MT: Traveling to different gyms and training

Bme26

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was curious since it seems to be fairly common within the BJJ community, but I haven't heard much about it with Muay Thai. Soon, I'll be having a week off and was thinking about driving up to Vegas and training while I'm there. Do gyms typically allow guys to come in for just a week? Anyone have any experience doing this aside from going to Thailand? I imagine it might be a little difficult since each gym has its own system that you have to get used to, so I'm also questioning how beneficial something like this could be outside of just receiving a good cardio workout. Appreciate any info.

Did that before in Cali and Las Vegas. It's ok, might just be a change of scenery. If you can get privates, definitely go for them.. If you plan on boozing every night, might not be a good idea though.

I get called a gym slut... there are 3 or 4 gyms (including my own) that I train at on a regular basis. Nobody minds, really.

It's fine, you can usually work something out with management pretty easily. Have fun!

Did that before in Cali and Las Vegas. It's ok, might just be a change of scenery. If you can get privates, definitely go for them.. If you plan on boozing every night, might not be a good idea though.

Ya I was basically thinking of it as a change of scenery. Privates would be cool too, but I figured the price would be a lot more reasonable if I could just take the regular classes. I've only been training for a year so I'm not some seasoned guy either. I'm just curious if it would be worth it.

I get called a gym slut... there are 3 or 4 gyms (including my own) that I train at on a regular basis. Nobody minds, really.

How do you go about negotiating rates? I'd imagine a lot of gyms would probably charge a monthly rate for one week of training, especially in a place like Vegas. Though, if it does work out, this could be a reoccurring thing for me because Vegas isn't that far a drive from where I live.

How do you go about negotiating rates? I'd imagine a lot of gyms would probably charge a monthly rate for one week of training, especially in a place like Vegas. Though, if it does work out, this could be a reoccurring thing for me because Vegas isn't that far a drive from where I live.

I pay what I'm asked. A couple gyms don't charge me, one charges a $10 or $15 casual session.

I usually e-mail the gym beforehand to explain my intentions and confirm that it is ok to drop in for some sessions. It is more polite than just showing up.

damn 4 different gyms thats like $700 a month in training.

I want to do the same but can't justify paying that much for mma, bjj, muay thai, and weight lifting.

I think this is a good thing to do. But what motivates you to do it? for more sparringspartners? or do you get more benefits out of doing this type of cross training?

Where are you planning on training in Vegas? I'm heading that way in a few weeks. The only Muay Thai gyms I know of there are Toddy's and One Kick's. They any good?

Back