Mossberg 88 Security

Decent Kicks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm kind of newer to guns.

I have a handgun but am looking to add to my "collection" (lol 1 gun) for home defense purposes and was eye balling the Mossberg 88 Security for its low profile and price.

Am I on to something or is there possibly a better choice out there?

Is it the Maverick? It is cheap and reliable and lightweight, so I guess it is a steal. But I believe the handgun will be better for noob home defense. Handgun is easier to maneuver in close quarters for noob, and you can hold it while dialing the cops, or turning on the lights.

Look into a Mossberg 500 or 590. Still affordable but a lot more aftermarket stuff out there for them.

Is it the Maverick? It is cheap and reliable and lightweight, so I guess it is a steal. But I believe the handgun will be better for noob home defense. Handgun is easier to maneuver in close quarters for noob, and you can hold it while dialing the cops, or turning on the lights.
Pistols also require endlessly more training to be competent with. A shotgun will always be a better home defense weapon in most cases because it points better and offers superior first shot fire power. a shotgun is also easier to maintain control of if a close contact encounter in your house was to occur. its significantly harder for an assailant to surprise you, disarm you and turn your own weapon against you if the weapon you are controlling has some much more leverage.

Would like to add that at my gun store we sell tons of Maverick 88's. almost entirely because of the price point. at 179-220 bucks, your getting a fairly reliable no frills shotgun. add an extra 100 bucks though and you are getting defense versions of the Mossberg 500 like the persuader model with ghost ring sights and rails for a flashlight. and the 500 is a much superior shotgun to the 88 in both operation (tang mounted safety) and longevity.

Get a 500 or an 870, I prefer the 870 because that's what I've used for 25 years but some people prefer the safety of a 500.

Definitely an 870 or a 500/590. No other option.

But I believe the handgun will be better for noob home defense. Handgun is easier to maneuver in close quarters for noob, and you can hold it while dialing the cops, or turning on the lights.

Completely one-hundred percent incorrect.

Twenty gauge Mossy 18" barrel pisrol grip.

wm_9909143.jpg

Last edited:
Back