Mma scoring needs half point rounds or 10-8 to be the most common score

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The problem with mma scoring is that 90+% of rounds are scored 10-9. A fighter can win a 10-9 round just by landing an extra jab or two or one takedown with no damage, or they could be winning the whole 5 minutes imposing their will: there just never was a brutal beat down near stoppage moment for judges to hand out a (current) 10-8.

There needs to be more discrepancy in the final score result for rounds where it’s very close round and you almost have to just pick a winner, and rounds where there was a crystal clear winner even if if wasn’t enough of a beat down for a 10-8

The problem with mma scoring is that 90+% of rounds are scored 10-9. A fighter can win a 10-9 round just by landing an extra jab or two or one takedown with no damage, or they could be winning the whole 5 minutes imposing their will: there just never was a brutal beat down near stoppage moment for judges to hand out a (current) 10-8.

There needs to be more discrepancy in the final score result for rounds where it’s very close round and you almost have to just pick a winner, and rounds where there was a crystal clear winner even if if wasn’t enough of a beat down for a 10-8

Unless your system is both a) idiot proof and b) corruption proof, then it won't improve judging.

Add half points and watch the fuckheads at ringside either not use them or apply them incorrectly.

I have big issues with the 10-point must system, but the system wasn't the issue with that bizarre 10-8, it was the guy abusing it.

You don't need half points. You already have a scale that gives judges ten points to use for each fighter. They don't need 20. They just need to use the existing options.

A typical round should be 10-8. A one-sided round should be 10-7. A dominant round / near stoppage should be 10-6. Only very close rounds should be 10-9.

MMA doesn't have enough rounds to make up for 10-8 scores in 3 round fights. What they really need to do is junk the stupid scoring system that came from another sport and start judging the fights as a whole, more like Pride.
There would still be arguments but I don't believe they'd be like what the 10pt system has done to MMA.

Here's my argument:

So, basically instead of giving the 5th round a 10-8, this goof judge (Mike Bell) is now just gonna give it a 10-7 (under the premise that 10-8s are now the most common score).

...Now what? Lol.

As someone above me said, it doesn't fix shitty judging. Probably just gives them more room to be shitty, to be honest.

Interview the judges and investigate their super shady scorecards.

Have a system of challenges and repercussions, suspensions, licenses revoked, fucking public flogging... you get the idea.

It could be like the relegation system in European soccer/football. Those who are not performing move down to less important contests and replaced by those performing well at lower levels.

Until there is some measure of accountability, expect this shit to continue.

The current system is flawed but this solution like all others brings along it’s own problems. The biggest one being giving judges more options just gives them more ways to fuck it up. The best solution is clarifying the criteria more and holding judges accountable when they fuck up.

No no no no no. You would only make things worse.

Hey, you know how to fix shitty judging? Give them more resources/power and make it even more convoluted to hide their corruption.

You don't need half points. You already have a scale that gives judges ten points to use for each fighter. They don't need 20. They just need to use the existing options.

A typical round should be 10-8. A one-sided round should be 10-7. A dominant round / near stoppage should be 10-6. Only very close rounds should be 10-9.
No no no no no. Man sherdoggers don't use their brains

Here's my argument:

So, basically instead of giving the 5th round a 10-8, this goof judge (Mike Bell) is now just gonna give it a 10-7 (under the premise that 10-8s are now the most common score).

...Now what? Lol.

As someone above me said, it doesn't fix shitty judging. Probably just gives them more room to be shitty, to be honest.
Correct. Giving someone who does a shitty job even more power is ass backwards

Judges can barely do the math and get it right with the 10-9 system, something like this would be a disaster

I think the main problem is chunking off the scoring of the fight into time segments in the first place. It should be PRIDE FC style judging. If large segments of a fight are like a stalemate sparing match, those parts of the fight should be irrelevant to the judges decision.

Back