My BJJ in real life story...

you still got piss in your closet, therefore he wins

you were playing it actually pretty cool, alot of people would of just beat the shit out of the guy when they saw him pissing in their closet u atleast tried to kick him out before a physical altercation started(my hats of to you sir)

where in Miami were you that it was a slow night? In Miami with alcohol, persistence and a little BS just about anyone can get laid any night of the week.

You don't even need persistence or BS. Just look for the ones wearing glitter and with the sniffles.

so you don't believe in defending yourself when the person who's attacking doesn't know martial arts? i guess you like getting your ass kicked by random, tough guy jocks.

Ofcourse I would defend myself whats the point of taking up a martial arts. But at the same time are you going to fight all guys who power check you? Im sure you have some idea of guys you could take on and beat and others who probably kick your ass of give you a good match. That's all Im saying. Go to a club or any party where people are drunk your gonna get assholes. So if they piss you off or hurt your ego you gonna armbar him or choke him out?

Good story, except for the part where you went out to pick up chicks and ended up bringing home a guy.

This needs to be on an instructional DVD.

(Read with Brazilian accent):

"Now guys, I Gon' show you how to do Inside leg trip into the closet your opponent pissed in"

LOL

LOL.

I actually read this in my head with Renzo Gracie's voice haha.

Say if you ran your own company, or were high up in another company, and you were holding job interviews. some guy comes in for the job and he has on his resume, that he's a black/brown belt in jujitsu?

would that make you respect the guy more, because you're aware of how much effort and dedication that takes, or would that not matter at all. I only ask because I was in a job interview the other day and the guy picks up on the fact I do bjj, he said some shit like 'isn't that the ufc thing?' so i say yes, and the guy starts asking me all these crazy questions like could i kick his ass(didn't know what to say to that). he then pretty much offered me the job, i'm guessing he was abit of a fanboy, but the point is i can see how that would've gone the other way, how he might've thought i was some thug, because he doesn't know just how much effort and discipline it takes to get a black belt(i'm not a black belt by the way)

thoughts?

Say if you ran your own company, or were high up in another company, and you were holding job interviews. some guy comes in for the job and he has on his resume, that he's a black/brown belt in jujitsu?

would that make you respect the guy more, because you're aware of how much effort and dedication that takes, or would that not matter at all. I only ask because I was in a job interview the other day and the guy picks up on the fact I do bjj, he said some shit like 'isn't that the ufc thing?' so i say yes, and the guy starts asking me all these crazy questions like could i kick his ass(didn't know what to say to that). he then pretty much offered me the job, i'm guessing he was abit of a fanboy, but the point is i can see how that would've gone the other way, how he might've thought i was some thug, because he doesn't know just how much effort and discipline it takes to get a black belt(i'm not a black belt by the way)

thoughts?

If you're right out of college and don't have much else to put, it's not so bad putting such extracurricular things that demonstrate ambition, motivation, etc.

After a certain point of experience... after a few years or so... if people still have things that aren't specific to the actual industry and actual work experience on their resume, it is looked at as fluff and people see right through the attempt.

However, it also can help immensely to point out specifics about yourself for a few reasons:

1) As with your example, there is a chance that the interviewer will be into the same things as you and then you basically hit a home run.

2) Even if they aren't into it specifically, it personifies you and helps you stand out in their minds. You're not just one of a billion finance grads with a 3.0 GPA who they were forced to sit through another boring conversation with about your stupid undergrad classes... after all, they're also interviewing you to see if you're someone they wanna see 5 days a week... are you "cool" and "normal"... making yourself into a real person is better than being yet another resume.

So my advice, FWIW, is to not put anything like BJJ on your actual resume (unless you are really just out of college) but make damned sure it comes up either in the conversation, phone interview, cover letter (that many people don't read, though) or in some other casual context. Not as bragging but as an aside that you mention and hope they "take the bait" and ask about it further (which they probably will).

I liken it to flirting with girls in a bar or something. Sure, if you make a lot of money, drive a nice car, and are a BJJ black belt, it can all help you get laid... but going right up to a girl and saying it it soo obvious.. so maybe you make it look like you just happen to mention it in conversation or something rather than just walking up to the girl and saying "Hi, I'm a trader, I drive a BMW and I have a black belt in BJJ, wanna come home with me?"

You don't even need persistence or BS. Just look for the ones wearing glitter and with the sniffles.

this is true but that's usually for the high end bars and normally around the South Beach area.

Between Dade, Broward County and Palm Beach County there are at least nine colleges I can think of. There are so many "models", tourists and recent transplants nationally and internationally not to mention slutty locals.

If you put all that together that is the making of a target rich environment.

Ofcourse I would defend myself whats the point of taking up a martial arts. But at the same time are you going to fight all guys who power check you? Im sure you have some idea of guys you could take on and beat and others who probably kick your ass of give you a good match. That's all Im saying. Go to a club or any party where people are drunk your gonna get assholes. So if they piss you off or hurt your ego you gonna armbar him or choke him out?

yes... if they piss on my shit then they deserve to get whooped

you left that guy off pretty easy. I definetly wouldn't let a guy like that in my house, and if he pissed in my house and hit me too: I definetly would've been less merciful than you were(thats if I could've taken him). Congrats though. Hilarious story.

Well that'd be the second best solution.

The ideal solution (in hindsight) would be for your game to have been better at the bar so that you had a girl to bring home.

This way when your friends wanted to crash at your place, you wouldn't have let them and this whole ordeal would have been averted.

And whether or not you still ended up rolling around in urine with another person would have depended on what you and the girl were into. But I think that'd be a story for another forum.

Did anyone else read this? I think this is probably the best response of the thread.

thoughts?

When you say "you" are you talking about us...the BJJ community? Because I know that if someone put BJJ on their resume and they had a purple or brown belt, I'd be impressed as hell. Now, I wouldn't elevate them above someone else with superior qualifications otherwise. Extra curricular activities are one of the last things considered, but in a tie or near tie, they can make the difference. In the professional world, we're usually decided that anyone we invite for a second interview, we'd be happy to hire. Now we're just looking for those that we'd like to work with. For me a BJJ guy would be great. Not everyone is going to understand what a purple or brown belt means though.

thoughts?

my thoughs are he "picked up" on the fact you did BJJ becasue you were wearing a tapout rash shirt under you're suit jacket

seriously though: It take a ton of effort to get any belt promotions in this sport frankly - I'm impressed with peoiple who have thededication to make it to Blue at a legit school

I think ground work. one against one is a very smart fight in the streets. Any one can land a punch, only some can escape full locked armbars and kimuras and have enough balance to hold mount for very long. The ground has kept me fairly unscathed every fight I've been in....Kudos for the much deserved ass kickin

whenever I get into a fight I always go for neck cranks. There is nothing better then feeling the neck compress and the the other person panic. Its the simple things in life

Back