My Aikido training log

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Day 1: I will visit the first Aikido dojo in my life today.

Initial expectations:

* Ponytails

* Even softer, more cooperative, and slower training than the demos used for marketing the art. I expect something even more watered down.

* little to no cardio

* Lecture on inner harmony

Did I miss anything?

Who the fuck is the mod that keeps dumping on us those grappling threads? You take him back to your side, he is your problem now. Aikido is a grappling art, no excuse whatsoever to move it back to us. You already gave us systema and Dan, but for this one, there is no excuse. If you dont want to deal with him, just ban him, otherwise keep him on your side... We had to deal so many years with him, his TKD phase, his boxing phase etc... Now its clearly your turn.
Is there an internal war between mods or something?

Who the fuck is the mod that keeps dumping on us those grappling threads? You take him back to your side, he is your problem now. Aikido is a grappling art, no excuse whatsoever to move it back to us. You already gave us systema and Dan, but for this one, there is no excuse. If you dont want to deal with him, just ban him, otherwise keep him on your side... We had to deal so many years with him, his TKD phase, his boxing phase etc... Now its clearly your turn.

Sherdog grappling-technique.12 mods hate Aikido discussions. They always move them to other forums

The dude is wrong. You are not allowed to break someones wrist with a joint lock in the UFC

In my selection of striking style quest, I reference MMA not because it's a be-all-end-all martial art form, but because it has a certain realism.

We never see Aikido in MMA. So why post these videos slamming it? Entertainment aspect of the forum, we can go along with that. But this is why I took up Judo for grappling. Clearly pragmatic, if not popular for MMA.

That's partly why I did it:D.
You started with TKD (which it's on my list to visit the neighborhood school close by but haven't been able to excite myself to); then boxing, now to Aikido?!?

Is this full circle to an unpopular art (to my knowledge), some dissatisfaction with leaving TKD for boxing? It's my understanding (albeit limited) that boxing and karate (TKD?) are antagonist styles of striking. Least I certainly get that impression from that local boxing club owner.

p.s. Nobody at my Judo dojo talks about Aikido, since I've been there.

The other reaction I get is that I really don't get excited about much of the striking presentations here on the forum. I feel there are some excellent boxing examples applicable to someone like me trying to settle on a style. It seems, however, the forum is largely populated by boxers (some great demos as I said).

OTOH, many of these sparring sessions and the latest fight thread aren't inspiring to me @ all. I've got a TKD school nearby, but frankly most of the online videos of TKD training is even less inspiring than what I'm seeing here on the forum. On TKD, I kinda have the same feeling as your video post about Aikido (but not as negative).

In any event, I'm convinced boxing is 100% practical, but other than that... it's hard for me to get a handle on striking styles here beyond boxing. There is probably more material in historic forum posts, but for instance, the recent thread talk about karate fighters in MMA veers off to all kinds of topics and is too wordy.

I think this is a great choice for you spacetime. When you are bragging about your boxing abilities you can fall back on you are too old to compete now(cowardly), to well informed to train at a gym( arrogant and uninformed), and finally too deadly to do the mmas because you donwrist locks and small joint manipulation that is impossible with the gloves but would instantly disable any grappler.
Maybe add in some military arts after that and you will be a delusional Superman

Also now you can answer the age old question “can you wrist lock a jacket?”

I think this is a great choice for you spacetime. When you are bragging about your boxing abilities you can fall back on you are too old to compete now(cowardly), to well informed to train at a gym( arrogant and uninformed), and finally too deadly to do the mmas because you donwrist locks and small joint manipulation that is impossible with the gloves but would instantly disable any grappler.
Maybe add in some military arts after that and you will be a delusional Superman

Also now you can answer the age old question “can you wrist lock a jacket?”

Yes, what an idiot I am for not wanting to get punched in the face for a living.

When you are bragging about your boxing abilities you can fall back on you are too old to compete now(cowardly)
Nothing in there is referencing “getting punched in the face for a living” you might misunderstand the phrase you used because you have never actually been in a gym or around people who do train.

Back