MMA with wrestling shoes on?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A couple months ago I started a thread asking if anyone else wanted to see MMA without the cage- maybe like an open mat https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...out-the-cage-take-off.4294324/#post-171261694

In general I want to see more experimentation with different rulesets. To go along with that..... how about MMA with shoes? Getting rid of the cage would take some takedowns away, having the fighters wear wrestling shoes would bring them back. Obviously it's much harder to shoot when you're barefoot, I've heard wrestlers complain about this all the time. Plus you'd get savate-style kicks.

I remember in some of the early UFCs they wore shoes. What do people think? Would it make MMA more interesting?

Not sure if it would work. I think sometimes when they allowed shoes they didn't allow head kicks if you wore them out of fear of the shoes causing cuts but I know Cro Cop wore shoes when he fought Hunt in MMA and was able to throw head kicks. Would be interesting but hard to do a huge mat and cuts from the shoes could be a problem.

Not sure if it would work. I think sometimes when they allowed shoes they didn't allow head kicks if you wore them out of fear of the shoes causing cuts but I know Cro Cop wore shoes when he fought Hunt in MMA and was able to throw head kicks. Would be interesting but hard to do a huge mat and cuts from the shoes could be a problem.
I never understood those rules

Cro cop used shoes and even throwed axe kicks

Then, there was that Guy at UFC who got dq for throwing kicks

I also think minowa won one of his UFC matches with a cut that opened after he landes a headkick. He had his shoes on

Thats a mess over mess lol

Anyway

I believe RIZIN still allows people to wear shoes.
If im not mistaken, Brandon Halsey had shoes on his last fight there

But savate has kicks with shoes on, including headkicks. They probably make the edge of the shoe soft to avoid cuts, but- savate's been a martial art for over a century, so it seems doable

But savate has kicks with shoes on, including headkicks. They probably make the edge of the shoe soft to avoid cuts, but- savate's been a martial art for over a century, so it seems doable
Maybe with special shoes the extra risk of cuts might not be too big of a problem.

I never understood those rules

Cro cop used shoes and even throwed axe kicks

Then, there was that Guy at UFC who got dq for throwing kicks

I also think minowa won one of his UFC matches with a cut that opened after he landes a headkick. He had his shoes on

Thats a mess over mess lol
Yeah, they would have to have concrete rules about shoes and what kinds of shoes you can wear to throw head kicks.

Think King Mo fought shoes on in a Rizin tournament.

Back