my training at Superpro in Koh Samui Thailand (VIDEO)

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
My training at superpro camp for 4 weeks.

So i just came back to Norway after a 4 week trip to Thailand. This time i did not go to Chumphon or Chiang Mai. This time i wanted to try something different. So i decided to give the superpro camp in samui a try. I have been looking at their webpage for some time. And after watching the latest episode of "The Reem", and also watching quite a few videos from Superpro's youtube channel, i felt like this was a camp i could enjoy. Also: Koh Samui looked like a cool place.

So me and my girlfriend got on the plane and went to Thailand. After a 15 hour trip, we finaly landed in BKK. Instead of going to Koh Samui right away, we stayed in BKK for three days. Then the plan was to go to Koh Samui to train hard right away.. I did some light training in BKK. But nothing to serious. Then the shit started...

After two days in BKK, i got food poisoning after eating Chicken Tikka at a Indian food place.. This was not good. I spendt the next 3 days more or less in the bed and at the toilet. :icon_neut

We finaly got to Koh Samui after a few not so great days.. But i was still weak after the food poisoning stuff. So after checking inn at our room at Superpro. I did mostly light training there. I had to run to the toliet like ten times during each training session. Not fun at all.

superpro01.jpg

So the first week was over. And by the start of the 2nd week, i finaly felt better. So i could start training.

Compared to most other gyms i have trained at in Thailand, This camp was a little different. First of all its very focused on cardio. The techniques and the training is also very boxing oriented compared to most gyms i have seen in Thailand. But dont get me wrong. You still get alot of great training for your kicks, elbows, and clinching game.

The Muay Thai training are two session each day, 6 days a week. The morning session starts at 08:00 and last until 10:00. The afternoon session goes from 17:00 - 19:00. Every session follows more or less the same format. And it looks like this:

- 20 or 25 minutes of running or skipping.
- wraps hands and start steching.
- 3-5 rounds of shadowboxing (boxing or muay thai).
- Bagwork. Either free form, or you will get some combination to work on..
- 3-5 rounds of Thai pads or boxing mitts.
- dutch drilling (combinations in the gloves), or some training on blocking/countering
- finish with alot of knees and push-kicks on the bags, sit-ups and other stuff
- stretching

monday wednesday and fridays are pure sparring days. and that was alot of fun. many great fighters to spar with. even the thai coaches would do sparring. it was a good mix of pro fighters, amateur fighters, martial artist and the real thai fighters. :icon_chee

superpro02.jpg

The training was good. I did not get a fight. And that was a shame. But i understand why. I lost one solid week from being sick. And i was way to heavy to get a fight against a local Thai guy. But the training and sparrring still made it worth the trip.

Keng and Beau (Chonlek) was the two trainers i had most to do with. They helped me alot. I also sparred with both og them. Keng was super fun to spar with. And Beau was a great pad holder.

superpro03.jpg

Superpro is without a doubt the most fancy and coolest gym i have stayed at. The place is great. It got four full size boxing rings, a big MMA cage, a grappling area, a big area with alot of heavy bags, a fitness gym with everything you will ever need: free weights, kettlebells, medicine balls, and much more.

It also have a small restaurant, a swimming pool, and they sell things like protein shakes, energy drinks, fighting gear, and much more.

So yeah. I had three weeks with great training. I can write more later. I also filmed some trainingstuff. I will edit it into a small video later. :)

Last edited:
Nice review! Sucks you got food poisoning. Looking forward to some vids!

That sounds awesome. Great review.

Nice Review!

Where did you train in BKK? I'm going to be in BKK for a few days next month and was tyring to figure out a good gym for a couple drop in sessions.

Sounds great, have you bulked up since your debut? looking tst

My weight is almost the same as last year when i did my first pro fight. But i have lower bodyfat. So i guess i have put on some muscle.

The days before i went to Koh Samui, i just trained at a small hotell muay thai gym near Khao san. Not a good gym. I was better then every thai training there (says more about them then me). But i had a few good heavybag sessions there.

When i left Koh Samui to go back home to Norway, I stayed in BKK for three days before the plane left. So i asked my kru at superpro (Chonlek) if he knew a good gym near khao san road. And he said to check out Keawsamrit Gym. Thats also a good gym.

Hi Frode,

Good write up, it sounds great and sounds like exactly what I'm looking for this winter.

-How much did it cost to train there for a month?

-did you stay at the camp? yes or no, can you tell me how much you spent on accommodation?

-What is your weight? I walk around 90kg but can easily cut to 85kg, When I was in Phuket, I was around this weight and I was able to get fights.

thanks!!!

-How much did it cost to train there for a month?

If you pain only for training. I think its about 7000 baht for a month. But i paid for a month training and accommodation. That was 30.000 baht for a month for me and my girlfriend. with all access to the gym. you can train whatever you want. How much you want (muay thai, mma, fitness, cardio, yoga, ect)

-did you stay at the camp? yes or no, can you tell me how much you spent on accommodation?

I did. The rooms are great. But we stayed at the normal hotelrooms on the gym. With air con and private bathroom, tv, refrigerator.. They also have some even more fancy rooms. and more cheap fan rooms.

-What is your weight? I walk around 90kg but can easily cut to 85kg, When I was in Phuket, I was around this weight and I was able to get fights.

I walk around at 77 kg.

The days before i went to Koh Samui, i just trained at a small hotell muay thai gym near Khao san. Not a good gym. I was better then every thai training there (says more about them then me). But i had a few good heavybag sessions there.

When i left Koh Samui to go back home to Norway, I stayed in BKK for three days before the plane left. So i asked my kru at superpro (Chonlek) if he knew a good gym near khao san road. And he said to check out Keawsamrit Gym. Thats also a good gym.

Thanks for the reply. I've been Keawsamrit before, and it is a good gym, but I think I'm gonna try somewhere closer in to central bangkok/silom area.

I just put a video in the open post of this thread.

If you pain only for training. I think its about 7000 baht for a month. But i paid for a month training and accommodation. That was 30.000 baht for a month for me and my girlfriend. with all access to the gym. you can train whatever you want. How much you want (muay thai, mma, fitness, cardio, yoga, ect)

I did. The rooms are great. But we stayed at the normal hotelrooms on the gym. With air con and private bathroom, tv, refrigerator.. They also have some even more fancy rooms. and more cheap fan rooms.

I walk around at 77 kg.

Thanks for the reply, I'm giving serious thought to going here this winter.

Yeah. Send Robbie Timbers a mail before you go. So if you wanna fight, he can probably set something up for you. Being so heavy, you will have to fiight another tourist. They will not find a thai that weight 90 + kg

:)

Yeah. Send Robbie Timbers a mail before you go. So if you wanna fight, he can probably set something up for you. Being so heavy, you will have to fiight another tourist. They will not find a thai that weight 90 + kg

:)

for the reord, I'm 6'4 so I'm not really "heavy"...lol...

Yeah. But still. 85 is to heavy for fighting a thai.

I didn't have such a good experience there. I found the training to be low quality, big groups, lots of pointless group exercises, and not very good quality pad work. I found the sparring to be poor quality as well, with lots of people crammed into a single ring.

just wondering.

I think superpro is a gym where you need to be clear about why you are there. or else you are going to get stucked on the "cardio floor"

nice, thanks for the review

just wondering.

I think superpro is a gym where you need to be clear about why you are there. or else you are going to get stucked on the "cardio floor"

Can you explain this a bit more?

Back