MNN (Trailer for Shark Thriller 47 Meters Down; Joe Johnston to Direct Narnia: The Silver Chair)

AVATAR 2 to Begin Shooting This Fall, Says Sigourney Weaver

Avatar-Movie-2009-040317-Dragonlord.png

Production on the Avatar sequel is set to begin in the fall, according to Sigourney Weaver.

“We’re starting!” the actress excitedly told The Hollywood Reporter at a screening of The Assignment, held Monday night at New York City’s Whitby Hotel. “We’re starting training, and we’re starting — hmm, I probably can’t say anything. We will be actually shooting it by the fall.”

James Cameron has previously noted that the scripts of all four Avatar films are completed, and stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are also set to return alongside Weaver. But fans were disappointed to hear that the second film would not be ready for a 2018 release date. Though the sequel to the 2009 sci-fi blockbuster, which grossed $2.7 billion at the global box office, had not officially been dated, it was expected for Christmas 2018.

Yet Weaver reassures that audiences’ patience will be rewarded in time.

“I’m telling you, these scripts are so amazing, I’m not worried about [disappointing fans] at all,” she told THR. “Am I worried about how we’re going to bring them to life? Yes, because they’re so ambitious. They’re so worth it. They're well worth waiting for. I’m not worried about that at all. We’re trying to get it done as quickly as possible.”

James Cameron's 'Avatar 2' to Begin Shooting This Fall, Says Sigourney Weaver

First Trailer for I AM HEATH LEDGER Documentary

A born director. A fearless actor. An unforgettable artist. I Am Heath Ledger premieres May 17th on Spike.

Denis Villeneuve's DUNE Enlists Oscar-Winning Writer Eric Roth for Reboot

Eric-Roth-Dune-Dragonlord.jpg

Denis Villeneuve's Dune reboot has found a writer to bring Arrakis back to the big screen.

Eric Roth, who won the Oscar for his screenplay for Forrest Gump, will adapt Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel that follows Paul Atreides, whose family controls the desert planet Arrakis, the only producer of a highly valuable resource, spice melange. When Paul and his family are betrayed, he leads a rebellion to regain control of his home world.

Legendary picked up the film and television rights to Herbert's classic in late 2016.

Science fiction novelist Kevin J. Anderson, who is responsible for Star Wars and X-Files spinoff novels, among other works, will serve as a creative consultant.

Roth, whose other credits include The Insider and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, also penned the screenplay for Bradley Cooper's upcoming A Star Is Born remake for Warner Bros.

Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' Enlists Oscar-Winning Writer Eric Roth for Reboot

Jeffrey Dean Morgan to Battle Giant Monsters with Dwayne Johnson in RAMPAGE

Jeffrey-Dean-Morgan-Rampage-Dragonlord.jpg

The Walking Dead‘s Jeffrey Dean Morgan will put down the baseball bat for a while as he has signed on to join Dwayne Johnson in the New Line monster movie Rampage.

The film is on track for an April 20, 2018, release and has an ensemble cast that includes Moonlight‘s Naomie Harris, Malin Akerman, Joe Manganiello, Jake Lacy, Marley Shelton, PJ Byrne, Jack Quaid, Matt Gerald and Breanne Hill.

Rampage‘s exact logline is under wraps, but like the 1980s Midway arcade game on which it is based, the central conflict comes down to this: There are three giant monsters wreaking havoc across North America – and Johnson is the only hope of stopping them.

Morgan will play Agent Russell, who works for a covert government division called OGA and rolls with serious swagger and attitude.

Rampage reunites Johnson with New Line, producer Beau Flynn and director Brad Peyton; they previously teamed for the global hits San Andreas and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

The Rampage script is by Ryan Engle, with revisions by Carlton Cuse & Ryan Condal and Adam Sztykiel supplying the latest revisions.

‘The Walking Dead’s Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Rampage’

Anyone hear of these B movies

They look inredasting and not cheaply made.

Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Steve Carell to Star in Adam McKay's Dick Cheney Movie

eUjCXzK.jpg

The Big Short’s Adam McKay has found the cast for his untitled film about Dick Cheney at Paramount Pictures. Christian Bale is his choice for Dick Cheney, Steve Carell is the choice for Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and Amy Adams is the choice for Cheney’s wife Lynne.

It seems an intriguing and gutsy movie for a studio trying to regain its footing under new chairman Jim Gianopulos. The filmmaker’s plan is to shoot in September, for release in late 2018.

McKay revealed to Deadline in November that he would make the film about Cheney, who moved from Halliburton chief executive to become reputedly the most powerful vice president in American history.

McKay wrote the script. Plan B’s Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner will produce with McKay and his Gary Sanchez partners Will Ferrell and Kevin Messick. They are all reuniting after The Big Short got five Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Director, and which won Oscars for McKay and Charles Randolph for adapting the book by Michael Lewis.

This puts him back in business with Bale and Carell, who starred in The Big Short. The Cheney film is one of several that have come recently on very timely, topical, hot-button subjects. It continues the politically aware track for McKay, a smart guy who transitioned with Ferrell from Saturday Night Live writer to film scripter/director of comedy hits that included Talladega Nights, Step Brothers and Anchorman. This is no knee-jerk endeavor — he said it was something he quietly began writing right after winning the Oscar, part of his continuing evolution that started with The Big Short. In Cheney, McKay found what he feels is arguably the single most powerful political figure in modern American history.

Christian Bale, Steve Carell and Amy Adams Starring In Adam McKay’s Dick Cheney Film

Arnold Schwarzenegger Won't Appear in EXPENDABLES 4 Without Sly Stallone

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-1000x370-Dragonlord.png

Arnold Schwarzenegger tells EW that he will not appear in The Expendables 4 without Sylvester Stallone, who has reportedly departed from the action sequel. “There is no Expendables without Sly,” says the Terminator star. “I would never do the movie without him, no.”

Last Friday, Stallone's rep confirmed to EW that the actor had withdrawn from the fourth installment of the action franchise because he and Nu Image/Millennium chief Avi Lerner could not find common ground on a new director, on the script, and on certain qualitative elements of the film. In addition to playing mercenary leader Barney Ross in the Expendables series, Stallone also cowrote the first three films and directed 2010’s franchise-inaugurating The Expendables.

Schwarzenegger himself played the character of Trench in the first three Expendables films but explains that he knows few details about the proposed fourth movie in the franchise. “I have not seen the script; I don’t even know if there is a script, even though they want to shoot in August again, like they usually do,” says the actor.

Even if Stallone returns to the project, Schwarzenegger insists that he will not appear in a fourth film unless he felt that his character was properly developed, something which he believes did not happen on 2014’s The Expendables 3.

“You know, I think the first and second one were terrific,” he said. “But, the third one, I thought my part was not written well. It was also not playing well in the movie, as far as I was concerned. Maybe other people believed differently. But I didn’t believe that I had any value in the movie. I love the franchise, by the way. I think it’s a spectacular franchise, The Expendables. I think that Sly has good ideas, what he wants to do with it, and I think if they write a really good script [in] which my part is very well-developed, I would do it. If not, then I won’t do it.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/05/arn.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Demian Bichir to Star in THE CONJURING Spinoff THE NUN

Demian-Bichir-040517-Dragonlord.jpg

Oscar-nominated actor Demian Bichir will star in The Nun, the latest thriller from New Line’s horror universe based on characters from James Wan’s The Conjuring movies.

Corin Hardy is directing the movie, which is based on the breakout demon nun character from The Conjuring 2.

Plot details are being kept in the cloister, but Bichir will play a priest named Father Burke who is dispatched by Rome to investigate the mysterious death of a nun.

Wan, who is prepping to shoot Warner Bros.’ massive Aquaman movie, remains deeply involved with the project. He is producing, via his Atomic Monster production label, with Peter Safran and co-wrote the script with Gary Dauberman.

The demonic nun was a character added late in the production of Conjuring 2 during reshoots that occurred just months before its release when Wan had an idea to reconceive a demon — but her scenes' intensity took hold of audiences' fears as the movie scared up $320 million at the global box office on a budget of only $40 million.

The Nun, meanwhile, has been blessed with a July 13, 2018, release. A shoot in Romania is set for this summer.

Bichir’s performance in the 2011 drama A Better Life earned him an Academy Award nomination as well as noms for an Independent Spirit Award and a SAG Award. The actor is a multiple nominee and winner of an Ariel Award, the Oscar of his native Mexico, and has Universal’s Lowriders awaiting release. Bichir also will be seen in Ridley Scott’s upcoming Alien: Covenant.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/demian-bichir-star-conjuring-spinoff-nun-991379

Arnold Schwarzenegger Turned Down Cameo Offer in Shane Black's THE PREDATOR

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-The-Predator-040617-Dragonlord.jpg

It has already taken out human mercenaries, alien warriors and even Topher Grace — but there's one person that the Predator can't intimidate. Arnold Schwarzenegger has said that he's had a chance to read the screenplay for the upcoming relaunch of the sci-fi monster franchise, and he's not impressed.

Asked by Yahoo! Movies if he was involved with Shane Black's revival of the series, Schwarzenegger revealed that he'd already been approached — but had turned down the opportunity.

"They asked me, and I read it, and I didn’t like it — whatever they offered," he said. "So I’m not going to do that, no. Except if there’s a chance that they rewrite it, or make it a more significant role. But the way it is now, no, I won’t do that."

The actor had starred in the original Predator in 1987 as Dutch Schaefer, the sole human survivor of a Predator attack — indeed, he defeated the Predator in hand-to-hand combat — but it's unclear if he would have been reprising that role or appearing in a different capacity in Black's project, The Predator, which takes place after the first two movies in the series but before 2010's Predators.

The chances for Schwarzenegger to get his wish and have the role expanded are getting smaller by the day: Production on the movie started in February.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Rejected 'The Predator' Role After Reading the Script

GHOST IN THE SHELL Will Likely Lose $60M-$100 Million After Its Theatrical Run

Ghost-in-the-Shell-Scarlett-Johansson-040617-Dragonlord.png

After vanishing in its opening weekend at the domestic box office to $18.6 million, film finance sources tell Deadline that Paramount/DreamWorks-Reliance’s Ghost In The Shell stands to lose at least $60 million, and that’s based off a global box office projection of $200 million ($50 million domestic, $150 million international) and combined P&A/production costs of $250 million.

Some sources even assert that the production cost for Ghost is far north of $110 million and more in the $180 million range — if that’s the case, Ghost is bleeding in excess of $100 million.

Through yesterday, the film has only collected $62 million at the worldwide B.O. Here was an opportunity for two studios to create a new franchise based on a popular manga comic by Shirow Masamune — one which DreamWorks’ Steven Spielberg was elated to acquire nearly a decade ago — featuring a popular action star in Lucy and Avengers’ Scarlett Johansson. Now those chances for a series are nil.

Paramount argues that the whitewashing controversy fed into reviews and thus was responsible for plummeting its Rotten Tomatoes score from 71% to 45% in a 24-hour period between its Wednesday, March 29 all-media screening and its preview Thursday night. This in turn dinged the pic’s tracking, dropping its opening projections from $25-$30 million to $18.6 million.

However, most critics didn’t like Ghost because it was cold, boring, thoughtless, and the same old same old next to its futuristic ancestors The Matrix and Blade Runner. Paramount knew they had a lame duck, and held the film from review until two days before it opened, and prevented CinemaCon industry press from watching the pic in advance.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-i...hansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

Gina Carano to Star in Jason Mewes' Meta Movie MADNESS IN THE METHOD

Gina-Carano-040717-Dragonlord.png

MMA champion-turned-actress Gina Carano is wrapping up shooting Madness in the Method, the directorial debut of Jay and Silent Bob actor Jason Mewes.

Described as a “meta movie,” the story is a dark comedy that tells of an actor named Jason Mewes attempting to reinvent himself in Hollywood. Mewes is starring as himself and co-wrote the script with Christ Anastasi and Dominic Burns. Mewes is also producing with Burns and Rob Weston.

Carano is playing Mewes’ wife in a role that should showcase another side to the actress, who established herself as an action star with movies such as Haywire, Fast and Furious 6 and, more recently, Deadpool.

Among those making appearances in the movie is Mewes’ pal, Kevin Smith, and Teri Hatcher. Shooting is taking place in Los Angeles and Derby, United Kingdom.

Gina Carano Joins Jason Mewes' Meta Movie 'Madness in the Method' (Exclusive)

CHUCK Trailer Introduces Liev Schreiber as the Real Rocky Balboa

A boxing drama about heavyweight boxer Chuck Wepner, the inspiration for Sylvester Stallone's Rocky.

Miles Teller to Reteam with Shailene Woodley for Survival Movie ADRIFT

Miles-Teller-032717-Dragonlord.png

Miles Teller is in negotiations to join Shailene Woodley in Adrift, a survival thriller being made by STX Entertainment.

Baltasar Kormakur, who tackled the people vs. nature theme in Everest, is attached to direct the project, which is based on the true story of a woman who sets off on a sailing trip to Tahiti with her fiance. But after a massive storm, the woman finds herself alone at sea with her boat in ruins. The story, which toggles back to the couple's courtship and the perilous present, follows her attempts to save herself and the man she loves on a 1,500-mile journey to Hawaii.

If a deal closes, Teller would play her husband. (And, if a deal closes, it will mark the fifth movie Teller and Woodley have worked on after Spectacular Now and a trio of Divergent movies.)

Aaron and Jordan Kandell, who worked on Disney’s animated hit Moana, wrote the script on spec. The Kandells are also producing the project, which is eyeing a summer shoot.

Teller will shoot Adrift before he moves onto Too Old to Die Young, Amazon’s crime-thriller series from Drive filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn that explores a hidden world of assassins.

Miles Teller in Talks to Join Shailene Woodley in Survival Movie 'Adrift' (Exclusive)

Henry Cavill Wearing Christopher Reeve's Superman Suit for His MAN OF STEEL Audition

Q57erdD.png

Ridley Scott to Direct BATTLE OF BRITAIN Project; Matthew Orton Writing Script

Ridley-Scott-040317a-Dragonlord.png

Ridley Scott may be currently gearing up for his Getty kidnapping drama, but he’s also got his eye on another historical pic that he’s keen to add to his list of credits. The Brit director is planning to helm a project for 20th Century Fox based on the epic Battle of Britain, one of the most decisive battles in World War II history that saw the British underdogs overcome Nazi titans.

Up-and-coming UK writer Matthew Orton, who recently wrote the WWII historical drama Operation Finale (previously known as Eichmann) which will star Oscar Isaac, will write the script. Matt Charman, who wrote Bridge of Spies for Steven Spielberg, will exec produce the film.

Sources tell Deadline that Battle of Britain is in very early stages, but this is a passion project for Scott, who’s been keen to make a film version of what is known as “Britain’s finest hour” for some time. Fox bought the project as a pitch last year, and Scott Free will produce with Safehouse’s Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell. Steve Asbell will oversee the project for Fox.

It will be the first time someone has tackled the weighty subject matter of the epic military campaign — considered the first major battle fought entirely by air forces — since Guy Hamilton’s 1969 film Battle Of Britain. In the summer of 1940, after Adolf Hitler swept through France and drove the British army out of mainland Europe, the British public readied themselves for a Nazi invasion. A large part of Hitler’s early-war momentum was driven by his powerful air force, the Luftwaffe, and in late June 1940 (after the Dunkirk evacuation), Germany began to prepare for a battle with Britain’s Royal Air Force. Around 3,000 RAF men fought the mighty Luftwaffe in the battle, which lasted 112 days, and by October, the RAF emerged victorious. It became the first major defeat for Germany in WWII and is seen as one of a few major turning points of the war for the allied forces.

Ridley Scott To Direct Battle Of Britain Project For Fox; Matthew Orton Writing Script

This could go really well, or it could go horribly wrong. Hopefully, it doesn't rely overly much on CGI. I know real planes are expensive, and hard to find, but CGI won't compare to real footage. The 1969 movie was great.

9-Minute Sneak Peek at BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN Animated Movie

First Teaser Trailer for Marvel's THOR: RAGNAROK

Back