Movies that succeed without the 3 act format.

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
If you ever studied film or writing, you will inevitably have heard of the 3 act format.
(Theatre uses 2 act format, remarkably similar though)

Set up conflict
Raise stakes
Cast doubt
Overcome bullshit with plot armor
Fuckin happily ever after or whatever

Knowing this, can imo, ruin films.

"OK it's act 2 and everyone is happy, here comes the part where they have some stupid fight before they make up, or the lead good guy gets humbled before winning the final fight."

As such, I tip my hat to the films that carve their own path and MAKE IT WORK.

(Point of thread)

Just watched "Everybody Want Some"

I wanted something light hearted that wouldn't matter if i fell asleep or didn't watch straight thru, and it was perfect in that regard.

The film has ALMOST no plot.

Kids go to college and do college shit.

But it worked.

Got me thinking what other films have bucked the formula and gone rogue and made it work?

Fear and Loathing in LV

Maybe some indy stuff like Harmony Korinne ??

Kids? Gummo? Spring Breakers

(Actually I think spring breakers might fit in 3 act format, doubt it for the other 2...)

Brown Bunny?

Dazed and Confused ? I think ...maybe.

Can you think of others?
Or any directors who thrive OUTSIDE this box?

Are there other formats?
A map for roads less traveled if you will....

Why "Everybody Want Some" works:

(Without 3 act format)

-- Interesting characters and dialogue

The characters have unique and distinct personalities.

-- Captures elements which naturally occur in social situations.

Some scenes seem like they had a LOT of improv and might have had a "script" saying:

"Bust eachother's balls and make dick jokes"

- FUN

Simple but crucial for a non traditional scene or story to thrive. If the characters are having fun &/or placed in interesting circumstances, then the viewer is more prone to accept not being held by the hand thru a series of plot points

Last edited:
Pulp fiction is the most obvious example I think. Crazy successful. Unorthodox vignette structure.

Memento is another example, where the act breaks would work in either direction, and the character isn't growing learning or adapting from the experiences he's had because he doesn't know what's happened.

Last edited:
Tbh the "heroes journey" and the predictability of this formula is the biggest problem with movies. Whenever the characters are happy and you are getting to know them you already know conflict is coming and somethings going to go wrong. If you watch hundreds of movies while their story and quality vary they are all the same story.

The issue isn't that one can't succeed outside this formula its thats its all filmmakers know.

Ive been adament on here the movie should have died 80 years ago and was designed for a time before cable tv and is only surviving because of tradition and because the glitz and glamour of the big screen has been put on a cultural pedestal that really has no reason to exist. Almost every great movie would have been a greater TV show. The movie is a scam where both the consumer and studio spends years on an OCD edited 2 hours worth of content. Its a bulljive industry.

Last edited:
Goodfellas?

It did have some conflict and resolution, but the overall theme of the movie is generally just showing a day in the life of the mob.

First thing I can think of is the wild ass films Pasolini made. Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma is amazing.

Wouldn't call them very succesful though, but Pasolini (at least here) is very well known and studied even in school.

The Rules of Attraction (2002) comes to mind, and it's probably one of the reasons it was so poorly received. Not a good idea to cast pop tv stars and go a bit avante.

I'll have to think on it for others.

If you ever studied film or writing, you will inevitably have heard of the 3 act format.

Set up conflict
Raise stakes
Cast doubt

"OK it's act 2 and everyone is happy, here comes the part where they have some stupid fight before they make up, or the lead good guy gets humbled before winning the final fight."

(Point of thread)

I wanted something light hearted that wouldn't matter if i fell asleep or didn't watch straight thru, and it was perfect in that regard.

But it worked.

Got me thinking what other films have bucked the formula and gone rogue and made it work?

Fear and Loathing in LV

(Actually I think spring breakers might fit in 3 act format, doubt it for the other 2...)

Brown Bunny?

Can you think of others?

Are there other formats?

(Without 3 act format)

Some scenes seem like they had a LOT of improv and might have had a "script" saying:

- FUN

Simple but crucial for a non traditional scene or story to thrive. If the characters are having fun &/or placed in interesting circumstances, then the viewer is more prone to accept not being held by the hand thru a series of plot points

My list was like Friday, Money Talks, Beverly Hills Cop, Tommy Boy, Boyz N the Hood, Goodfellas shit like that.

He made faces at my list.

Tbh the "heroes journey" and the predictability of this formula is the biggest problem with movies. Whenever the characters are happy and you are getting to know them you already know conflict is coming and somethings going to go wrong. If you watch hundreds of movies while their story and quality vary they are all the same story.

The issue isn't that one can't succeed outside this formula its thats its all filmmakers know.

Ive been adament on here the movie should have died 80 years ago and was designed for a time before cable tv and is only surviving because of tradition and because the glitz and glamour of the big screen has been put on a cultural pedestal that really has no reason to exist. Almost every great movie would have been a greater TV show. The movie is a scam where both the consumer and studio spends years on an OCD edited 2 hours worth of content. Its a bulljive industry.
For the most part, I am in agreement here. I would 100% rather watch a 6/8/10 episode miniseries than a standalone move. A quality series is even better.

The chances I ever step foot in a movie theater again are ridiculously slim.

For the most part, I am in agreement here. I would 100% rather watch a 6/8/10 episode miniseries than a standalone move. A quality series is even better.

The chances I ever step foot in a movie theater again are ridiculously slim.

That switch in theory should have happened generations ago.

Do you know people used to watch their news in the theater? And then decided we're going to watch on it on the TV instead. For various cultural reasons that did not happen with movies. It kind of fascinates me tbh.

What about 1917? The war movie where it was shot as one continuous scene? Did that break the mould? Great film either way

Set up conflict
Raise stakes
Cast doubt

(Point of thread)

But it worked.

Fear and Loathing in LV

Brown Bunny?

Can you think of others?

Are there other formats?

(Without 3 act format)

- FUN

Goodfellas?

It did have some conflict and resolution, but the overall theme of the movie is generally just showing a day in the life of the mob.

More like 30 years in the life.

Requiem for a dream seemed to do this formula in reverse.
Requiem is like a beautiful slow motion car crash.

You see everything unraveling into inevitable disaster but the characters can't do anything but make things worse for themselves.

Back