Social Move over Latinx, make way for LATINE (La-TEEN-eh)

For the hell of it I just asked my Mexican friend if he's latine and he asked if that's some kind of smart ass racial slur.

Update: after talking to him more and explaining what it meant he responded by saying he'd honestly rather be called a certain Hispanic racial slur that I probably can't type here.
I'm South American and I rather be called a Sp** over LantinX or Larine.

Best part is these progressive losers making up these names are either white Americans or US born Hispanics with very little actual Hispanic culture other than eating rice and beans at home.

That will work fine for Chinesee and Japanesee too.

Or Asiane, Europeane

I am glad people spend a lot of heir time coming up with shit like this.
Because we really.. really... really need it.

"surging in popularity"

lol wtf??

Who chronicles the rise and fall of these made up words?

It's probably only "surging" in popularity in relative terms. As in, they're finally having to admit that absolutely fucking nobody is using "latinx", but at least they're having better luck getting some progres down here in Latin America to use words like "latine" and "todes" and "amiges".

Because as stupid as they may sound, a native Spanish speaker can at least actually pronounce them.

The funniest thing about the whole latinx debacle is that in trying so hard to be inclusive gender-wise, they ended up being so incredibly and obliviously racist at the same time.

Nothing screams white privilege and colonialist mentality like inventing a word in English (because that shit is an English word, right down to being pronounced different that how it is spelled) and trying to force the entire Spanish-speaking world to use it because you know better than them how they should be speaking their language.

Latin refers to actual latins of 2000 years ago.

Before Napoleon, Latin America used to be called "Spanish America" which sort of made sense. Napo started and popularized the term "Latin America" in order to diminish Spain's influence. He succeeded.

Dude, no.

It wasn't Napoleon, the French started doing that a whole generation after him, in the 1860s during the time of Napoleon III.

And they didn't do it to undermine the Spanish, they did it undermine the British and the US and replace their influence with their own, by fostering a common cultural identity between the "Latin peoples", i.e. everyone who spoke Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc.) in opposition to "the Anglo-Saxons".

That's why Latin America includes Brazil, and not just the former Spanish colonies, and why while all Hispanics are Latinos, not all Latinos are Hispanics.

Personally, I've always thought that the term Ibero-America would be more precise, but Latin America is too well rooted.

Last edited:
It's probably only "surging" in popularity in relative terms. As in, they're finally having to admit that absolutely fucking nobody is using "latinx", but at least they're having better luck getting some progres down here in Latin America to use words like "latine" and "todes" and "amiges".

Because as stupid as they may sound, a native Spanish speaker can at least actually pronounce them.

The funniest thing about the whole latinx debacle is that in trying so hard to be inclusive gender-wise, they ended up being so incredibly and obliviously racist at the same time.

Nothing screams white privilege and colonialist mentality like like inventing a word in English (because that shit is an English word, right down to being pronounced different that how it is spelled) and trying to force the entire Spanish-speaking world to use it because you know better than them how they should be speaking their language.

Dude, no.

It wasn't Napoleon, the French started doing that a whole generation after him, in the 1860s during the time of Napoleon III.

And they didn't do it to undermine the Spanish, they did it undermine the British and the US and replace their influence with their own, by fostering a common cultural identity between the "Latin peoples", i.e. everyone who spoke Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc.) in opposition to "the Anglo-Saxons".

That's why Latin America includes Brazil, and not just the former Spanish colonies, and why while all Hispanics are Latinos, not all Latinos are Hispanics.

Personally, I've always thought that the term Ibero-America would be more precise, but Latin America is too well rooted.
Napo the 3? could be.

Mang, I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, and you extecpa me to remember which one of the Napos invented "Latin America"?..

I honestly don’t understand why the English speaking world feels like they need to opine on this. Are any Spanish speaking countries even doing this or is this just some weirdo American thing? Because every time I see it it’s Americans talking about it

I honestly don’t understand why the English speaking world feels like they need to opine on this. Are any Spanish speaking countries even doing this or is this just some weirdo American thing? Because every time I see it it’s Americans talking about it
Progressives love newspeak.

Worlds like Colombian, Brazilian, or Mexican are icky to them, because they associate them with drugs, murder and diarrhea.

It's the retarded white (female) nonbinary uber liberal crowd.

Pretty fucking presumptuous to tell Latinos how to refer to themselves. Spanish is an inherently gendered language. So is a lot of Asian languages and others as well. Are they going to try to change how the whole world talks?

I love the intro to the article. Basically says it is only being used by progressive losers. Later says only 41% of Latinos are “comfortable “ with it. Not that they use it or would start to use it, but not even half are comfortable me with it.

"Latine," a gender-neutral way to describe or refer to people with Latino origins, is surging in popularity on university campuses, in museums, and among researchers and media.

Notice how they don’t mention actual Latinos are using it

Why wouldn’t they just use LATIN?

and in bosnia "latine" is female gender plural

I live in a largely Hispanic community/city, and I have never once heard anyone refer to themselves (or any other Hispanic) as Latinx, let alone Latine.

Is pronounced Latin-X or La-Tinks?

One sounds kinda bad ass but the other is a little light in the loafers.

I love the intro to the article. Basically says it is only being used by progressive losers. Later says only 41% of Latinos are “comfortable “ with it. Not that they use it or would start to use it, but not even half are comfortable me with it.

"Latine," a gender-neutral way to describe or refer to people with Latino origins, is surging in popularity on university campuses, in museums, and among researchers and media.

In my personal experience with actual Latinos, they will brush this off as just another gringo excentricity.

Also wondering what our resident woke activists will invent to redirect the attention away from this idiocy. Probably something like "rebublicans are so easily triggered".

Is pronounced Latin-X or La-Tinks?

One sounds kinda bad ass but the other is a little light in the loafers.
Tbh, I don't know.

I reads like the latter, but you're right. The first one sounds pretty cool - like a Mexican's origin story.

On a side note, whenever I hear "light in the loafers," I think of this scene in Philadelphia.

Back