MMA/BJJ gyms in Seattle area

vigilante90210

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to Seattle in a couple months, just wondering if I could get some opinions and views on good MMA and BJJ gyms in the area. Thanks.

What neighborhood are you at? The Seattle-metro area is fairly big.

both matt hume and ivan salaverry have gyms in the seattle area. matt hume is an incredible grappler if your looking for no -gi grappling

w00t w00t, I'll be living in Seattle (more specifically, Renton) in the summer for an internship.

I have a buddy who goes to Foster BJJ, so thats where I'll be. www.fbjjonline.com I guess Coach Foster is a Lotus affiliate.

I have a buddy who trains at foster too. I've heard ok things. To the TS, I train at http://nwjja.com/. It's a little further from West Seattle than Gracie Barra, but it's a good place to train. Ivan Salaverry's gym is in downtown Seattle (not too far). Matt Hume's place is in Kirkland (about a 30-40 min drive from West Seattle).

id stay far far away from Marcelo Alonsos school if i were you. bad vibes.

ring demon is a good place to train, really cool guys there i had a great time

id stay far far away from Marcelo Alonsos school if i were you. bad vibes.

ring demon is a good place to train, really cool guys there i had a great time

??

I know a ton of serious guys that have trained with Marcelo for years. I don't know what "bad vibes" means, but he has an excellent local rep. Maybe it's just you.

He wasn't there when I went to train. The student he left in charge of his gi class was standoffish and downright rude. (The striking coach was nicer in the boxing class though). He wasted my time, plain and simple. I've posted on this matter before in other threads.

In addition, I know for a fact that some of his students, and other local competitors hold resentment against him for his conduct at tournaments and otherwise. I don't feel its my place to go into detail on it as Im not a part of the BJJ community in that area.

When Im visiting Seattle Ill most likely be going back to give it another chance, because Alonso is a well respected black belt and I would hate to have a sour opinion on him because of the way his gym was run when he wasnt there. I dont WANT to have a poor opinion of him, but the way I was treated, especially coming from another Carlson school, made my shake my head.

And as far is "maybe its just me..." That was uncalled for and just... snooty? Maybe, (and realistically) I have a valid reason towards the opinion I stated? Would that be so hard to believe? Im the cutest little ball of joy you'll ever encounter, and without sounding too ridiculous am one of the kindest, most polite, smiingest, nicest kids you'll ever come across, which many people on this forum can vouch for. And even after the unusual treatment I recieved I was still insanely polite to them, wished them the bset, shook hands with everyone and got back on the bus

Now the next day I went with a friend to Ring Demon to train with Eric Dahlberg, and Cindy Hales, both black belts under Alonso and was basically treated like family. I ended up going to that gym 3 or 4 more times throughout my vacation and was laughed at when I tried to pay Dahlberg a drop in fee. He told me "Youre on vacation man, just have some fun" and I learned a TON from him. And had a great time just hanging out in the lobby with his guys. I cant wait to go back there after Pan Ams next month.

He wasn't there when I went to train. The student he left in charge of his gi class was standoffish and downright rude. (The striking coach was nicer in the boxing class though). ---edited--- He told me "Youre on vacation man, just have some fun" and I learned a TON from him. And had a great time just hanging out in the lobby with his guys. I cant wait to go back there after Pan Ams next month.

It seems to me that if you dropped in one time while on vacation and had a bad experience with a fill-in instructor; that going around saying "I'd stay far far away from Marcelo Alonso's school if I were you. bad vibes" is a poor way to address the situation.

Then when I question it, you say you are going back there? Hardly makes sense to me but I hope you have a better experience next time.

I've got nothing bad to say about RingDemon.

It seems to me that if you dropped in one time while on vacation and had a bad experience with a fill-in instructor; that going around saying "I'd stay far far away from Marcelo Alonso's school if I were you. bad vibes" is a poor way to address the situation.

Then when I question it, you say you are going back there? Hardly makes sense to me but I hope you have a better experience next time.

I've got nothing bad to say about RingDemon.

I didnt say I didnt like Alonso, I said I didnt like his gym. His gym is copmrised of the people he puts in charge, students, etc. I recieved bad vibes from them and they were rude to me. So basically I just said EXACTLY what the situation was and how it made me feel, how is that a poor way to address it?

What doesn't make sense about that? I had a bad experience and am willing to go back and give it another try, because i dont like disliking people, places or things.

He wasn't there when I went to train. The student he left in charge of his gi class was standoffish and downright rude. (The striking coach was nicer in the boxing class though). He wasted my time, plain and simple. I've posted on this matter before in other threads.

do you know the names of the instructors? i searched your posts and it sounds like you were here fairly recently. marcelo generally doesnt have people start rolling until they have some techniques down. while i didnt start in that fashion, i think its better.

EDIT: it looks like i was the one who recommended marcelos to you hahaha. if you have any more information about what happened, let me know. i cant imagine someone having a problem.

Gracie Barra, lots of good guys down there of different levels. I think they just changed where their club is at too.

Still a warehouse, just a couple blocks down now i think.

Mamazinho is good stuff.

Back