Raiders947

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know any?

Gokor teaches it at Hayastan MMA In Los Angeles

Rhadi Ferguson teaches it in Florida

Chris Herzog teaches nogi Judo in Rochester,NY

Brady MMA in Florida has nogi Judo

It's real hard to find "nogi Judo" and besides the places you named I assume you basically have to just train with someone that's adapted Judo without the grips of the gi and is also decent at teaching it. I didn't even really know it was an officially taught thing outside of Hayatstan, Rhadi Ferguson, or Karo Parisyan, etc.

There are probably a few scattered programs, but it's not very common. As Drew Foster said, you'd probably have better luck finding someone at an MMA school who has adapted their judo to nogi. That being said, why are you looking for nogi judo in particular?

If you don't have much luck finding a dedicated program, you could always try to learn how to use your judo in MMA sparring. I use mine all the time in the clinch by adapting my grips. It's really not too tough to make judo fit into your nogi/MMA game provided that the judo schools around you don't suck terribly. I was stuck at a real McDojo-y place for a couple of years that taught me nothing about grip fighting, angles, or how to adapt throws to an opponent who isn't standing perfectly upright with their legs spread at exactly the right distance. Our randori basically consisted of two people with neutral grips spinning stupidly until someone got something that looked vaguely like a throw. I always thought it was a decent program because we'd crush most of the non-Jimmy-Pedro schools in our state, but the first green belt to come to us from his place made me realize just how pitiful the vast majority of our judo programs are up here in the Northeast. Hope it's not so bad elsewhere. I've actually been training under that same green belt ever since he got his black, so I've been pretty fortunate. If you learn good, legitimate judo, then I don't see why changing a sleeve grab to a wrist/triceps grab, and a power grip to an collar/underhook would change your game too much.

You'd probably be better off finding an MMA-oriented wrestling program, though. There is only one Hayastan, but there are tons of MMA gyms with good wrestling programs. Almost every throw in judo is in wrestling, and it's all designed without a gi.

Me - here in Oz, though I'm no Rhadi etc.

U.S. wise, I know the guys from Shingitai do a lot of no go judo. Take a look at anyone belonging to the Freestyle judo association for club listings

Since you're probably in California, I'm assuming you're a Raiders fan and there's not many of those outside of Californa... There's Orange Country Judo, http://www.ocjudo.com/ , that offeres a nogi judo class on Saturdays. And here's a list of clubs that support Freestyle Judo, which does some nogi stuff as well. http://www.freestylejudo.org/IFJA/

Last edited:
I'll teach you some no-gi Judo. I've adapted my Judo game for no-gi/MMA with some moderate success. Hint: focus on leg techniques and don't spend a ton of time on hip throws.

I'll teach you some no-gi Judo. I've adapted my Judo game for no-gi/MMA with some moderate success. Hint: focus on leg techniques and don't spend a ton of time on hip throws.

Interesting. Which takedowns do you suggest?

In no particular order, harai goshi, ko soto gari, tsesai suri komi ashi, de ashi harai, and a modified yoko otoshi are my high % throws in nogi. They're also my go to gi throws. I'm working on my uchi mata but it's still got a ways to go. I've also been drilling a wonderful uchi mata feint into rolling kneebar that Karo was teaching when Gokor was out of the country earlier this month.

I've seen harai goshi and ko soto gari working over and over again in very high level mma.

The key thing is adapting the grips (sleeve becomes wrist or tricep control, lapel grip becomes overhook, underhook, or collar tie, etc).

I strongly recommend nogi uchikomi for anyone looking to adapt their game.

Also just to clarify a point, Hayastan doesn't have a nogi judo class. We have nogi classes and gi classes, and there's a ton of judoka present for both. Guys like Karo, Manny, and Karen (the guy who took Tonon into overtime on EBI and never got subbed by him at EBI) are there at all the nogi classes and Gene Lebell is around from time to time. In nogi you freequently see heavy judo and catch influences in the instruction and in the free grappling. Lots of kesa gatame and throws in nogi but lots of leglocks too.

Last edited:
Interesting. Which takedowns do you suggest?

Basically just 5: ouchi gari, kouchi gari, osoto gari, sasae tsuri komi ashi, and kosoto gake. I think the hip throws are great IF you are already fairly good at them, but if you're not I don't think they're worth a lot of time investment because they leave you in terrible position if you screw up. If I had to pick one of them though, I think uchi mata is very useful in MMA.

This is actually no kurtka "sambo" :wink:

But I think foot sweeps are amazing for nogi, if you can get a solid single collar tie... you can foot sweep the world.

That's why I put judo in " ".

Bodycomb shows a nice IF-THEN system that is wonderfully coherent. Can't recommend highly enough for those looking at no-gi throws

I teach ogoshi as a major foundational (roller) throw, followed by uki-goshi / tsuri-goshi (which opens up harai/hane/uchi). Once folks can nail those in nagekomi, I'll teach ashi-guruma and koshigurma; ogoshi becomes a warm up throw.

From there on, it's pretty much self explanatory.

From 1 thing, learn 10,000.

I like roller and driver ideas, so I'm not too precious with Japanese pedagogy. Eg: traditionalists would shit kittens at ippon seoinage being taught as "ogoshi but with an arm grip".

Last edited:
Basically just 5: ouchi gari, kouchi gari, osoto gari, sasae tsuri komi ashi, and kosoto gake. I think the hip throws are great IF you are already fairly good at them, but if you're not I don't think they're worth a lot of time investment because they leave you in terrible position if you screw up. If I had to pick one of them though, I think uchi mata is very useful in MMA.

Awesome! I'll try these out.

Basically just 5: ouchi gari, kouchi gari, osoto gari, sasae tsuri komi ashi, and kosoto gake.
Do you think it'd be possible for someone like me without much of a formal judo/wrestling background to good enough at these to transition between them at will?

Back