Multiple Job Offers Advice

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok, guys, so if you don't know me, I'm a sophomore in college trying to be either a stock broker or a data analyst. I don't really have much job experience and I can't afford to take an unpaid internship just yet. So right now, I'm supposed to start working at a cafeteria as a pot washer on Monday. I don't want to, but I need money and I left on good terms when I used to work there so I'm pretty friendly with everyone. I was just tired of applying over and over and never even having people tell me that I didn't get the job.

Well now, it turns out that this job I applied at a couple of days ago for an intramural flag football official emailed me and training is on the Monday after I'm supposed to start working at Bruce. They're both evening jobs, so I can't exactly do both. And another thing is, the referee job said that they would only consider me for the job after training, but it's paid training? Seems like I would already have the job if they're willing to pay me for training, but I don't know.

My main concern is that I don't want to be 30 years old and still working at this cafeteria. Hell, if it comes to that, I'll probably just quit and go into the oil field and work there. I swear it seems like the people who get these kinds of minimum wage jobs never end up leaving. I want to make money with my degree when I graduate, or else this hellish experience and drowning myself in debt will just seem like it wasn't even worth it to go. I'm trying to get good job experience, and being a flag football referee doesn't seem like much, but it has to be a step up from washing pots, right?

Take the flag football referee. Also you are on the right path, building experience and networking. Too many kids in college nowadays think there is a 6 figures job waiting for them when they graduate.

Aspire to be a male order bride. That is a very popular line of work.

I would take the sure thing for now. There must not be a lot of jobs where you live. Have you considered relocating in the near future?

I would take the sure thing for now. There must not be a lot of jobs where you live. Have you considered relocating in the near future?

Well, there's actually a lot of jobs. I live on a college campus. The problem is, I'm not the only one looking for a job. I swear, one job I applied for had 1 position and 400 applicants. It was a weight room supervisor position. Another job got filled the day I applied.

Well, there's actually a lot of jobs. I live on a college campus. The problem is, I'm not the only one looking for a job. I swear, one job I applied for had 1 position and 400 applicants. It was a weight room supervisor position. Another job got filled the day I applied.

I was including that kind of situation as well. It's just as bad as having no jobs in the area. The person that got hired probably had 2-4 years of experience in that area. I live in New York and it's extremely competitive. I am seriously considering leaving once I graduate in May.

Take the flag football referee. Also you are on the right path, building experience and networking. Too many kids in college nowadays think there is a 6 figures job waiting for them when they graduate.

Well, okay. If I do that, should I just come in to the other job and say "hey, I'm not going to come in Monday after all?". I'd hate to burn a bridge like that, especially since I've been using the supervisor as a reference.

Stock broker
Data analyst
Pot washer
Referee

Pretty hodge podge group of jobs

I would take the flag football job. It's something where the responsibility may not really be much, but you can use what you do there in job interviews later in life. Position of authority, conflict resolution, stressfull situations, etc.

Stock broker
Data analyst
Pot washer
Referee

Pretty hodge podge group of jobs

It gets worse. I used to stock groceries at Wal-Mart. I also worked at McDonald's for a little bit, but I'm not even listing it on my resume.

Well, okay. If I do that, should I just come in to the other job and say "hey, I'm not going to come in Monday after all?". I'd hate to burn a bridge like that, especially since I've been using the supervisor as a reference.

Be honest with him. That's the best wat to avoid burning bridges. See if maybe you could work there the odd shift to help untill they find someone else.

I would take the flag football job. It's something where the responsibility may not really be much, but you can use what you do there in job interviews later in life. Position of authority, conflict resolution, stressfull situations, etc.

So what do I do about the pot washing position? I'm supposed to come in on Monday. Do I just tell them "hey, don't put me on the schedule after all"?

EDIT: Never mind

If the pay is the same work as a referee. Fuck food service.

Flag football ref sounds like a fun job, but I'm sure it's only part time because no one plays flag football 7 days a week.

I think you need a finance degree to be a broker. Good luck.

Yeah, I still haven't decided what my major is going to be. Information Systems sounds like the safe option. Data Analysts are supposedly in high demand. But being a stock broker sounds like what I really want to do.

Flag football ref sounds like a fun job, but I'm sure it's only part time because no one plays flag football 7 days a week.

Yeah, sorry. Forgot to mention both jobs are part time.

If the pay is the same work as a referee. Fuck food service.

It could be better. As in $2 better. Or they could offer me $7.25. I hope they offer me 10, but really it's more about the experience for me right now.

Pot Washer and Referee have to be the two most unattractive sounding jobs ever. You'll never hear someone say "Where did Cindy go? I think she went home with that Pot Washer/Referee".

This is a 3rd world problem in a 1st world country.

Back