Muay Thai Gloves

curlyface

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death. I've personally done a lot of research and these boards have been extremely helpful. I've just recently started training Muay Thai and have been using a friends old beat up boxing gloves. I've decided I'm going to stick with the sport and get my own. Among my peers at the gym, there is a wide variation of gloves in use. What I can't decide between is bag gloves and 'normal' (i.e. 10oz-16oz gloves). I'm leaning toward bag gloves as I won't be sparring for at least 6 months, and when I start sparring I'm ok with buying another pair of gloves.Right now in class we mostly do pad work. I'm also leaning toward bag gloves as they seem to be closer to real life, and I don't really plan on fighting professionally - this is mostly for self defense. I chose Fairtex because from my research I've found they are tighter and I have small hands, also they have great wrist support. I've narrowed it down to the below gloves. FWIW as of right now I'm leaning mostly toward the cross trainer gloves. Please help!

Fairtex BGV1 12oz (or 10?)

TGT7 Fairtex Cross Trainer Bag Gloves
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151392739689?var=450573571120

FAIRTEX TGO3 Open Thumb Bag Gloves
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151393570071?var=450574606476

Sorry the formatting is all weird, not sure how to fix it..

Thank you

Last edited:
Don't get bag gloves for pad work and possibly drilling, especially the open thumb design. If you want a smaller more compact glove, I would recommend going with a 10 or 12oz Fairtex BGV1 for bags, pads, and drilling.

Don't get bag gloves for pad work and possibly drilling, especially the open thumb design. If you want a smaller more compact glove, I would recommend going with a 10 or 12oz Fairtex BGV1 for bags, pads, and drilling.
Why do you recommend not getting bag gloves for pad work? It seems to be the opposite in many places I've read. Do the cross trainer gloves count as bag gloves?

These type of bag gloves are typically too small to comfortably wear hand wraps, forcing you to go without them during training. Couple this with the minimal padding on these types of gloves, and you potentially run into a lot of discomfort during longer training sessions. I own a similar pair by Boon and I cannot throw hard shots for an extended period of time while wearing them.

One of the benefits to hitting a heavy bag is building power. You do not want to hinder your progress because your hands are hurting, forcing you to not be able to continue. The model DC mentioned is a good compromise, as it's smaller like the bag glove, but has better padding and is specifically designed for Muay Thai.

Don't over complicate things. Get those red fairtex bgv1 gloves in 12-14oz and be done with it.

I have thosnesamengloves in yellow and they have been awesome.

Ryyonvin hit on all the reasons why bag gloves are less than ideal. Get the BGV1s, and your hands and thumbs will thank you.

If money is at all an issue, just get 16oz Fairtex sparring gloves. You can still use them for pad/bag work. Since they're Fairtex, they are not going to break down next week. If you have the money, then just get 16oz sparring and 10-14oz (also) sparring gloves. I agree with the guy who said you don't want to waste money on the no-padding bag gloves.

Thank you for the advice. I'll go with 12oz fairtex gloves. BGV1 or BGV9 for short arms/smaller hands?

I know you are looking at Fairtex which are some great gloves, however I recently started using twins on the recommendation of people and they are superb.

I only use them for Pads, bag, drills, however they are maybe the most durable I have ever had.

Back