My bench press still sucks ( 4 years workout )

NinjaSpider

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Im 5'8 75kg and 39yo

So , most of my lifts are decent, that includes other chests exercises like dumbells and cables. My physique looks like i should bench about 220/230lb but im still stuck at 180lb 4 years in. I have a really long range of motion due to my "shape" but I dont think that explains all of it. I usually bench once a week but do other chest stuff other days.

Are there anyone on here that have similar experience that managed to figure it out ?

Maybe this helps, how i reached 225 bench, its probably not optimal but it worked for me:

I started benching 80 kg every workout. First time i did it i hit 3 reps. Sometimes i did 3 sets with 80 kg, sometimes i did reverse pyramid 80 first set, then 75, then 70. Sometimes i did 5 sets of bench, sometimes i did second exercise for chest atleast in the beginning(later i sticked to 3-5 sets of bench or dips). After i did shoulders and tris. I didnt have a certain routine but 2 things were always certain: i always trained and when i benched i always used 80 kg.I bench pressed atleast once per week. Sometimes i did once per week dips once per week bench.
After like 6 months or so i was getting 7 reps with the 80 kg.
Then i tried 90 kg. I hit 3 reps again first try. From that day i started bench with 90 kg , second set 85 and third set 80. Then when i got 5 reps reps with 90 i think i started doing 95 kg and when i got 5 reps with that i tried 225 and i hit 2 reps first time i tried it.

There is probably better ways to train but this worked for me. Its pretty straight forward atleast. 1 rep max calculator shows if you do 10 reps with 80 kg you can do 1x 225. Thats why i started hammering the 80 kg

I was in pretty good caloric surplus also, gained couple kg-s, and i did heavy training for shoulders and tris also. That maybe helped also

Last edited:
Explain what you’re doing now.
My first day in the gym I benched 95 (lbs) for 4 reps … I was 6’2 170 lbs.
Took me years to reach 225
Once I started benching 2-3 days per week and hammering dips, progress improved drastically.

Maybe this helps, how i reached 225 bench, its probably not optimal but it worked for me:

I started benching 80 kg every workout. First time i did it i hit 3 reps. Sometimes i did 3 sets with 80 kg, sometimes i did reverse pyramid 80 first set, then 75, then 70. Sometimes i did 5 sets of bench, sometimes i did second exercise for chest atleast in the beginning(later i sticked to 3-5 sets of bench or dips). After i did shoulders and tris. I didnt have a certain routine but 2 things were always certain: i always trained and when i benched i always used 80 kg.I bench pressed atleast once per week. Sometimes i did once per week dips once per week bench.
After like 6 months or so i was getting 7 reps with the 80 kg.
Then i tried 90 kg. I hit 3 reps again first try. From that day i started bench with 90 kg , second set 85 and third set 80. Then when i got 5 reps reps with 90 i think i started doing 95 kg and when i got 5 reps with that i tried 225 and i hit 2 reps first time i tried it.

There is probably better ways to train but this worked for me. Its pretty straight forward atleast. 1 rep max calculator shows if you do 10 reps with 80 kg you can do 1x 225. Thats why i started hammering the 80 kg

I was in pretty good caloric surplus also, gained couple kg-s, and i did heavy training for shoulders and tris also. That maybe helped also

Explain what you’re doing now.
My first day in the gym I benched 95 (lbs) for 4 reps … I was 6’2 170 lbs.
Took me years to reach 225
Once I started benching 2-3 days per week and hammering dips, progress improved drastically.

Ill try both. 80kg sets 3 times a week.

Some of us just have weak benches compared to other lifts. With that said, you can definitely make quite a bit of improvement from where your # is. Probably working on form and staying tight is most important.

I think you probably aren’t benching often enough to make progress, since you only
do it once a week. What’s your program like?

Can you post a video of your bench? or your current workout program? Also how is your setup? Where do you grip the bar?

Personally I was never a good bencher until a few years in. It didn't take off until I started a smolov jr program. I was benching so much that it allowed me to experiment in the beginning. I played around with hand positioning and leg drive until I found my optimal setup. For example middle finger on the ring was more suitable for me vs pinky on the ring.

If you are not seeing improvements benching 1x per week, you should increase your frequency to 2-3 times a week, depending on how long it takes to recover. Research instructional videos for technique improvements and implement them over time to see what works best for you.

Last edited:
Can you post a video of your bench? or your current workout program? Also how is your setup? Where do you grip the bar?

Personally I was never a good bencher until a few years in. It didn't take off until I started a smolov jr program. I was benching so much that it allowed me to experiment in the beginning. I played around with hand positioning and leg drive until I found my optimal setup. For example middle finger on the ring was more suitable for me vs pinky on the ring.

Ill post next time i bench :)
Also, my incline bench max is about the same as my flat bench max... wich is weird

Last edited:
My arm and chest from the side , i dont have any barechest pics

Attachments

• 20230209_134547.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230209_134451.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230209_153055_384.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 21
My arm and chest from the side , i dont have any barechest pics

From the looks i dont think you look like you can bench 225. Ive seen bigger guys then you fail. Im not saying you look weak, you look good and fit, but youre pretty short and dont weigh much. If I saw that guy on the pic benching 225 for reps id be impressed.
You also sayd you have long range of motion but youre 5 8. Do you have hands to your knees?

But this is all irrelevent. If you wanna build strength then you have to work with heavy weights, that will give your body the stimulus to grow stronger. The looks mean nothing

Ive seen smaller guy then you bench 130 kg also. But he was a powerlifter

Last edited:
From the looks i dont think you look like you can bench 225. Ive seen bigger guys then you fail. Im not saying you look weak, you look good and fit, but youre pretty short and dont weigh much. If I saw that guy on the pic benching 225 for reps id be impressed.
You also sayd you have long range of motion but youre 5 8. Do you have hands to your knees?

But this is all irrelevent. If you wanna build strength then you have to work with heavy weights, that will give your body the stimulus to grow stronger. The looks mean nothing

Ive seen smaller guy then you bench 130 kg also. But he was a powerlifter

im saying 220 1RM , not for reps.

also 220 is 110kg right ? i dont think i should be doing 130kg
im doing 90kg incline as well

Also , the whole point of this thread has been lost. Im looking for tips to increase my bench from people who have struggled with this lift themselves

How is your form? If your not sure You should record your form
I’d start from there tbh
Obviously you’re motivated, hitting your chest more than once a week and that should have got you to your goal of 225 already
You’re doing something wrong
I would bet it’s form, and have you tried going up 5 lbs a week?

How is your form? If your not sure You should record your form
I’d start from there tbh
Obviously you’re motivated, hitting your chest more than once a week and that should have got you to your goal of 225 already
You’re doing something wrong
I would bet it’s form, and have you tried going up 5 lbs a week?

Ill record it and post next chest day

Back