My opinion on Jon as a recovering alcoholic/addict

winkydinks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Little about myself. I was a trainwreck for about 7 years. My drugs of choice throughout that time were alcohol, speed, and copious amounts of cannabis, although I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. Point is I was fucked up 24/7. I'll be five years clean in July.

The definition of addiction is continuing to use a substance or engage in an activity despite negative consequences in one's life. I think we can all agree that Jon fits that bill.

Ultimately, Jon's not going to stop getting fucked up until continuing to use becomes more painful for him than getting clean is. Everyone's rock bottom is different, and a lot of people hit there's only to simply become bottom feeders. Mine was a prolonged period of intense depression and suicidality. Who knows what Jon's is. Maybe this most recent arrest will be. Maybe the loss of his career will. Maybe losing his family will do it. He might go to prison, he might end up homeless (he'll blow through his money), and he might continue on despite these things. No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.

I've always been a fan of Bones, and a lot of it comes from the fact that I sympathize with the man. I personally thought he had turned over a new leaf when he said in an interview some time ago that he wasn't using anything. Recently this statement change when Jon said he goes out and drinks socially like other people. I was concerned, and sure enough, he just proved that he doesn't. The fan in me wants to see him keep fighting. The person in me wants to see him get help. If this DWI is Jon's bottom, there's still time for him to do both. If he doesn't, his career will be over sooner rather than later. Jon's been a PR nightmare for Dana, and even he will say enough's enough at some point. Personally, I don't like it when people lose their jobs because of legal problems when they continue to be present and productive at work, but that's not the way the world works. Jon will end up absent and useless due to the nature of his legal problems, which is why I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point. I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person. On the other hand, I think his sickness turns him into a wretch at times. He's been protected, and subsequently needs to be told that this protection will be gone if he doesn't get better.

I also think that any of Jon's haters who take pleasure in any of this are disgusting human beings. Shaking your head is one thing. Licking your lips is another.

Why not just tweet him?

Weird you made the post so much about yourself.

I think he was just stressed out because of the Sherdog migration

<Fedor23>

He's only sorry because he got caught. All his problems are his own doing. Not gonna sympathise with a millionaire for fucking himself over. Literally all he has to do is stay out of prison.

Most of us don't get second, third or fourth chances. I hope he sees the inside of a prison. He's gotten away with too much already.

Why not just tweet him?

Weird you made the post so much about yourself.
1. I don't use twitter
2. I just thought my perspective might be somewhat unique. Didn't think that a few sentences about myself followed by two paragraphs about Jon was making the post "about myself".

I also think that any of Jon's haters who take pleasure in any of this are disgusting human beings. Shaking your head is one thing. Licking your lips is another.
The problem with this is that jon and addicts like him tend to step on, shit on, cheat and steal from decent people during their downfall. It’s not unnatural or even immoral to find joy in seeing a guy who has directly harmed other people in so many different ways (especially while being an arrogant asshole in doing so) get what is so clearly coming his way.

Feels like justice, because it is justice

1. I don't use twitter
2. I just thought my perspective might be somewhat unique. Didn't think that a few sentences about myself followed by two paragraphs about Jon was making the post "about myself".
Loads of drug users/ex users here.

Nothing about your “experiences” are unique at all.

I find it kind of weird that the all time great in this sport is a version of this guy..

tenor.gif

Little about myself. I was a trainwreck for about 7 years. My drugs of choice throughout that time were alcohol, speed, and copious amounts of cannabis, although I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. Point is I was fucked up 24/7. I'll be five years clean in July.

The definition of addiction is continuing to use a substance or engage in an activity despite negative consequences in one's life. I think we can all agree that Jon fits that bill.

Ultimately, Jon's not going to stop getting fucked up until continuing to use becomes more painful for him than getting clean is. Everyone's rock bottom is different, and a lot of people hit there's only to simply become bottom feeders. Mine was a prolonged period of intense depression and suicidality. Who knows what Jon's is. Maybe this most recent arrest will be. Maybe the loss of his career will. Maybe losing his family will do it. He might go to prison, he might end up homeless (he'll blow through his money), and he might continue on despite these things. No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.

I've always been a fan of Bones, and a lot of it comes from the fact that I sympathize with the man. I personally thought he had turned over a new leaf when he said in an interview some time ago that he wasn't using anything. Recently this statement change when Jon said he goes out and drinks socially like other people. I was concerned, and sure enough, he just proved that he doesn't. The fan in me wants to see him keep fighting. The person in me wants to see him get help. If this DWI is Jon's bottom, there's still time for him to do both. If he doesn't, his career will be over sooner rather than later. Jon's been a PR nightmare for Dana, and even he will say enough's enough at some point. Personally, I don't like it when people lose their jobs because of legal problems when they continue to be present and productive at work, but that's not the way the world works. Jon will end up absent and useless due to the nature of his legal problems, which is why I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point. I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person. On the other hand, I think his sickness turns him into a wretch at times. He's been protected, and subsequently needs to be told that this protection will be gone if he doesn't get better.

Thanks for sharing man. I hope you stay clean and keep your priorities straight. It sounds like you have an excellent head on your shoulders to do so.

At this point who cares... Jon’s a fucking fool.

He had plenty of chances. He comes from a wealthy family. Brothers are athletes, he himself is well off. He’s surrounded by JacksonWink and all of those “world class” trainers.

He’s just a scum bag, that’s his core character -> like DC said in that interview a long time ago.

Jones seems to be the type that talks the talk but does not walk the walk.

Maybe he is constitutionally incapable of being honest with himself.

The problem with this is that jon and addicts like him tend to step on, shit on, cheat and steal from decent people during their downfall. It’s not unnatural or even immoral to find joy in seeing a guy who has directly harmed other people in so many different ways (especially while being an arrogant asshole in doing so) get what is so clearly coming his way.

Feels like justice, because it is justice
1. Hence why I made note that that addiction turns Jon into a wretch. My point is that Jon will end up in a darker place than you can imagine.
2. The only time I've seen arrogance from Jon is in regards to his fighting skills, which you know, a lot of fighters are. I think Jon's been relatively mild in proportion to his talent. When has he been arrogant regarding any of this stuff?

1. Hence why I made note that that addiction turns Jon into a wretch. My point is that Jon will end up in a darker place than you can imagine.
2. The only time I've seen arrogance from Jon is in regards to his fighting skills, which you know, a lot of fighters are. I think Jon's been relatively mild in proportion to his talent. When has he been arrogant regarding any of this stuff?
He’s generally an arrogant guy. However, I actually was speaking in regards to fighting, because he’s a liar and a cheat within the sport as well. They’re traits of his.

This world is going to shit. he has no role models. No ambitions anymore. It's a boring fucking life. Only joy the man can have is by getting drunk.

It's really hard to see because this man has a family. He has kids. How does he not see his actions impact so many people.

I have been in Jon's position when I was young.... Twice ... I wasn't a family man then and my actions were stupid but now I have matured out of them.

I sympathize with addicts. I know at least two personally.

I don't sympathize with assholes. I know too many already.

Jon is both so fuck'em.

Brave of you to be so forthright about your past issues, and congrats on 5yrs in recovery. That's great. I'm sure you had a few wobbles along the way but you stayed the course.
- I genuinely wish you well man on your continued journey.
More power to you.

Jones seems to be the type that talks the talk but does not walk the walk.

Maybe he is constitutionally incapable of being honest with himself.

Right out of the “big book”.

And Jones needs to make it his bible.

To the TS. Many here are in recovery, or trying to get there. Myself, I’ve had very long periods of being clean, and sober. But, even now being back on the crazy train. I’ve never been accused of, or committed crimes that Jones has been convicted of.

There is no excuse, and no justification for so flagrantly breaking the law, so often. The man is rich, he can afford to take a taxi. How can a person justify shooting off a gun like that? How about choking a waitress in a strip bar? Hit and run?

Holy crap.

You kids gotta expand those noggins. Homeboy isnt "defending"Jones, whatever the fuck that means.

How can a person justify shooting off a gun like that?
I'd like to know WHAT he was shooting at. or was it just a random "hey i'll just fire a round at a tree at 1am for no particular reason". I mean he may eventually admit it (they have the shell-casing and they could match it to his semi-auto pistol they found under his seat) or he may continue to deny it with some "I do not recall" kinda defense.
I mean all he had to do was stay home. Get drunk at home -- sure that's easy and safe. Playing with guns in public when you've had 3/4 of a bottle of tequila (in all probability) is just asking for a whole heap of trouble and, of course, he could have killed someone.

Back