Most submission wins by division

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I thought for sure Maia would be on the list

Edit it is Maia, he has 11 submission wins at WW in UFC. Not sure what Nelson is doing there

Pretty crazy that Gunnar Nelson has the most subs at WW. I've trained with him, he could EASILY fight at LW, but just doesn't believe in weight cutting and doesn't want to
Gunnar never bothered cutting weight nor did he ever want to leave Iceland to take training more seriously. He was a BJJ prodigy, at 21-22 he was defeating HW Black Belts in Open weight categories, made his MMA debut at 18, was a multiple time karate champion in Iceland. He was one of those guys, where if he found a gym like Mark Henry's where he got to work with dudes like Zabit, Barboza, Alvarez, Edgar, Almeida etc. And had a team of strong coaches to help him develop, actually do strength and conditioning and fucking cut to 155lbs he could have been a champion, maybe even a great one...

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I thought for sure Maia would be on the list

Edit it is Maia, he has 11 submission wins at WW in UFC. Not sure what Nelson is doing there

I thought it was Maia too and had to look it up. He went down to WW in 2012 so his total UFC sub count is pretty much split bewteen the two divisions.

Career-wise, Big Nog has 21 submission wins and Barnett has 19. Mir has 9. Limiting them to just UFC submission wins really paints a distorted picture.

When the record number of submissions for the division is 1 and it's not even by a submission fighter

<Dany07>

Also, cool that after all this time Mir is still at the top

<5>

Pretty crazy that Gunnar Nelson has the most subs at WW. I've trained with him, he could EASILY fight at LW, but just doesn't believe in weight cutting and doesn't want to

If only the rest of the sport (especially the commissions and orgs) shared his perspective on the matter...

Old man Glover holding it down I see

<smellit>

Meershart has caught a lot of MW’s slipping that’s for sure

Non-active Gunnar is also very impressive, but also a shame to the division as I figured it would be Maia or someone else

Charles having 2-classes under his belt is the king here

Shout out to Miller Bros. Jiu-jitsu
Maia was right behind Nelson with 6

the only omoplata toe hold submission in UFC history.

<5>

been saying for a while that Frank Mir is a top 5 fighter ever when it comes to MMA BJJ, dude subbed a lot of good fighters and had different subs, I do think offensively, Charles is the best BJJ guy the UFC has ever had, overall, it might be Werdum, he never got subbed and I don't remember his guard getting passed that often

Werdum is way better at BJJ than Mir. If you count his Pride/Strikeforce run he has more subs. He's also far more defensively sound than Mir.

Werdum is way better at BJJ than Mir. If you count his Pride/Strikeforce run he has more subs. He's also far more defensively sound than Mir.
I would say Werdum is number 1 ever in terms of MMA BJJ, but Mir is top 5

This is the type of stats they should put on the backs of the UFC trading cards, not some lame short write up.

Back