Muay Thai Gym Q&A

I just did a little write up on a modest gym with great trainers..

View it here: 96 Penang Gym

I've been here for around 5 years now so if any of you guys have any questions about training in Thailand, good gyms etc.. don't hesitate to ask.

I'll be going back there in two weeks.

I just did a little write up on a modest gym with great trainers..

View it here: 96 Penang Gym

I've been here for around 5 years now so if any of you guys have any questions about training in Thailand, good gyms etc.. don't hesitate to ask.

Nice review, the concrete floor looks nuts to train on.

Nice review, the concrete floor looks nuts to train on.

The floor is rubberized. I'm not sure how they did it but it actually felt pretty comfortable to train on. The only problem with it is that the color rubs off and the bottom of my feet were black for a few days after. Took a while to wash off.
Good training though, def. worth checking out.

where do you guys fit in private sessions? in place of group sessions or after/before?

where do you guys fit in private sessions? in place of group sessions or after/before?

Personally I prefer training at gyms that don't have many foreigners so there's really no need to pay separately for private sessions. I don't even think the gyms I train at would be familiar with the concept.

If you're not learning technique and getting enough pad time etc. during the scheduled training sessions, you're probably not at the right gym anyway.

I could see it beneficial for some purposes though. For example, if for some reason you couldn't make it to the scheduled training or if you wanted to work on something very specific.

Next time I'm in Phuket I plan on getting my first private session, but that's because I want to learn how to hold pads from Yod at Tiger Muay Thai specifically.

I watched a clip of him training GSP at Tristar and he looked like an amazing pad holder. Being in Thailand so long I've never actually had to hold pads for anyone so it's something I want to learn.

Personally I prefer training at gyms that don't have many foreigners so there's really no need to pay separately for private sessions. I don't even think the gyms I train at would be familiar with the concept.

If you're not learning technique and getting enough pad time etc. during the scheduled training sessions, you're probably not at the right gym anyway.

I could see it beneficial for some purposes though. For example, if for some reason you couldn't make it to the scheduled training or if you wanted to work on something very specific.

I will be taking a short 30 minute private everyday with one of the coaches at 96 Penang, I have some specific things I want to work on. Then I'll do the normal training session after.

Next time I'm in Phuket I plan on getting my first private session, but that's because I want to learn how to hold pads from Yod at Tiger Muay Thai specifically.

Make sure you learn how to do that double pad spinning trick.

What's a gym in BKK with not too many foreigners that also has good boxing along with the usual stuff (focus on clinch, kicks, etc)

Personally I prefer training at gyms that don't have many foreigners so there's really no need to pay separately for private sessions.

Initially i wasn't planning doing privates but i'm a beginner and i'm only going for 1 month, until i read this on your website on the PBG review:

"admin on March 24th, 2009 1:37 am

Hey *****,
Your individual skill level doesn

Speaking of private sessions, isn't the pad rounds like one? Or do they go into more detail if you pay extra for one?

Nah. 3-5 rounds of padwork each session is a part of the normal training on all serious gyms.

Private training will focus on your technique. fixing bad habits, sharpening what tools that work for you, ect ect.

Ok so I tried to read all 57 pages, but gave up because I was tired of reading posts bashing others etc. Anyways, if I were to go to Thailand for the first time, would it be advisable to just go and sign up for a gym when I get there? I really want to go see some fights at Lumpinee and Rajadamnern, should I then try to stay and train in Bangkok? Is it hard to train at one place for a month and then leave and go search for a different gym? I figure for the first month or two I would try to train in Bangkok, if I find a good gym, then maybe try to go find a more rural gym. Let me know if anyone has done this or if it is really tough to get into a rural, more traditional, gym.

Nah. 3-5 rounds of padwork each session is a part of the normal training on all serious gyms.

Private training will focus on your technique. fixing bad habits, sharpening what tools that work for you, ect ect.

Thanks for the info, I might throw some privates into my week.

Ok so I tried to read all 57 pages, but gave up because I was tired of reading posts bashing others etc. Anyways, if I were to go to Thailand for the first time, would it be advisable to just go and sign up for a gym when I get there? I really want to go see some fights at Lumpinee and Rajadamnern, should I then try to stay and train in Bangkok? Is it hard to train at one place for a month and then leave and go search for a different gym? I figure for the first month or two I would try to train in Bangkok, if I find a good gym, then maybe try to go find a more rural gym. Let me know if anyone has done this or if it is really tough to get into a rural, more traditional, gym.

Fight Passport's where to train in Thailand Guide

You should do your research first, pick a location, and pick a few gyms you want to go to, then try them out for a day before signing a week/month for a discount. Thailand Muay Thai Gym Reviews

For example for my 3 month trip in summer, I plan to hit Bangkok first (Fighting Spirit Gym/Elite Fight Club Bangkok/Chacrit are beginner friendly so I'm going to try those first) for a month since I love cities and there are lots of things that would interest me there.

Next will be Phuket for a month since they have an entire tourist fight industry down there and can match me better if I feel ready to fight. (I have 3 gyms on mind). After that it's a vacation for me and I'll be hitting up Chiang Mai, Kanchuburi and misc. places.

Last edited:
Cali posted some great info on Muay Thai Gyms in Thailand. I'm in Chiang Mai, Thailand right now doing a 6 month Muay Thai camp if anyone has any questions.

I started about 4 years ago and have been coming back to Thailand every year since to do 3-6 month Muay Thai camps. I still consider myself an intermediate but I've had five fights so far and have trained in Phuket, Koh Lanta, Koh Tao, Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

If you scroll back through the archives of my blog there is a lot of information on there about what to pack, when to come to thailand, what the best gym is for different goals and personality types, how much my monthly budget was and reviews of different muay thai schools. I trained at a lot of the big Muay Thai/MMA schools such as Tiger Muay Thai and Phuket Top Team, as well as some of the smaller traditional Muay Thai schools. Check out the blog, it'll help you plan your trip:

www.MyFightCamp.com

The best advice I can give you is, it'll never be the perfect time to come to Thailand to train. You'll always be lacking either Time, Money or Both. If it's something that you are truly passionate about, make it happen asap. I know that for me, I had a million excuses why I shouldn't come out for 3 months, but the minute I landed, I knew I made the right choice to follow my heart.

Make sure you learn how to do that double pad spinning trick.

What's a gym in BKK with not too many foreigners that also has good boxing along with the usual stuff (focus on clinch, kicks, etc)

For an emphasis on boxing, you can look into "Top Rated Gym"..
Chuwattana I've heard emphasizes boxing quite a lot a well..
Also, Meenayothin has a good boxing trainer there that trains Wanheng (currently 26-0)

Question for those more familiar with Thai culture: is it weird for normal Thais to like Muay Thai? Aside from those affiliated with muay thai gyms... All the Thai's I've met are not into muay thai or know much about it.

I was talking to a Thai girl (from Bangkok in LA) and she mentioned Samart. I asked if she followed him on facebook and she said her friends would be scared of her if she did... Didn't really get that.

Cali posted some great info on Muay Thai Gyms in Thailand. I'm in Chiang Mai, Thailand right now doing a 6 month Muay Thai camp if anyone has any questions.

I started about 4 years ago and have been coming back to Thailand every year since to do 3-6 month Muay Thai camps. I still consider myself an intermediate but I've had five fights so far and have trained in Phuket, Koh Lanta, Koh Tao, Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

If you scroll back through the archives of my blog there is a lot of information on there about what to pack, when to come to thailand, what the best gym is for different goals and personality types, how much my monthly budget was and reviews of different muay thai schools. I trained at a lot of the big Muay Thai/MMA schools such as Tiger Muay Thai and Phuket Top Team, as well as some of the smaller traditional Muay Thai schools. Check out the blog, it'll help you plan your trip:

www.MyFightCamp.com

The best advice I can give you is, it'll never be the perfect time to come to Thailand to train. You'll always be lacking either Time, Money or Both. If it's something that you are truly passionate about, make it happen asap. I know that for me, I had a million excuses why I shouldn't come out for 3 months, but the minute I landed, I knew I made the right choice to follow my heart.

Thanks for the post, useful info. Ill definitely check out your blog

Question for those more familiar with Thai culture: is it weird for normal Thais to like Muay Thai? Aside from those affiliated with muay thai gyms... All the Thai's I've met are not into muay thai or know much about it.

I was talking to a Thai girl (from Bangkok in LA) and she mentioned Samart. I asked if she followed him on facebook and she said her friends would be scared of her if she did... Didn't really get that.

It isn't a common sport for middle class Bangkok Thai's to follow.

If they did follow it, would it be looked down upon? Would people think they're thugs?

That doesn't make sense.

Maybe she meant her friends would be scared of her if she took up Muay Thai?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back