Most effective combinations

simplest yet one of the best is jab to body followed by right to head and KO

Left jab setup to inside leg kick and hard right cross or hook to the ribs.
Left hook to the body and elbow
Classic 1-2 combo

(Slight) knee raise to 1-2 or knee raise to teep then low kick.

@rmongler's observation on combos is something I didn't really understand until I started boxing in my mid 30s. Prior to boxing I learned a ton of combos in TKD and kickboxing along with some of the reasons for using them and why they work, but what I didn't learn until I was about a year into boxing is that you need to observe the opponent and figure out his reactions & patterns to really make the combos count and get the snowball effect where you land more & more until he's overwhelmed.

Nong-O is probably my favourite fighter when it comes to figuring out patterns & reactions then landing free hits and eventually taking the opponent apart.
Here he shows how to land free body kicks on someone no matter how he tries to defend. One of the sequences is a throwaway punch combo at the head to push the guy back and get him to cover his head, followed by a round kick to the open body.

Then there's one of the most vicious calculated finishing sequences I've seen in a long time. Almost every strike opens up something that he hits with the next strike, and every sequence opens up new targets for the next sequence. Chop the legs, go to the head, bang the body, back to the head, overhand rights to make him duck, uppercuts to straighten him back up, and finished with a combo to the kidney.

Thanks for the well thought out and informative post. That fake teep works great, you can combine it with anything. Overusing it leaves you susceptible to sweeps. I see you watch nong o alot. You may already notice the fakes with jabs or slight body movement he utilizes well.

I’ve seen the jab, overhand, left high kick knock people out. I’ve never been able to land it though.

My favorite is dipping overhand to left hook. Lol. I’m not much of a combo guy. Pretty basic.

Another combo I like to watch people use is the left hook to the liver followed by overhand. And if you’re really slick then left hook to the head

2-3 jabs to the head then go to the body, follow up with a reverse/cross to the head

Another combo I like to watch people use is the left hook to the liver followed by overhand. And if you’re really slick then left hook to the head
one of my boxers was hammering his opponent with left hooks to the body. I notice the kid is dropping his arm to defend so I yell, “double left hook!” And my kid throws to the head and then to the body instead of the other way around like literally every other fighter in the god damn world.

it worked, he landed it and the fight was called off later that round but I still bust his balls about it from time to time

Double jab, cross, rear step forward while throwing left hook to head, pivot and right hook to body.
Wanna go for the sauce, finish with left headkick.

Best basic. Jab, cross, rear leg round kick.

Jab. Usually people step outside the jab, so I throw a lead, snap round house to the head as they step.

Jab to lead hook

Right cross when I'm being backed up, followed by either a jab or rear snap round house kick, depending.

1 - 2 - L body hook - R low kick

My coach's favorite combo haha

Inside low to high kick to spinning back fist to wheel kick to left hook to Superman jab followed by a rolling thunder

I’ve seen the jab, overhand, left high kick knock people out. I’ve never been able to land it though.

My favorite is dipping overhand to left hook. Lol. I’m not much of a combo guy. Pretty basic.

Give over hand to body hook a shot.

Some basic but effective combos we teach our noobs in the first year:

3b -3 - 2
2 - 3 - 2
6 - 2 - 3 - 2
3 - 2
1b - 3

It depends on the extremity, stance, style, cornering, distance and much more...

Left Jab
Straight Right
Left hook to the body (they'll usually lean left and lower their hands)
Right hook to the head

Pretty much my favorite combo

Some basic but effective combos we teach our noobs in the first year:

3b -3 - 2
2 - 3 - 2
6 - 2 - 3 - 2
3 - 2
1b - 3

1. Cool channel.

2. You look 40 years older than I thought you were and that "noob" looks like he has 3 times the experience you said he had.

I sparred on monday and this combo was successful every time:

Straight right to the body right uppercut to the head left cross (to the head) and right low kick.

I don't really have a specific combo that works for me...I just start with jabs and let the combos flow depending on my opponent's reaction.

Double Jab - Right Kick - skip to side - Right Kick - Oilcheck.

Back