Social MIT becomes first elite university to eliminate diversity statements

Is eliminating diversity requirements positive for education?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
First post - ahem I have a PhD I am an intellectual, I am enlightened.
Second post - YOU HAVE A SMALL PEE PEE!!!

It's always like this with you hysterical midwits.
First - I have actual experience and know what I'm talking about. You barely read about any of this.

Second - it was a question, not a statement.

Ironically you call me midwit and you can't even read properly... You people...

Nice edit. Here, I'll leave it as how you first posted.

But yeah, I'm in my 30s and already love my career. So don't plan on changing that.

You're probably retired from old age. It's easy to read your type. Angry because you lack something fundamental and you lash out at the "maggots." Lol at "I work close to these institutions" as if you're trying to prove you know what it's like to actually be in these institutions. I know there's something wrong with you and the more you respond the more you reaffirm this. I'll even tell you what I'm doing: I'm assuming the worse of you, and you're proving it right. Let's see if you keep biting.
Yes older than you but a long way from usual retirement age. Same question though. Why does my opinion of you matter so much to you?

Go do some reading on what scientists say about “settled science”. Youll probably feel a bit embarrassed.

You're making a rather subtle argument here without actually supporting it in any way--you could do a bit better in that respect but I doubt that's your goal.

Regardless, although you're not wrong, you're making a distinction without a difference. At this point, any new discoveries or what have you relevant to General Relativity will only refine our understanding further. It won't change the fundamentals. Spacetime will still be spacetime; gravity will still be the presence of mass in that spacetime. We won't wake up tomorrow to a whole new theory of what space is and what causes what we perceive as gravity.

I agree other topics may not provide so much certainty but it doesn't mean they aren't amenable to some definite conclusions either.

Yes older than you but a long way from usual retirement age. Same question though. Why does my opinion of you matter so much to you?

It's not your opinion about me that matters.

To be frank with you, I actually want to understand why people get so heated about this. Maybe I started off wrong, but given how a lot of people on this forum think, I am not very friendly.

So maybe I'll step back and ask you in an a more honest and respectful way, given you're older than me and all ;)

Why do you have to refer to these people as maggots? Maggots of society do exist (rspists, murderers, thieves), but this is a topic about college entrances. So why do you get so angry?

First - I have actual experience and know what I'm talking about. You barely read about any of this.

Second - it was a question, not a statement.

Ironically you call me midwit and you can't even read properly... You people...
did you pay a 12 year old to write this post? cause it looks like it.

did you pay a 12 year old to write this post? cause it looks like it.
I'm telling my mom you're being mean to me after you looked dumb for lacking basic reading skills and calling me midwit in the same post :(

Lol the irony... and you call me hysterical. FURTHERMORE, you seemed pretty gotten by the pp question. Care to explain why that jumped at you and not the other?

I'm telling my mom you're being mean to me after you looked dumb for lacking basic reading skills and calling me midwit in the same post :(

Lol the irony... and you call me hysterical. FURTHERMORE, you seemed pretty gotten by the pp question. Care to explain why that jumped at you and not the other?
oh god, can't believe you actually thought in your head this was a witty reply.

Regardless, although you're not wrong, you're making a distinction without a difference. At this point, any new discoveries or what have you relevant to General Relativity will only refine our understanding further. It won't change the fundamentals. Spacetime will still be spacetime; gravity will still be the presence of mass in that spacetime. We won't wake up tomorrow to a whole new theory of what space is and what causes what we perceive as gravity.

I agree other topics may not provide so much certainty but it doesn't mean they aren't amenable to some definite conclusions either.

Yeah, cumulative knowledge ftw -- nothing gets scrapped in physical science, it's modified and that's kind of the basis for the whole enterprise. It does draw a wry smirk when I see General Relativity casually mentioned by people as being a theory of gravity, lol. I mean, it isn't technically wrong, but it would be severe overkill to even put to use in the majority of instances under everyday conditions.

Newtonian Mechanics remains incredibly accurate to observation and experiment that it's still utilized for space travel within our solar system, whether working out the trajectories and orbit of a spacecraft or sending a rocket to the moon. OTOH General Relativity is absolute freak shit: a description of not only how mass/energy warp spacetime, but how mass, energy, momentum, and pressure are distributed throughout the entire Universe.

Heh. General Relativity is so famous that it's damn near glossed over that Einstein also discovered the force carrier of electromagnetism (photons) in explaining the photoelectric effect, without knowledge of which semiconductors and industrial high tech (i.e. the modern world as we know it) couldn't of come into existence. He also proved the existence of atoms beyond doubt via Brownian Motion to verify a hypothesis that was originally put forth in 5th Century BC Ancient Greece. Monumental Motherfucker. He completely snapped.
Yeah, cumulative knowledge ftw -- nothing gets scrapped in physical science, it's modified and that's kind of the basis for the whole enterprise. It does draw a wry smirk when I see General Relativity casually mentioned by people as being a theory of gravity, lol. I mean, it isn't technically wrong, but it would be severe overkill to even put to use in the majority of instances under everyday conditions.

Newtonian Mechanics remains incredibly accurate to observation and experiment that it's still utilized for space travel within our solar system, whether working out the trajectories and orbit of a spacecraft or sending a rocket to the moon. OTOH General Relativity is absolute freak shit: a description of not only how mass/energy warp spacetime, but how mass, energy, momentum, and pressure are distributed throughout the entire Universe.

PhD in biomedical engineering with application in neuroscience checking in here:

The people who only view gender as binary have very simple views and fail to understand the complexity of the brain and its neurotransmitters and hormones. These are the people that will never bother to study anything deeper than high school education, if that. Same people that ironically wonder why science has not cured all conditions and illnesses.

Don't bother with these people, they will never get past their narrow views because they can't handle the nuances of scientific research (or life).

Sure you are. And I'm a time travelling cybernetically enhanced cat from the 24th century with a human equivalent IQ of around 220. Genders are imaginary, and so are species once you stop thinking like a primitive meat bag.

It's glorious. MIT is far too important of an institution - literally the most elite in the country alongside Caltech - to succumb to culture war identity politics nonsense.

When I visited my friend at CalTech they built a spaceship to host a party. They had an In N Out truck come and cater.

It was wild. Then I met the supposed smartest dude on campus who was worshipped by all the super smart nerds.

He was super normal and surprisingly jacked.

Heh. General Relativity is so famous that it's damn near glossed over that Einstein also discovered the force carrier of electromagnetism (photons) in explaining the photoelectric effect, without knowledge of which semiconductors and industrial high tech (i.e. the modern world as we know it) couldn't of come into existence. He also proved the existence of atoms beyond doubt via Brownian Motion to verify a hypothesis that was originally put forth in 5th Century BC Ancient Greece. Monumental Motherfucker. He completely snapped.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your educational background?

I like to read on these topics on a high level through the books of Sean Carroll. I pre-ordered his upcoming book on "quanta and fields" and can't wait for it. Do you have any recommendations that are similar to Sean Carroll?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your educational background?

I like to read on these topics on a high level through the books of Sean Carroll. I pre-ordered his upcoming book on "quanta and fields" and can't wait for it. Do you have any recommendations that are similar to Sean Carroll?

A meager BSc in bio-chemistry, I just have a strong casual interest in physics and science history in general although it's sort of waned over the years. I come from a rural blue-collar family, nobody goes to college. They were kind of proud of it though and that made me feel good. You probs can't do much better than Carroll.

You're making a rather subtle argument here without actually supporting it in any way--you could do a bit better in that respect but I doubt that's your goal.

No question. But you all keep avoiding my main point and that’s simply to note that comparing climate science to gravity is nonsense, especially classifying both as ‘settled science’.

True equality is equal opportunity. Diversity will come naturally if there is equal opportunity.

Instead of DEI, policies and hiring practices should ensure that there are no racial, gender or religious hurdles that would prevent someone from getting a job, going to school, etc as long as they are qualified.

The other big flaw with DEI is blaming racism on the lack of diversity in certain fields when a lot of time it’s simply cultural differences. Women are overwhelmingly nurses but as long as men have the same opportunity, that’s all that matters. If it skews more women and the hiring practices is neutral, that’s just how the chips fell.

In some cases, you might find some jobs like firefighters are overwhelming white males. In this case, make sure your policies aren’t skewed to white men and then simply host job fairs and promote yourself to other communities as a career option and get them interested.

DEI is fine but it needs to come naturally and there are ways to do that.

No question. But you all keep avoiding my main point and that’s simply to note that comparing climate science to gravity is nonsense, especially classifying both as ‘settled science’.

It's totally absurd for myriad reasons. Climatology is sub-sub-field and 'the science' is essentially like, data collection, lol. It bears no comparison to the description of a universal fundamental force that is very arguably the greatest achievement in the history of scientific theory to date.

It's like you didn't even read the entire post. I'm not avoiding anything. I gave you complete answer. Anthropogenic climate change existing is settled science whether or not future outcomes are amenable to very precise prediction. Enough is settled that the mechanism is understood, actions we can take to lessen its impacts are fairly clear, and the consequences of doing nothing are fairly clear as well. See the Venezuela "Ice Sheet" thread--yes, no longer a glacier but an ice sheet, 10 years earlier than predicted due to El Nino effects, but they're going the way of the dodo at a rapid pace regardless.

Again, I claim you're making a distinction without a difference and you didn't say anything that argues against that in this post.

It's totally absurd for myriad reasons. Climatology is sub-sub-field and 'the science' is essentially like, data collection, lol. It bears no comparison to the description of a universal fundamental force that is very arguably the greatest achievement in the history of scientific theory to date.
Please see my post immediately above and my earlier posts in this exchange.

By the way, great to see you're still popping in from time to time. Nice to see you.

PhD from liberal cesspool you despise has given me a 6 figure job while working 30 hours per week (at most). Happily married, fit and healthy. Family all healthy. Travel 6 times per year. Nah dude, my life is great.

You on the other hand let the hatred ruin your day. I'm telling you, people with a balanced life don't communicate the way you do. Sounds like you're trying to channel your frustrations to something that has nothing to do with your failures. It's sad.

You humblebrag about your supposed top notch academic credentials and awesome life on a karate forum. Then you simultaneously accuse another poster (that you know nothing about) of having a small penis, of being old and a shit life.

I don't know man. Your maturity level based on your posting seems like you're full of shit.

And even if your credentials were somewhat true, biomedical engineering is a hard science. Gender ideology is a soft science at best.

This is an appeals to authority fallacy. "I'm an expert at A, so my opinions on subject B are also correct." No they're not, you do not have any experience in gender ideology to speak authoritatively on it.

My maggot detector is going crazy right now. Also, I'm actually very close to several of these institutions and have decent girth and slightly above average length.

My penis is 2 MM above average and decent! LOL

No need to defend it dude. 1. Perfectly fine to be average. 2. No one will believe you anyway.

Last edited:
Back