdated and backward traditional views.

There's no shortage of un-evidenced or anti-science positions on the left.

- Men can magically change into women by simply saying 'I am a woman'.
- Lockdowns were essential in stopping the spread of Covid-19.
- Diversity training works.
- Communism works.
- There is widespread wage discrimination against women.
- Diverse companies are the most successful.
- Islam is a religion of peace.
- There are infinite genders.
- Defunding the police will help disadvantaged communities.
- Children don't need a father in the home.
- White people were solely responsible for Transatlantic Slave Trade.
- Pushing 'other ways of knowing' into curricula.
- Fake, made up dates that the world is going to end due to climate change.
- Cleopatra was black.
- There's no evidence that men have a biological advantage over women in sports.

That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.

You're right that conservatism correlates with religiosity but the modern left has embraced woke ideas as a religion and have proven themselves susceptible demented nonsense as a result

funny how you chuds pretend to care about science when its convenient. but you will dismiss science on climate change, Covid, Hormone therapy for transgender patients and when the science of an issue conflicts with the goals of the corporate donors.
Hey man, making silly, uninformed posts is kinda my thing
Go find your own gimmick

I don't see Boeing. And I bought Intel.

30 years ago, sure. But not after the McDonnell Douglas merger where they let accountants run the place instead of engineers. Boeing is now a beancounter DIE clown show as shown by all their planes falling out of the sky. Most of their shit is now outsourced and they're basically a glorified holding company.

There's no shortage of un-evidenced or anti-science positions on the left.

- Men can magically change into women by simply saying 'I am a woman'.
- Lockdowns were essential in stopping the spread of Covid-19.
- Diversity training works.
- Communism works.
- There is widespread wage discrimination against women.
- Diverse companies are the most successful.
- Islam is a religion of peace.
- There are infinite genders.
- Defunding the police will help disadvantaged communities.
- Children don't need a father in the home.
- White people were solely responsible for Transatlantic Slave Trade.
- Pushing 'other ways of knowing' into curricula.
- Fake, made up dates that the world is going to end due to climate change.
- Cleopatra was black.
- There's no evidence that men have a biological advantage over women in sports.

That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.

You're right that conservatism correlates with religiosity but the modern left has embraced woke ideas as a religion and have proven themselves susceptible demented nonsense as a result

What does political issues, social and religious reformation or any of the bs you just mentioned has to do with Science?
Science by definition is a liberal activity - the search for new knowledge is disruptive of traditional values and social norms. That's kinda the point.
When you cross that into the fact that anti-progress and pro-traditions right wingers like you are more engaged by faith and fear than lefties, you are going to get backlash against pushing against those ideals. thats why your team is anti-science

the fact that 9% of scientists are conservatives is a sign the GOP is far worse and its not that complicated.
from denying that cigs cause cancer or was addictive, to saying we only wanted the lead out to enrich catalytic converter factory owning dem donors, to saying cap and trade of so2 would destroy our economy, instead it destroyed acid rain, to saying the CFCs causing the ozone hole was bullshit. to fighting the use of stem cells, to screaming all economists are wrong that their tax cuts will increase the deficit, even the conservative economists.

There's no comparison.

My guess is that MIT is just polishing a turd and they'll keep doing affirmative action/diversity hiring and just not talk openly about it. The progressive leftist cancer that is rotting these once great institutions is still in control and won't go anywhere without a hell of a fight.

What does political issues, social and religious reformation or any of the bs you just mentioned has to do with Science?
Science by definition is a liberal activity - the search for new knowledge is disruptive of traditional values and social norms. That's kinda the point.
When you cross that into the fact that anti-progress and pro-traditions right wingers like you are more engaged by faith and fear than lefties, you are going to get backlash against pushing against those ideals. thats why your team is anti-science

the fact that 9% of scientists are conservatives is a sign the GOP is far worse and its not that complicated.
from denying that cigs cause cancer or was addictive, to saying we only wanted the lead out to enrich catalytic converter factory owning dem donors, to saying cap and trade of so2 would destroy our economy, instead it destroyed acid rain, to saying the CFCs causing the ozone hole was bullshit. to fighting the use of stem cells, to screaming all economists are wrong that their tax cuts will increase the deficit, even the conservative economists.

There's no comparison.
Are you asking me what Covid, climate change and biology have to do with science? I've listed plenty of scientific points and others that are plain old lies that the left tells and then fakes the evidence for. It's interesting that you haven't been able to rebuke any of them.

For the record, I'm not religious or right wing and neither is 'my team' anti-science. For someone who claims to be pro-science you have made a lot of baseless assumptions about me. Maybe check the facts next time.

Also, it's nonsense to say that the point of science is to be disruptive of traditional values. Some of science is disruptive, some is concerned with maintaining those values. For example, the belief that the world is not flat or that gravity exists.

My guess is that MIT is just polishing a turd and they'll keep doing affirmative action/diversity hiring and just not talk openly about it. The progressive leftist cancer that is rotting these once great institutions is still in control and won't go anywhere without a hell of a fight.
The fact that they can't openly parade it as it was the case is a sign of the changing of the times, hopefully. The DEI grift is just too obvious these days, a lot of people see the scam for what it is.

The fact that they can't openly parade it as it was the case is a sign of the changing of the times, hopefully. The DEI grift is just too obvious these days, a lot of people see the scam for what it is.
Maybe you're right but the leftist maggots are so entrenched in these institutions that I doubt much will change. Still, a step in the right direction I guess.

I hope you are wrong, but fear you are correct.

The college I graduated from went full left, and I am ashamed to have attended. They tore down the statue of the Catholic Bishop the school was named after. I'm not even Catholic, but I am still furious. They have completely lost my support as an alumni.

Put the statue back up, or you are dead to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back