Media MMA fighters are just a different level of athlete than kickboxers (Pereira is getting slaughtered)

AndrewGolota48

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And before you bring up the rare exceptions like Adesanya, remember that he is an MMA fighter that has been doing it for over a decade and actually started fighting MMA before kickboxing.

Exhibit A: Lungu vs Mighty Mo

An MMA beast HW like Lungu was able to steamroll Mighty Mo in a pure standup fight under MMA rules. Mo was one of the best kickboxers in the world and known for his remarkable chin and power in kickboxing, yet crumbled under the power of a single Lungu punch. No disrespect to Lungu but he's not the MMA equivalent of King Mo and was decimated by The Colossus James Thompson when they fought.

Exhibit B: Leko vs Ogawa

Again, Leko was one of the best kickboxers in the world and gets slept early by a Judoka in a pure standup fight under MMA rules.

Exhibit C: Rountree vs Saki

Everyone knows this one, no need to post.

In this fight though I wouldn't say there is an athleticism deficit for Pereira but I think he's way too green.

Strickland could win via a stodgy game plan.

But comparing that to any of those above is just ludicrous.

I will gladly eat my words if Strickland comes out looking any different than he did in his last several.

TS is 100% correct.

Everyone gets wrapped up in these absurd and completely unverifiable kickboxing "records". The vast majority of full sized pro kickboxers are nothing special relative to the best MMA strikers.

I do think there's a bigger skill gap with the lighter weight guys.

I think kickboxers today will be able to make the transition better than in the past. The physical demands for kickboxing are far different as soon as grappling is involved. To become a high level athlete at whatever sport you are in requires many hours of training and motor learning. The kickboxers of today are already cross training to some extent and are at the very least knowledgeable in mma and grappling and have an understanding that you cant just come in and dominate on kickboxing skills alone.

Top glory kickboxers like Ricco, Pereira or Doumbe are freak athletes.
But it's a different type of effort.

What does this have to do with athleticism?

The guys trained specifically for the rules in the fight did better... Yeah. No shit.

And before you bring up the rare exceptions like Adesanya, remember that he is an MMA fighter that has been doing it for over a decade and actually started fighting MMA before kickboxing.

Exhibit A: Lungu vs Mighty Mo

An MMA beast HW like Lungu was able to steamroll Mighty Mo in a pure standup fight under MMA rules. Mo was one of the best kickboxers in the world and known for his remarkable chin and power in kickboxing, yet crumbled under the power of a single Lungu punch. No disrespect to Lungu but he's not the MMA equivalent of King Mo and was decimated by The Colossus James Thompson when they fought.

Exhibit B: Leko vs Ogawa

Again, Leko was one of the best kickboxers in the world and gets slept early by a Judoka in a pure standup fight under MMA rules.

Exhibit C: Rountree vs Saki

Everyone knows this one, no need to post.

Leko threw the fight against Ogawa, but I agree that pure strikers tend to underperform in MMA.

The threat of a takedown causes kickboxers to stand and react in ways they never would normally. Distance management is difficult unless you are accustomed to defending takedown.

Glove size is also a big issue - a high guard using boxing gloves offers decent protection....mma gloves, not so much. They get hit with shots that would normally be blocked in a kickboxing match. This is what happened to Saki.

It's not that they are less talented or less athletic, it's just a different sport that takes time to master. Same thing happens when Mma guys go to kickboxing.

Wasn’t Strickland just saying how much more athletically gifted AP was than him?? LOL

Heavyweight fights from 20 years ago don't count.

Pereria's left hooks is redonculous. If he lands that its COITENS for Strickland.

COITENS

it's almost like ....it's a different sport...

it's a dumb comparison because you just cherry picked 3 fights. what about Cro Cop's entire MMA career? he was destroying all kinds of MMA fighters, both strikers and grapplers. you also lied about some of the "facts". Mighty Mo was never "one of the best kickboxers in the world" he has more losses than wins in kickboxing. ironically, he actually has a much better MMA record at 12-6. Leko did not get "slept" by Ogawa, he got dropped and submitted. with all this misinformation, some that's so obvious that you can just watch your video you posted and see that what you said is not true, makes anything else you say have no weight at all.

Leko threw the fight against Ogawa, but I agree that pure strikers tend to underperform in MMA.

The threat of a takedown causes kickboxers to stand and react in ways they never would normally. Distance management is difficult unless you are accustomed to defending takedown.

Glove size is also a big issue - a high guard using boxing gloves offers decent protection....mma gloves, not so much. They get hit with shots that would normally be blocked in a kickboxing match. This is what happened to Saki.

It's not that they are less talented or less athletic, it's just a different sport that takes time to master. Same thing happens when Mma guys go to kickboxing.

I mostly agree with you until the last part, we've seen MMA walk in and have immediate success.

Mousasi finishes Musashi

Rampage finishes Abidi (Rampage also wins the rematch)

Overeem has too much kickboxing success to even mention.

Wateva, you're just pushing a kickboxing hater agenda..

Superbon, Gregorian or Petrosyan absolutely body any mma fighter at their weight in a stand up fight (mma gloves).

Back