Movies Movie iconic characters that you wonder if played by another actor.

Slightly off, but always felt the two bad guys (Gaston and his minion) in the live action Disney beauty and the beast were "discount" Orlando Bloom and Jack Black.

I've always thought of Hugh playing Wolverine to be on par with pick Vin Diesel for Hitman because he bald. Jackman has sideburns/ Wolverine has side burns = casting closed.

I am not mentally capable of envisioning Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine. A huge flaw with me is the running gag that Wolverine is short guy and Hugh is 6'3.

Americans know him best as Mr Smee or hanging around with Roger Rabbit. Apparently, he has played a number of gangsters and hard-nosed cops over the years and that's what Claremont had in mind. Angela Bassett was his Storm.
I actually think he would have been awesome as Wolverine. He's the perfect build for the role and always had a quiet intensity on-screen that could turn into rage in an instant. I can just imagine his guttural roar as he slices and dices

I want to see Wolverine portrayed comic book accurate. He's not supposed to be a tall Hollywood hunk, he's supposed to be short and ugly. He's an underdog character and his name is meant to reflect how similar he is to the animal, which is also small and fights above it's weight class.

Bob Hopkins was too old to play the character by the time the first X-Men came out but if they had made it 20 years earlier he would've been great.

Jason Patric as Jim Morrison in The Doors
Charles Bronson as Snake Plissken in Escape From New York
Jack Nicholson as Michael Corleone in The Godfather
Clint Eastwood as Willard in Apocalypse Now
Sean Connery as Sybok in Star Trek V

I want to see Wolverine portrayed comic book accurate. He's not supposed to be a tall Hollywood hunk, he's supposed to be short and ugly. He's an underdog character and his name is meant to reflect how similar he is to the animal, which is also small and fights above it's weight class.

Bob Hopkins was too old to play the character by the time the first X-Men came out but if they had made it 20 years earlier he would've been great.
Bob could've been a good wolverine if he were around the age he was in Roger rabbit, and of course he'd have to roid up for about a year and get that comic book physique.

Chris Claremont has gone on record multiple times saying that, when he and Richard Donner talked about it circa 1990, his top pick was Bob Hoskins. Needless to say, Donner had other ideas.
They could have given Bob Hugh's vitamins.

Jason Patric as Jim Morrison in The Doors
Charles Bronson as Snake Plissken in Escape From New York
Jack Nicholson as Michael Corleone in The Godfather
Clint Eastwood as Willard in Apocalypse Now
Sean Connery as Sybok in Star Trek V

Very cool choices.

Were these actors considered for these parts?

I've always thought of Hugh playing Wolverine to be on par with pick Vin Diesel for Hitman because he bald. Jackman has sideburns/ Wolverine has side burns = casting closed.

I am not mentally capable of envisioning Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine. A huge flaw with me is the running gag that Wolverine is short guy and Hugh is 6'3.

I think Tom hardy would’ve been good.
More parallel with the Claremont/Miller version I grew up with as a kid.
images

images

In spite of Hugh portraying Logan great, I still don’t appreciate it as much as should because what I’m used too in the comic book.

Back