My latest knife, just finished

She's a beaut! Looks ready to gouge into somethings stomach and through it's ribcage...

KDwCQTw.jpg

SZ9vEGf.jpg

14 cm blade, 27 cm overall. 4.3 mm thick
Silver steel (115CrV3) blade
60HRC
Birch burl handle scales with stainless steel pins

A present for my workmate Simon.

No hand sanding on this blade. Just 120 grit belt finish straight off the belt grinder.

Nice craftsmanship. Good work my friend.

That’s awesome man! I have always wanted to be able to make knives like that. I am starting a collection and recently got a Kukri from Nepal.

That’s a beauty right there, excellent work!

That’s awesome man! I have always wanted to be able to make knives like that. I am starting a collection and recently got a Kukri from Nepal.

That’s a beauty right there, excellent work!

Thank you!

I love a nice kukri, its certainly on my ever growing list of knives I want to make. I just have an oversized tourist trap Kukri that I got from an old friend years ago. Its obscenely large. The blade is 30 inches long and heavy as hell.

Very nice!
Looking on the imgur link ,the next sign makes it look likes it have a glass breaker/skull crusher on it.

Looks good! I’ve been a machinist for 20+ years. I keep wanting to look into how knives are made and try to make one but haven’t gotten around to it.

KDwCQTw.jpg

SZ9vEGf.jpg

14 cm blade, 27 cm overall. 4.3 mm thick
Silver steel (115CrV3) blade
60HRC
Birch burl handle scales with stainless steel pins

A present for my workmate Simon.

No hand sanding on this blade. Just 120 grit belt finish straight off the belt grinder.

Nice.

Looks good! I’ve been a machinist for 20+ years. I keep wanting to look into how knives are made and try to make one but haven’t gotten around to it.
Its a blast. I'd highly recommend. I took the plunge a while back now I have a forge and anvil and really enjoy it

Your background gives you a leg up for sure. I was a welder and I think that gave me an advantage starting out. Just being used to working with steel translates very well to knifemaking.

Look up youtubers like Trollsky, Walter Sorrells, Gough Custom, Simple little life. They all have great videos on knifemaking for beginners.

You can get by with an angle grinder, files, a cordless drill and sandpaper for your first blades before deciding if you want to invest in a big belt grinder. You can also by a 50 dollar 1x30 belt grinder, lots of bladesmiths start with that, just to dip their toe without investing too much money. And if you never make another knife, I guarantee you that you'll find a use for that little grinder in some DIY project in the future. I've used mine for all kinds of things that have nothing to do with knifemaking.

And for heat treatment, making a little charcoal forge is dead simple. You literally only need a blowdryer, a pipe, some firebricks and a hole in the ground. Buy a length of 1084 carbon steel, its easy to heat treat, just heat up until a magnet doesnt stick to it and quench in warm canola oil. If a file skates on the surface without biting, you should be good. Then temper it by putting it in your kitchen oven at around 420 F for an hour, let it cool, then another hour at 420, and you're done.

Once again, very nicely done sir.

Back