my first grappling tournament

fatu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Joslins 2006 - happened in November of 2006. i fought in beg 170-185, won 4/5 fights (3 subs, one point win) and got silver. didnt wanna post it on sherdog at first but what the hell, flame away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOszgN0YAN0

You suck!

Seriously, damn good work, especially as it was your first tournament.

you looked really good out there, how long have you been training for?

thanks guys!

i had been training for about 10 months at the time..

Nice man....I was there competing in the same division. Did you attend the 1st Grand prix tournament in T. a few weeks ago?

Sax MMA said:
Nice man....I was there competing in the same division. Did you attend the 1st Grand prix tournament in T. a few weeks ago?

oh cool.. how did you do?

no, i didnt go the the first round of the GP but i do plan on competing in march at round two.

Heres the finals match if anyone wants to see it, it was my second tournament, I might be doing one of the next round of the Ontario Grand Prix, been pretty busy with school so I couldnt do the Salvosa one.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMDeyFoCv48"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMDeyFoCv48" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ohh shit.. the one video i didnt have..

man it feels so weird to watch that fight because ive always thought about it but never had a chance to look back. i shouldnt have been so lazy with my armbar setups :(

but again congrats and good fight :D

Great match until the end. Nice omoplata and submission attempts... and escapes. Boo @ the stalling at the last 30 seconds. My philosophy is to roll as though there are only seconds left all the time.

This is pretty interesting as its the division I was going to compete in.

Unfortunately I was hurt, and hadnt trained for a few months before.

You guys seemed to have much bigger frames than me though, especially Fatu. If you dont mind me asking how tall are you?

Hopefully I'll be doing the 3rd qualifier at Kombat Arts in May, I should be back into the swing of things by then.... and maybe I can get back down to 170 (went to university and got fat).

Nice job though.

Fatu...At Joslins I lost in points in my first match (GI).....No Gi I won 2 and lost my last match on Points.

It was my first tournament as well...I did go to the first round of the Canadian GP. Only went in No Gi and finished 4th.

Overall happy and Ill be there in March,,Good luck bro

nice! yah the whole experience is most of the fun anyway.. how many people were in that divison in the GP sax?

cossack, im 6'2 and weighed in at 176 for that tournament.

fatu said:
nice! yah the whole experience is most of the fun anyway.. how many people were in that divison in the GP sax?

cossack, im 6'2 and weighed in at 176 for that tournament.

lanky bastards lol...

*starts running to get down to 170*

nice work on making placement man...congrats

fatu...16 people in the No gi 185 division....Pretty solid guys..i noticed a few guys rolling advanced Gi at Joslins competing with me @ no gi..So that was a little odd i thought.

Sax MMA said:
fatu...16 people in the No gi 185 division....Pretty solid guys..i noticed a few guys rolling advanced Gi at Joslins competing with me @ no gi..So that was a little odd i thought.

yah that doesnt make sense at all.. if you are advanced with a gi, you are advanced at jiu jitsu and :. should never be in any beginner divisions... gi or not.

but 16 thats not too bad.. better then 30 or 40+

is it ever double elimination are tournies in ontario?

Well done. You had some decent transitions there, especially triangle to omaplata. How are your sweeps? You could benefit from threatening your opponents base more from the guard. Pretty good though for only 10 months on the mat. Keep throwing that triangle, those long legs are an asset. Congrats on placing

Back