MMA without drama/entertainment is unbearably boring, this is why UFC is superior

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I fall into a category of fan that can't stand MMA from only a sport aspect.

When there isn't any drama or other reasons aside from "who's the better fighter" I have to bet money to make it watchable.

I generally tune in for all UFC events, but the fights that truly get my blood going are ones where there is a backstory and drama and a legitimate reason for two people to fight.

(McGregor vs. Khabib, Diaz vs Masvidal, Colby vs. Masvidal, TJ vs Cejduo, ect.)

Just two guys fighting it out to see who is the better competitor is kinda well... boring. I want to see drama, pain, trash talking, and fights becoming personal.

I think for the most part UFC does that better than most MMA promotions. This is why I think the UFC is the top dog, they realize MMA is more than just about the best fighting the best, it's about entertainment, it's about giving the fans what they want to see.

Yes, even if that means signing CM Punk, or giving Covington a title shot over Belal, because that's what the fans want to see, and at the end of the day, what the fans want to see pays the bill.

What do you think? Are fights that much better with drama?

Drama adds to it, but unknown fighters Must Bring It HARD to gain fans !

So you are not pumped for Oliveira vs Dariush?

Hard disagree.
A fight is literally 15 or 25 minutes at the most, ridculously short for sports standards. Packed with action, can end at any time.

And the selling point should be watching idiot hillbilly fascists play middle school boy level freestyle battles?
Fuck no.
I watch none of the press or twitter and shit and I enjoy the cards all the same.

When I think about some of the dumbshi --delete delete -- thoughtful things I've seen you write, this post and your entire personality make a whole lot of sense.

You'd love mexican telenovelas. No lie, they have some crazy drama with tons of twists and turns.

I agree with drama supplementing the entertainment factor of the matchup, but ultimately the fight has to speak for itself. If you're going to talk big game to hype up a fight and then lay and pray or volume strike for the whole fight, what's the point?

I fall into a category of fan that can't stand MMA from only a sport aspect.

When there isn't any drama or other reasons aside from "who's the better fighter" I have to bet money to make it watchable.

I generally tune in for all UFC events, but the fights that truly get my blood going are ones where there is a backstory and drama and a legitimate reason for two people to fight.

(McGregor vs. Khabib, Diaz vs Masvidal, Colby vs. Masvidal, TJ vs Cejduo, ect.)

Just two guys fighting it out to see who is the better competitor is kinda well... boring. I want to see drama, pain, trash talking, and fights becoming personal.

I think for the most part UFC does that better than most MMA promotions. This is why I think the UFC is the top dog, they realize MMA is more than just about the best fighting the best, it's about entertainment, it's about giving the fans what they want to see.

Yes, even if that means signing CM Punk, or giving Covington a title shot over Belal, because that's what the fans want to see, and at the end of the day, what the fans want to see pays the bill.

What do you think? Are fights that much better with drama?

To be honest, most combat sports are sold this way. The drama around the fight is often the biggest selling point.

I think this happens in combat sports because they don't have the "team" selling point. The passion people get for their team becomes a selling point. Even bad teams in nba/nfl sell strongly because of that. In combat sports you can't rely on that so they often sell on the drama.

While you are brave enough to admit it, all these people complaining about weak cards are equally uninterested in 2 no name fighters fight even if it is a good fight. Lots of the fight night cards have some great fights on them, it is just nobody was looking forward to them because the profiles of the fighters was low.

I don't like fighting for the sake of fighting. I have no interest in seeing a 10-8 fighter go again someone that is 7-5. That's just filler, a waste of time and guys that aren't going to be anything special. I don't care if it ends up being a good fight. I want to see the best fight the best or guys/gals that are entertaining and elevate the sport.

I also really enjoy the press conferences, but not really for the drama spect. I like to know what’s next for a fighter and how they view themselves in their respective divisions. I guess I’m more a fan of the post fight press conferences than the hype building conferences they have before the fight.

Any and all "drama" I get from a fight is wondering who is going to win, and how, inside the octagon

None of the other shit matters to me, at all. I guess we're "opposites"

People are going to shit on you for this take but I most people like a little bad blood more than they are willing to admit

I like when certain fights have some spice added to them, but the actual fight has to deliver action and violence.
If not, it would be just wasting my time seeing two dudes saying mean shit to each other and then engaging in a staring contest.
Example: Wanderlei Silva vs Arona were two of the most letdown fights for me, after all that talk they delivered two stinkers.

A little bad blood can spice things up, but it's certainly not necessary for me. To the best of my knowledge, there was little to no bad blood between Lawler and MacDonald, and that may have been the most intense fight I've ever seen, just as a case in point.

Back