My gas station fight and why BJJ is not the ideal

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I had a violent confrontation in which I used my BJJ. After this encounter, I will be hesitant to recommend BJJ as a form of self-defense.

I was at a gas station standing in a very long line to pay for my soda. Another register opened up and the guy at the cashier said "I can take the next person in the line here." The line then split into two. A customer, who was not even in the first line approached the cash register and became the first in line. Since a new register had opened up and a new line was forming, no one raised an issue. The line just reversed itself and I stood behind him and the person who was ahead of me stood behind me. In other words, the order had now reversed itself and the last in the line was being served ahead of me. None of us saw that as a situation to raise an issue so we allowed this new guy to be served as he was the first to arrive on that new register.

When my turn came, this other fellow who had not even left the first line to join the second one, started cussing me out. It started with him saying "Do you even understand English mate? Did you not hear what the man said? He said he will take the person next in line and you were not the next in line! You took this guys spot! Fuck you!"

I was a bit surprised because firstly, he could have raised this issue with the guy who was served ahead of me but he waited for me to be at the cash register so that he could ambush me. I am not white and therefore he had assumed that I do not speak English. Secondly, he was expecting that I will hold the spot for a third person who was ahead of me and who had neither left the first line to join the second one, nor shown any intention!!! And here I was being cussed out for not knowing English and for being the second one in a line which had reversed due to the new register being opened? Even if someone wanted my spot and they had shown the intent then as a courtesy I would allow them even though the person behind me who was now ahead of me had not offered me the same courtesy but this fellow was just cussing me out.

I was thinking should I even engage this guy? He is obviously a racist. He has waited very patiently and silently until I reached the cash register and then created this scene but other than a cussing and accusing me of not knowing English, he has not really assaulted me. When he saw that I was only responding back with a blank emotionless look, he became more convinced that I do not understand English and he can engage in more verbal abuse. So he comes closer and says something along the lines of "Ya! Just stand there and stare at me you illiterate, miserable fuck!"

That is when I thought that the law that gives him freedom of expression to abuse me also gives me the freedom to respond back verballyh. After that I raise my voice back at him and told him "Watch your tone and behave yourself or I will give you a lesson in English language your mother never gave you, you pathetic piece of shit!"

He was totally shell shocked for an instant. He said, "You took another mans spot you miserable fuck!"

I told him, "You want me to hold the spot for a man who has not even left his line? You could have had this conversation with the fellow ahead of me but you did not. You waited dude! I am going to give you a real reason to hate me you racist piece of shit."

He spoke a few words and then spat at me but missed. I told him, "If that spit lands on me, I will tear you another ass hole!"

The person at the cash register told this guy "Can we please keep the line moving sir? You have already paid for your things and you have no reason to be here now."

He says to him "I am going to leave but I will do this first," and then he head butts me. I anticipated the head butt and leaned back catching his forehead against my chin. After that I closed the gap on him, took him down with a double leg and landed on my knee! I am 214 lbs and landing on my knee on concrete was not pleasant but the adrenaline was high so I did not care at that point. He clawed backwards kicking and I moved on my knees towards him to get a knee on belly. When I placed all my weight on his chest, his eyeballs were coming out.

I told him I am going to keep pressure until the cops arrive and I will press charges for the head butt. He could not say much. People started calling the cops and I kept my knee on him. Then he said he could not breath and I felt someone is recording with a cell phone and this man is saying "I can not breath." So I stood up and he lay there in fetal position.

By the time the cops came, he had already apologized and said, "Dude I am going through some personal shit. Let me buy you a drink." That was his way of saying that I do not press charges. So I helped him up on his feet and then we were cool. When the cops came, the officer spoke to the gas station people and then asked if either of us would want to press charges? We were like nope. He spent a few minutes speaking to this guy alone and then left.

My knee was bad. It made me realize that all these knee drops that we take for granted on the mat are not pleasant when attempted on hard concrete. Yes you can win a fight and protect yourself with BJJ but it may not feel too good after that. As I look back, the logical thing on my part should have been to knock him out. He had already assaulted me and a Kyokushin blow to the body would have put him out and kept me standing. Add a few low kicks and a body blow and he is out and unable to even get up. But ... due to my BJJ training, my combat reflexes made me act the way I would act in a stand up rolling session and that would be with a takedown.

I had been skeptical about how much of BJJ is applicable in a street fight and this encounter added a bit to my own skepticism. I do believe that it still has a place if someone else gets you down but I am not convinced that it should be your first impulse. Knock the guy out and walk away seems to be the better option. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Care to schedule a BJJ roll on concrete sometime?

Assuming a 11 year old account is not trolling-

This was a fine outcome.

Let's say you hit him, he drops, hits his head, has major concussion / TBI. People may debate if you acted appropriately, if they didn't see the head butt, etc.

Better to take down and control than knock out in a verbal altercation that you helped escalate.

If this even happened.

So I had a violent confrontation in which I used my BJJ. After this encounter, I will be hesitant to recommend BJJ as a form of self-defense.

I was at a gas station standing in a very long line to pay for my soda. Another register opened up and the guy at the cashier said "I can take the next person in the line here." The line then split into two. A customer, who was not even in the first line approached the cash register and became the first in line. Since a new register had opened up and a new line was forming, no one raised an issue. The line just reversed itself and I stood behind him and the person who was ahead of me stood behind me. In other words, the order had now reversed itself and the last in the line was being served ahead of me. None of us saw that as a situation to raise an issue so we allowed this new guy to be served as he was the first to arrive on that new register.

When my turn came, this other fellow who had not even left the first line to join the second one, started cussing me out. It started with him saying "Do you even understand English mate? Did you not hear what the man said? He said he will take the person next in line and you were not the next in line! You took this guys spot! Fuck you!"

I was a bit surprised because firstly, he could have raised this issue with the guy who was served ahead of me but he waited for me to be at the cash register so that he could ambush me. I am not white and therefore he had assumed that I do not speak English. Secondly, he was expecting that I will hold the spot for a third person who was ahead of me and who had neither left the first line to join the second one, nor shown any intention!!! And here I was being cussed out for not knowing English and for being the second one in a line which had reversed due to the new register being opened? Even if someone wanted my spot and they had shown the intent then as a courtesy I would allow them even though the person behind me who was now ahead of me had not offered me the same courtesy but this fellow was just cussing me out.

I was thinking should I even engage this guy? He is obviously a racist. He has waited very patiently and silently until I reached the cash register and then created this scene but other than a cussing and accusing me of not knowing English, he has not really assaulted me. When he saw that I was only responding back with a blank emotionless look, he became more convinced that I do not understand English and he can engage in more verbal abuse. So he comes closer and says something along the lines of "Ya! Just stand there and stare at me you illiterate, miserable fuck!"

That is when I thought that the law that gives him freedom of expression to abuse me also gives me the freedom to respond back verballyh. After that I raise my voice back at him and told him "Watch your tone and behave yourself or I will give you a lesson in English language your mother never gave you, you pathetic piece of shit!"

He was totally shell shocked for an instant. He said, "You took another mans spot you miserable fuck!"

I told him, "You want me to hold the spot for a man who has not even left his line? You could have had this conversation with the fellow ahead of me but you did not. You waited dude! I am going to give you a real reason to hate me you racist piece of shit."

He spoke a few words and then spat at me but missed. I told him, "If that spit lands on me, I will tear you another ass hole!"

The person at the cash register told this guy "Can we please keep the line moving sir? You have already paid for your things and you have no reason to be here now."

He says to him "I am going to leave but I will do this first," and then he head butts me. I anticipated the head butt and leaned back catching his forehead against my chin. After that I closed the gap on him, took him down with a double leg and landed on my knee! I am 214 lbs and landing on my knee on concrete was not pleasant but the adrenaline was high so I did not care at that point. He clawed backwards kicking and I moved on my knees towards him to get a knee on belly. When I placed all my weight on his chest, his eyeballs were coming out.

I told him I am going to keep pressure until the cops arrive and I will press charges for the head butt. He could not say much. People started calling the cops and I kept my knee on him. Then he said he could not breath and I felt someone is recording with a cell phone and this man is saying "I can not breath." So I stood up and he lay there in fetal position.

By the time the cops came, he had already apologized and said, "Dude I am going through some personal shit. Let me buy you a drink." That was his way of saying that I do not press charges. So I helped him up on his feet and then we were cool. When the cops came, the officer spoke to the gas station people and then asked if either of us would want to press charges? We were like nope. He spent a few minutes speaking to this guy alone and then left.

My knee was bad. It made me realize that all these knee drops that we take for granted on the mat are not pleasant when attempted on hard concrete. Yes you can win a fight and protect yourself with BJJ but it may not feel too good after that. As I look back, the logical thing on my part should have been to knock him out. He had already assaulted me and a Kyokushin blow to the body would have put him out and kept me standing. Add a few low kicks and a body blow and he is out and unable to even get up. But ... due to my BJJ training, my combat reflexes made me act the way I would act in a stand up rolling session and that would be with a takedown.

I had been skeptical about how much of BJJ is applicable in a street fight and this encounter added a bit to my own skepticism. I do believe that it still has a place if someone else gets you down but I am not convinced that it should be your first impulse. Knock the guy out and walk away seems to be the better option. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Care to schedule a BJJ roll on concrete sometime?
I do get in physical altercations on almost weekly basis- driving in Bulgaria can get you in road rage accidents at any moment, mostly caused by youngsters.
I have posted a few videos of myself, holding people down, till police arrives

Majority of times, a calm demeanor in such situation, will defuse it.
Sometimes it doesn't.

Here are a few tips I can give you:

1. Never strike a person in such situation.
It will he considered an aggravated assault/ battery in court.
Only use strikes, when you or your family are seriously threatened.

2. Learn how to clinch and throw/takedown, landing opponent on his back.
Dont use big amplitude throws, until your life is threatened.

3. Use pins.
Keep him down, watch both of his arms for weapons, and NEVER use submissions (attempted murder in court).

4. No matter what he promises, do not release him, until police arrives.
Once I had a situation, where I let the guy get up, then he proceeded with trying to run me over with his car.

Your mistake is not wearing kneepads. Seriously though you should never wait till they hit you. If they are up in your personal space then defend yourself. You don't have to hit them but don't let them hit you.

4. No matter what he promises, do not release him, until police arrives.
Once I had a situation, where I let the guy get up, then he proceeded with trying to run me over with his car.
When I was much, much younger, i.e., in grade school, there was a kid who beat me up multiple times. Every time we fought, I easily hiptossed him to the ground and controlled him. He'd flail around helplessly and beg me to let him up. Problem was, each time I let him up, he punched me in the face, got the advantage and made me big for mercy. It happened at least twice.

Look at the this way: if you fucked him up by beating the shit out of him standing you probably would have been the one who had charges against them. Sounds like your British or Australian and not sure how the law is there but in my state in the US prosecutors have a field day with anyone trained involved in a fight.

Last edited:
Baiana, not double leg. Gracie clinch takedown is even better.

Never let him get close enough to head butt.

Should have pressed charges.

I agree with the other posters about going for the clinch take downs. Also this idea that you could just hit him with body shots and he will go down isn't guaranteed. Sure maybe that's what will happen. You could also throw a body punch and he powers through it and knocks you out with a lucky well placed punch.

My one experience with BJJ takedowns. I used the clinch and easily took this guy down with no damage to me or him. I barely even train TD's cause I just do this for fun. I could care less about self defense. I always start in seated position and just go from there.

Last edited:
Osoto gari is all what was needed and no need to injure/hurt knees
If he was wearing a sleeveless top? No problem adjust your grip and dig your fingers in hard

Also much less energy required than diving for a double
Osotogari on a concrete would most probably cause concussion, hence aggravated battery.

Im my experience, best is to charge against a wall/parked car and get top position in the scramble with low altitude takedowns (anything in the range from ankle picks~lateral drop).

I agree with the other posters about going for the clinch take downs. Also this idea that you could just hit him with body shots and he will go down isn't guaranteed. Sure maybe that's what will happen. You could also throw a body punch and he powers through it and knocks you out with a lucky well placed punch.

I see the sense of what you are saying. My own background prior to BJJ used to be Kyokushin. If I hit that fellow with a Kyokushin punch, he was going down. It would not be a single punch but body blow + low kick + body blow + low kick until he drops. Most untrained people will drop at the first hit. Trained fighters will take a few hits before they fall. I do see the premise behind BJJ. It is based on the assumption that the other guy is a better striker than you. In that case, I would never go toe-to-toe trading blows and then BJJ would make perfect sense.

Look at the this way: if you fucked him up by beating the shit out of him standing you probably would have been the one who had charges against them. Sounds like your British or Australian and not sure how the law is there but in my state in the US prosecutors have a field day with anyone trained involved in a fight.

Jesus. What state?

Osoto gari is all what was needed and no need to injure/hurt knees
If he was wearing a sleeveless top? No problem adjust your grip and dig your fingers in hard

Also much less energy required than diving for a double

Osoto is good.

I like arm drags to the back, standing RNC. Or just poke them in the fucking eye. I don't give a shit in a street fight. I fight super dirty. I'll use a weapon, whatever. It's not a competition at that point.

OP, I think you did fine. You hurt your knee, but you won. It's tricky to come out of a fight unscathed. If you punched him, you could always break a hand, hit him in the mouth and end up with an infection, any number of things.

I think kicks are good if you're trained. Leg and body kicks. Punching in the head leads to broken hands. I've probably known more people to break their hands in fights than to get clean knockouts.

Also, even with takedowns, you don't have to follow them to the ground. I think it's better not to actually.

In any case you came out of it OK. Shit happens.

Ice your knee lol

Where do you live, BTW?

I see the sense of what you are saying. My own background prior to BJJ used to be Kyokushin. If I hit that fellow with a Kyokushin punch, he was going down. It would not be a single punch but body blow + low kick + body blow + low kick until he drops. Most untrained people will drop at the first hit. Trained fighters will take a few hits before they fall. I do see the premise behind BJJ. It is based on the assumption that the other guy is a better striker than you. In that case, I would never go toe-to-toe trading blows and then BJJ would make perfect sense.

If you say so man. My cousin trained boxing for most of his life and he was great at body shots and not even he was dropping everyone with body shots. I've seen him fight more times then I can even remember at this point at the bars\clubs we would go to. The one thing I did learn from him is that head movement is king. I've seen him fight four people and whoop their ass because they can't land a punch on him. He also had knock out power. I watched him knock out a grown man in his 30's when he was 16.

It's also not just about being a better striker. One guy that my cousin knocked out fell on the concrete and busted his head. Me and him were 100% positive that he killed that guy. You hit someone with a hard body shot or knock them out and they fall to the floor and hit their head. Your going to jail.

Not sure what state you are in but this is 100% not the case in Texas. You headbutt somebody and you better believe that person has the right to lay you out. Doesn't mean they get to beat the shit out you until you are in coma but you do have the right to defend yourself.

Jesus. What state?

Osoto is good.

I like arm drags to the back, standing RNC. Or just poke them in the fucking eye. I don't give a shit in a street fight. I fight super dirty. I'll use a weapon, whatever. It's not a competition at that point.

OP, I think you did fine. You hurt your knee, but you won. It's tricky to come out of a fight unscathed. If you punched him, you could always break a hand, hit him in the mouth and end up with an infection, any number of things.

I think kicks are good if you're trained. Leg and body kicks. Punching in the head leads to broken hands. I've probably known more people to break their hands in fights than to get clean knockouts.

Also, even with takedowns, you don't have to follow them to the ground. I think it's better not to actually.

In any case you came out of it OK. Shit happens.

Ice your knee lol

Where do you live, BTW?

A good eye gouge and a swift kick to the family jewels works wonders, then slap on a RNC

I like your style lol

Back